leaking green bearing

-

steveh

Reaction score
driver side was leaking again. pulled the axle and inner seal {spring had fallen off the o ring}. Put it back together with new inner seal and flange gaskets. Is there a trick to get these things to seal?

Read other posts were guys ran an inner seal as an added precaution; but the first seal didn't do the trick. so i'm hoping this one will work...running out of ideas here. obtw, I also replaced the breather even though it wasn't clogged.

i'm no mechanic, so any advice would be greatly appreciated

thx
steve

your not supposed to run the inner seal with the green's as they are a seal bearing. that said i do. but i also RTV the bearing into the housing as i dont trust that little o ring to seal.

now if yours is leaking thru the black plastic you need a new bearing

I'm getting gear oil inside the drum. where do you run the bead of rtv...on the o ring or further back on the retainer (the thin metal ring on the bearing, that mates with the flange gasket)? like I said in op, i'm no mechanic.

if your running an inner seal there should be no oil in there, if there is you need to replace the seal and make sure its the correct size for your axles.

next you need to clean the crap out of everything, once its oil free i usually put a bead where the bearing housing is going to sit. also put a bead right on top of that o ring. after that let it sit over night or longer to let it cure. then your good to go.

axles were from dr diff...inner seal is from napa. if it don't seal up this time, i'll pull it again and use rtv when putting it back together...

axles were from dr diff...inner seal is from napa. if it don't seal up this time, i'll pull it again and use rtv when putting it back together...

dont bother... did you check the seal to the axle? make sure its a good fit?

just RTV it and be done, why dick around and have to pull it all aprt again?

your not supposed to run the inner seal with the green's as they are a seal bearing. that said i do. but i also RTV the bearing into the housing as i dont trust that little o ring to seal.

now if yours is leaking thru the black plastic you need a new bearing

it does not matter if you leave the seal in or pull it

I sure do love the factory tapered roller setup.

A sealed bearing, seals contaminants out of the bearing that is greased and sealed. It doesn't seal the lube from seeping through the bearing. You do need to use the factory axle seal to seal the diff. The factory uses greased tapered bearings. They are not oiled buy the diff. Sealed green bearings do not need service , they are sealed with grease. But you can take the seals off clean and re-grease them if you need to. Those seals to not hold the lube.

Your problem is at the inner seal. Housing or axle is not sealing the diff.

Axle bearings take grease not gear lube.

Some trucks and trailers have wet hubs cars do not.

Yeah, ball bearings have there place, but I wont use them for a 8 3/4 axle bearing. They are nothing but a cheap inferior bearing, sold under the premise of "easier to install" and "no leaks"

A sealed bearing, seals contaminants out of the bearing that is greased and sealed. It doesn't seal the lube from seeping through the bearing. You do need to use the factory axle seal to seal the diff. The factory uses greased tapered bearings. They are not oiled buy the diff. Sealed green bearings do not need service , they are sealed with grease. But you can take the seals off clean and re-grease them if you need to. Those seals to not hold the lube.

Your problem is at the inner seal. Housing or axle is not sealing the diff.

Axle bearings take grease not gear lube.

Some trucks and trailers have wet hubs cars do not.

--- xx2 ---

In regards to roller vs ball bearings,,

I've replaced more of the modern ball bearing hubs in the last 10 yrs,, than all the tapered roller bearings in 25 yrs..

I prefer the tapers,..

-
Back