LED Garage / Shop Lights?

-
I bought the lamps only and used my current 4foot fixture and cut out the ballast and wired to the 110v. The lamps I bought from light bulb depot. For $22.

I picked up one of these LED/Bluetooth speaker lights at Lowes, removed one of my existing lights, and with a little modifying, IE- cutting out the cord, hardwiring, and bypassing pull switch. I now have music at will without fumbling with radio.
upload_2017-11-1_11-20-0.png

I have 4 LED high bays in my 30 x 40 shop and they put out about 70 foot candles avg or 26,300 lumens each.
High bays are shown here LED High Bay Light, High Output - 220W and are bout $220.00/each. That's cheap considering they replace 8 400-watt HID lights (14,000 lumens each) and they only pull half the wattage.
Payback (energy savings) at $0.11/kWh takes about 4 years. From then on your saving about $105.00/year on electricity usage. That saving is based on using the shop every day for an hour. Saving increases the more you use your lights.

20161118_211717.jpg

Led attracts FAR fewer insects when the shop is open at night

I have 4 LED high bays in my 30 x 40 shop and they put out about 70 foot candles avg or 26,300 lumens each.
High bays are shown here LED High Bay Light, High Output - 220W and are bout $220.00/each. That's cheap considering they replace 8 400-watt HID lights (14,000 lumens each) and they only pull half the wattage.
Payback (energy savings) at $0.11/kWh takes about 4 years. From then on your saving about $105.00/year on electricity usage. That saving is based on using the shop every day for an hour. Saving increases the more you use your lights.

View attachment 1715106335
what city you located in?

Led attracts FAR fewer insects when the shop is open at night

I have 10 4' LED lights from Costco. Does anyone have a recommendation for spacing? My shop is 25' wide and I believe 30' deep.

I was also thinking about putting them on the walls at a 45 degree angle. Thoughts?

What next...bluetooth speaker toilets...?

Picked up my daughter one of thes too last weekend. Bluetooth shower head.

image.jpeg

Nice German shepherds!!!

I have 10 4' LED lights from Costco. Does anyone have a recommendation for spacing? My shop is 25' wide and I believe 30' deep.

I was also thinking about putting them on the walls at a 45 degree angle. Thoughts?

2 rows of 5 evenly spaced. Chain hang so they are level. Keep the short end about a foot from the ceiling.

So on the short side of your building, you would start 6.5' from wall and install one then 12' space then install one. 6.5' * 12' * 6.5'
Long side would be 3 foot from the end then 6' on centers. 3'* 6' * 6' * 6'* 6'* 3'

* represents the light.

Graphic representation below.
__ __
__ __
__ __
__ __
__ __

You may need to add a couple for task lighting in certain areas, but that layout will give you uniform lighting through out.

Last edited:

no led`s yet , but I have two 4 ft. installed on a 45 in the middle of my 16x39 garage. I like ! than two on each end of the car in the traditional manner, w/ other lights over my lathe and tables. Still dark working inside the car.

2 rows of 5 evenly spaced. Chain hang so they are level. Keep the short end about a foot from the ceiling.

So on the short side of your building, you would start 6.5' from wall and install one then 12' space then install one. 6.5' * 12' * 6.5'
Long side would be 3 foot from the end then 6' on centers. 3'* 6' * 6' * 6'* 6'* 3'

* represents the light.

Graphic representation below.
__ __
__ __
__ __
__ __
__ __

You may need to add a couple for task lighting in certain areas, but that layout will give you uniform lighting through out.

Thanks! Right now I have them going the other way (long ways) vs what you show. But they are in two rows, I evenly spaced them, but I started 4' away from the wall (read that somewhere else) and mounted them flush to the ceiling (no chains)

I think I am lacking light in the middle of the shop, where the car is. I was thinking about adding a third row.

Thanks! Right now I have them going the other way (long ways) vs what you show. But they are in two rows, I evenly spaced them, but I started 4' away from the wall (read that somewhere else) and mounted them flush to the ceiling (no chains)

I think I am lacking light in the middle of the shop, where the car is. I was thinking about adding a third row.

Most of those store bought LED strips do not put out a lot of lumens, so your probably right in thinking you need more.

Damn that shop looks awesome!!! Just curious- Did you noticed the reduced light output (105,200 vs 112,000 lumens)? Is the quality of light better than the HID's?

Also, how'd you figure the 4 yr payback? Using your scenario (1 hr/day), I got about a 9-1/2 yr payback- $880 / (2.32 kW savings * 365 hrs/yr * $0.11/kWh)

Because of my advanced age I have developed CSS (Can't See Sh¥t).

I am going to build a vertical stand with 3 48" led shop lights on wheels to roll around as I complete body repairs and begin the final paint prep.

Has anyone else done this?

I am going to build a vertical stand with 3 48" led shop lights on wheels to roll around as I complete body repairs and begin the final paint prep.

CSS , LOL

Damn that shop looks awesome!!! Just curious- Did you noticed the reduced light output (105,200 vs 112,000 lumens)? Is the quality of light better than the HID's?

No as a matter of fact, HID drop to about 70% efficiency very soon after they are first fired up, meaning that HID is really putting out about 78,000 lumens. LED is way brighter, holds its lumen output longer, and has better beam spread. Not to mention there are no damaging UV rays from this style of LED. It looks like I increased my lighting output

Also, how'd you figure the 4 yr payback? Using your scenario (1 hr/day), I got about a 9-1/2 yr payback- $880 / (2.32 kW savings * 365 hrs/yr * $0.11/kWh)

I made an error in my original calculation where I mixed 8 hours and 1 hour together in my calculation. See below for a better explanation. Your close on the 9 years though, if only used an hour a day.

A 400 watt HID lights would draw 465 watts each. That includes the ballast loss factor.
8 x 465 = 3720 watts.
3720/1000 = 3.72kw
3.72 x $0.11 x 8 hours = $3.27/day cost to operate

LED Lights are 220 watts each with no ballast loss. (4 220-watt LEDs = 8 400 watt HIDs)
4 x 220 =880 watts
880/1000 = .88KW
.88KW x $0.11 x 8 hours = $0.77/day to operate.

Every day you use them for 8 hours, you save $2.50, or $0.3125/hour.
2.50 x 88 days = $220.00. So if you use them every day for 8 hours, payback is 352 days (LESS THAN A YEAR) for 4 lights.

You would have to use them 7.7 years at an hour a day to pay back the lights. Sorry for the calculation error.

The reality is most people are in their shops more than an hour at a time. This exercise is to show the dramatic savings you can achieve with LEDS.

Last edited:

Yes. Recently. Based it on one I saw on FABO. I used an old planter dolly but had to put new casters on it. I used an old flywheel out of a Honda Civic for a heavy base and screwed it to the planter dolly and then welded a vertical rod to the flywheel. The rod is nothing but a piece cut out of an old torsion tube left over when I refurbished by garage doors. I fabbed/welded up brackets for the frame support made out of 1" tube stock and flat stock and made so it was vertically adjustable about 18" or so using fabbed up thumb screws. I used an old T8 4-bulb frame. Gutted the ballasts and rewired for 120Vac. Used an old computer cable for a cable & plug. Used 4 LED 18W 6000K high intensity frosted bulbs. I have about $50 in it. $33 of which was the bulbs, the rest went to the casters...LOL. Pics below.

bodywork light 1.jpg

bodywork light 2.jpg

bodywork light 3.jpg

Last edited:
-
Back