Lesser of two evils - screamers

-

540slant6

Mopar SB Ripper
Reaction score
Alright gents,

I'm broke and only have two manifolds in my stock. See pic, I'm running a 318 with 10:0 comp and stock stroke. I did a zero deck with the KB 9:2 pistons. I run a windage tray and stock 318 heads that are decked with comp springs. I also run an MP fuel pump eccentric and did the galley oiling mod. My cam is a purple shaft 340 grind at .444 lift. I'm running 3.90 gears and a 2,500 RPM stall. Currently running an Eddy 650 carb.
20170430_154629.jpg
Opinions? Keep in mind, I don't have a performer or any other intakes. Thanks fellas.

Is there anyway you can find the RPM range on both intakes on the internet? I would run the one that comes in at the lowest RPM. I'm thinking the gears you're running is going to help you with these open plenum intakes. I never ran either one of these intakes. The Eddy looks better. :)

I run the Torker on my teener with 650 holley dp and 3.91 rear. Port matched to the j heads. I like it just fine. Never ran a Weiand so can't help you with a comparison.

are the heads stock port size or have they been modified / port- matched. just curious, honestly SP vs. SP, i think you will split hairs on which is better. selling both and putting towards an LD4B worth considering if waiting is an option.

Alright gents,

I'm broke and only have two manifolds in my stock. See pic, I'm running a 318 with 10:0 comp and stock stroke. I did a zero deck with the KB 9:2 pistons. I run a windage tray and stock 318 heads that are decked with comp springs. I also run an MP fuel pump eccentric and did the galley oiling mod. My cam is a purple shaft 340 grind at .444 lift. I'm running 3.90 gears and a 2,500 RPM stall. Currently running an Eddy 650 carb. View attachment 1715043167 Opinions? Keep in mind, I don't have a performer or any other intakes. Thanks fellas.

Sell them both and buy a rpm air gap. The weiand is the better intake.

Based on my experience, with your high CR, your smaller head runners, the carb, gearing and stall, you are going to be fine with the single plane. Only the cam is gonna make things 'soft' at the lower end at all.....

I'm guessing a cam change will come later.

The Weiand is the better intake. If you want to sell the Weiand, let me know via a PM conversation.

In my opinion a stock cast iron 340/360 TQ intake is better than either of them. I would sell them both

The edelbrock is shinier! lol Seriously its hard to beat new technology, sell em both to Rumble, get an airgap and have a leg up on future upgrades.

The edelbrock is shinier! lol Seriously its hard to beat new technology, sell em both to Rumble, get an airgap and have a leg up on future upgrades.
Thanks for all the input fellas! Looks like I may just need to sell both and round up some funds for an Airgap!

I'm running in the Mason Dixon Mopar show in a few weeks so time is a wastin.

I'm a firm believer in using what is on hand; selling the 2 and buying one is a possibility, only one of them is a sure sale at the moment, may be a while before anyone wants the Edelbrock, in the mean time, times a waistin', you're wanting to drive your car only you can't cuz no one has bought the other intake and you don't have any spare cash to buy the new one yet..........

Just bolt one of them down, and have fun with the car, not gonna make a real big difference which one; you're not building a Pro Stock engine, so don't over think what you're doing.

Good luck and have fun.

I'm a firm believer in using what is on hand; selling the 2 and buying one is a possibility, only one of them is a sure sale at the moment, may be a while before anyone wants the Edelbrock, in the mean time, times a waistin', you're wanting to drive your car only you can't cuz no one has bought the other intake and you don't have any spare cash to buy the new one yet..........

Just bolt one of them down, and have fun with the car, not gonna make a real big difference which one; you're not building a Pro Stock engine, so don't over think what you're doing.

Good luck and have fun.

Solid advice and appreciated. I do love that O'l girl......the Duster that is. Haha

In answering I'm assuming the Accelerator is for a 340 / 360. In either case you are going to have a miss match at the intake runner and head which will mess up the flow significantly. 340/360 heads and matching intakes have much larger runners than 318 heads/intakes. When the airflow in the intake runner hits the restriction of the smaller port of the 318 head you will induce quite a bit of turbulance. Envision a fire hose hooked up to a garden hose. Getting an Airgap, unless it's sized for a 318, will do nothing to improve the situation. If you want to stick with the 318 heads then open up the intake ports to 340/360 dimensions using an intake gasket as a guide. Or sell both your intakes and use those funds to buy a 318 intake suitable for your combination. Don't think there is a spits bit of difference if your going to run either of the two you have on hand

IIRC the Excellerator ports are closer to small ports. It ran real good on my 367. a streeter at 11.3Scr and a 292/292/108 cam.
That engine will burn up the tires anyway, so if she's a little shy at 6500, so what.Or if a little soft under 2000,so what.Hah, that's not gonna happen with a 2500 and 3.91s and 10/1.
I say bolt it on and go have fun, at least until July.
Next summer you will be back with Jheads, maybe more cam and then you will need more intake.
The summer after that, you will be sliding a 360 under the J heads, and the summer after that you will showing up with ported heads.
And after that will come a bigger cam again., and now the 2500Tc is scheduled for replacement.
Soon 8 years will have rolled by and that 367 doesn't seem as fast as it once was.
BB-time!

Last edited:
-
Back