Let's be honest....

-
Thanks for the heads up...I am still trying to locate a running 5.7 hemi in nj area

I saw some had posted a kit to use the ps column. Let me know when they go for sale

Intake $350-400
Hemi 6 $430
Srt8 jeep headers. $??
Motor mounts $133
Oil pan pick up and gasket $300
Oil filter remote $70
mini starter $180
Flexplate $90
wiring harness $185
Steering coulumn adapter $125
manual steering box
kickdown cable
throttle cable bracket
If the early coils are used you need a set of shorty spark plug wires.

Still thinking.....

070708_17322.jpg

found this one for ya...

:love7::love7::love7: there ain't no replacement for hemi displacement8)

old or new school hemi's for that matter

Oil pan and pickup is on that list twice just a heads up... Thanks this will be a great sticky if we get all the parts needed and with prices

i have to agree with abodyjoe if you are going with the 5.7 or 6.1 leave it fuel injected.Just my opinion though.

You know its just a thought, but I saw an article in a magazine once that showed an installation of an old style ram air, air breather set up being put on a new challenger. It looked like the ones used from the factory on the 70's challenger. My question is why not have the best of both worlds and keep the fuel injection but make it look retro at the same time ? I've seen other fuel injection set ups for the new style hemi that incorporate a throttle body on the top of the intake that will accept an old style air breather.

while we are being honest.....:) i never understood why people do the modern hemi swap only to put a carb on it. defeats the purpose in my opinion. a regular small block will run as good as a carbed hemi and be less in the long run. if your doing the swap you may as well get the advantages of the fuel injection and all with it.

if i was gonna do a basically stock modern hemi i would grab a truck motor, change the pan so it would fit in the car and go with the street performance wire harness and be done with it. from what i remember the street performance harness was cheaper then the carb conversion. yes you have to build a fuel system but the injection would be so worth it.

I don't get it either, but hey, that's what makes the world go round.

You know its just a thought, but I saw an article in a magazine once that showed an installation of an old style ram air, air breather set up being put on a new challenger. It looked like the ones used from the factory on the 70's challenger. My question is why not have the best of both worlds and keep the fuel injection but make it look retro at the same time ? I've seen other fuel injection set ups for the new style hemi that incorporate a throttle body on the top of the intake that will accept an old style air breather.

Yep, one of these: http://www.retrotekspeed.com/products/powerjection-iii/

My question is would it be compatible?

That would most definitly do it. That looks bad a**! Do you know anyone currently using one of these setups? How well does it perform?

It should be compatible if your replacing a carb with it. I just don't know if you could use it with any factory fuel injection equipment.

No, I don't know anyone that is using one. My question would be if it is compatible with the MSD Hemi 6 to fire the coils?

I did read an article in one of the mags about it. They spoke well of it.

If your 5.7 or 6.1 hemi is set up for a carb (including the MSD Hemi 6), Than I don't see any reason why it wouldn't work. It will just have two seperate electrical systems. 1 for the coils and 1 for the fuel injection.

If your 5.7 or 6.1 hemi is set up for a carb (including the MSD Hemi 6), Than I don't see any reason why it wouldn't work. It will just have two seperate electrical systems. 1 for the coils and 1 for the fuel injection.
> Reportedly made in china, what isn't ? Marketed by Professional Products,LA., CA. Being used over on the V8 Buick forum, and liked. I will roll the dice on GM. tbi's. Good Luck, ateam.

I wish there was more selection for carburettor intake manifolds for the newer gen of hemi, it seems the options are dual quad or a single plane. I would run a carb, cuz in this day and age it seems carburetors are one of the thing that separates vintage muscle from modern cars.

I saw some had posted a kit to use the ps column. Let me know when they go for sale

I know this is old, but the PS adapter did not work for me with TTI headers. The adapter moves the big factory joint at the end of the shaft up and it won't turn without hitting a header tube. I had to get a manual shaft to get the joint to clear. So if you want a stock steering shaft and headers you have to run a manual.

OK Guys...carb or fuel injection is a preference of the builer/owner! The reason most people are interested in this swap is that this engine is lighter and most importantly more efficient than a small block or big block. The heads flow really well stock, 4 bolt mains that are cross bolted, stock block that will hold some pretty high horsepower! Yeah you can build a big or small block motor and get the same horsepower but can you get the mileage (efficincy ) the gen 3 hemi produces. locally I know of 2 cars that run close to the same ET (12:40s ) 1 is a 360 and gets 11 mpg and the 5.7 hemi gets low 20's! almost double the miles per gallon. I have a stout old school 440 in my 73 dart sport but I am building an all forged internals 5.7 with a turbo and 545 truck trans to put in one of my wrecks. The thought of putting a 700 to 800 horse ( estimated ) motor in a mopar muscle car with 6 forward gears is kinda having the best of all worlds! Go to the strip and rip off a couple good time slips. Be able to hold your own on the highway with a newer vette. Or drive across a couple of state to an event while getting good gas mileage and not have to wear ear plugs or go see the dentist because your fillings rattled loose. These new motors are just designed to produce power efficiently and that is why mopar, ford and chebby guys are all building these new motors. I appreciate all the technical do and don'ts everybody posts on these builds! To somebody just starting down this road it is very helpful. All the cars I have seen you guys showing on here are damn cool...no matter if its injected carbed or blown. keep the information coming!

I was with ABODYJOE till i saw pictures of your car HEMIJOEJR
I must say WAY COOL, different, what hot rodding is all about, and it RUNS!!
From what i have read with the carb version it is easy to upgrade roller cam
ect...

I am building a 68 and now you have me thinking again,
Back to EBAY to check prices on a 5.7 Hemi...LOL

Make as much as you can yourself. Like engine mounts for one thing. Adapter mounts that use the factory k member perches end up shooting you in the foot for using car front covers that not only look better but keep a lower cog. I plan to get the oil pan and headers I'm going to use and then fit the car around that. Nothing pisses me off more than buying a bunch of "adapters" and then doing a ton of fabricating anyway. Did a bunch of that during the BB swap days. So I'm just going to fab it all out of the gate.

Make as much as you can yourself. Like engine mounts for one thing. Adapter mounts that use the factory k member perches end up shooting you in the foot for using car front covers that not only look better but keep a lower cog. I plan to get the oil pan and headers I'm going to use and then fit the car around that. Nothing pisses me off more than buying a bunch of "adapters" and then doing a ton of fabricating anyway. Did a bunch of that during the BB swap days. So I'm just going to fab it all out of the gate.

I think a post every 9 month's is plenty!

I agree with Abody Joe. Either go all new under the hood (without the carb) if it is the new Hemi you want. Basically that's what the motor was designed for. I think before long you would have frequent "ghost" issues with trying to get the fuel/motor system happy especially when a computer is involved. I also agree about being happier with a carb/small block set up correctly. Alot easier to work on and less $$$$.

Hey I was just being honest, I really don't know much though. Now THAT was honest.....

-
Back