Lets hear your suggestions for a winch for a car trailer.

-
I have had a warn M8000 on my trailer for about 17 years now, and it still works great.
I have mine mounted to a harbor freight winch plate, and a marine battery is mounted beside it, with a solar trickle charger to keep the battery topped off.

I would not even consider using a cheap winch.

I don’t know about 17 years ago, but Warn is not being made in the US anymore. According to Summit, their 10k winch is being made in China

IMG_6541.png

You can also read between the lines on the Warn industries webpage-

“For over 70 years, the small army of engineers, technicians, and machinists who design, engineer, and test our products are the very same people who use them, right here in the rugged Pacific Northwest.”

Notice it doesn’t say “build” or “manufacture” their products in that bit. That’s not an accident, it’s because they outsource their manufacturing now. They say they’ll “ship from our factory in Oregon”, but you don’t see “made in the USA” on their website. Because they aren’t.

Harbor Freight is a US headquartered company too, at least they’re not trying to fool you into thinking you’re buying US made products at US made prices.

I have one mounted in the tool box on the front of my trailer. Battery and all. Remote control, not wireless. Sometimes pulling at deck level can create issues like exhaust hanging up etc. I use a heavy wall 40 gallon drum as a roll to raise the unit for clearance there. But.....I have a fifth wheel hitch in my truck. I have seen it somewhere else. Mount a winch on a hitch assembly and the pull is upward easing the issues. I'm probably going to build one. I don't think I will require as much pull either with it relieving the hang ups. A lesser winch will likely pull with greater efficiency up there.

1713587003757.png

Last edited:
I don’t know about 17 years ago, but Warn is not being made in the US anymore. According to Summit, their 10k winch is being made in China

View attachment 1716239034

You can also read between the lines on the Warn industries webpage-

“For over 70 years, the small army of engineers, technicians, and machinists who design, engineer, and test our products are the very same people who use them, right here in the rugged Pacific Northwest.”

Notice it doesn’t say “build” or “manufacture” their products in that bit. That’s not an accident, it’s because they outsource their manufacturing now. They say they’ll “ship from our factory in Oregon”, but you don’t see “made in the USA” on their website. Because they aren’t.

Harbor Freight is a US headquartered company too, at least they’re not trying to fool you into thinking you’re buying US made products at US made prices.
The EVO series have never been made in the US.
The M series always has.

I have one mounted in the tool box on the front of my trailer. Battery and all. Remote control, not wireless. Sometimes pulling at deck level can create issues like exhaust hanging up etc. I use a heavy wall 40 gallon drum as a roll to raise the unit for clearance there. But.....I have a fifth wheel hitch in my truck. I have seen it somewhere else. Mount a winch on a hitch assembly and the pull is upward easing the issues. I'm probably going to build one. I don't think I will require as much pull either with it relieving the hang ups. A lesser winch will likely pull with greater efficiency up there.

View attachment 1716239042
That is a really good idea.

Winches are like floor jacks and jack stands, do yourself a favor and size up a notch or two. Larger capacity is much better. Don't cheap out.
And shops. Build twice as big as you initially think. Same with a winch. lol

The EVO series have never been made in the US.
The M series always has.

The M series can no longer claim that it is “made in the USA”. They no longer meet the standard for that, which is why it’s not in the advertising anymore.

It is assembled in the US, but some of the parts are now globally manufactured.

Are Warn Winches Made in the USA?

And yeah, the VR EVO series is manufactured completely in China.

Warn Industries is now owned by LKQ

Tulsa Winches and Ramsey winches are about as American as your going to get.
I know people working for both of them in Tulsa Oklahoma.

-
Back