lightening a Duster

-

burrpenick

'69 Barracuda
Reaction score
I'm wondering what changes would provide the best weight loss w/$ being a consideration:

0 ditch the spare and jack!

1 Lighter wheels may be one of the easiest- does anyone have an idea of how many pounds a set of say Centerline All drags would save vs stock Rallys?

1.5 ditch the seats and use something lighter in front and kind of carpet the rear. savings???Those stockers are heavy!

2 glass hood?- probably ditch the hinges too, although I've seen some w/no springs that may be OK, but the hood has to be stronger too- so again what does history say here about weight savings w/different hoods/hinges?

3 glass bumpers- and lighter brackets too????

4 alum intakes are a must have- how many lbs are saved on average?

5 Alum heads are nice, but pricey- again, how much savings?

In the absence of knowing what your goals are:
1. Lose the carpet and padding.
2. Aluminum Drive shaft.
3. Tubular control arms.
4. Lose unnecessary trim to include grills.
5. Lose console if present.
6. Lose heater and AC systems; box and all.
7. Switch to manual steering. Steering box is a lot lighter and there will be no power steering pump.

remove the brake system...all that does is ad weight and slow you down
:poke:

and maybe replace the big honking V8 with a turbocharger fourbanger

I'm wondering what changes would provide the best weight loss w/$ being a consideration:

0 ditch the spare and jack!

1 Lighter wheels may be one of the easiest- does anyone have an idea of how many pounds a set of say Centerline All drags would save vs stock Rallys?

1.5 ditch the seats and use something lighter in front and kind of carpet the rear. savings???Those stockers are heavy!

2 glass hood?- probably ditch the hinges too, although I've seen some w/no springs that may be OK, but the hood has to be stronger too- so again what does history say here about weight savings w/different hoods/hinges?

3 glass bumpers- and lighter brackets too????

4 alum intakes are a must have- how many lbs are saved on average?

5 Alum heads are nice, but pricey- again, how much savings?
buy a treadmill, and run on it every night for an hour...
That will lighten up your ride a bit :)

At a purported 1/10 of a second per hundred pounds there's a lot of easier and less expensive avenues to gain that 3/10ths of a second. That's just my opinion of course.

For any given type of driving, losing weight is typically beneficial on multiple levels.

Don't forget redistributing the weight you do require.

Bumper brackets, diff housing or scaling back the axle, rear discs over monster drums, early model doors.

All depends on what you're doing with the car. Tossing the glass will net you a big gain fast, but.....

-
Back