Lights out 9 in South Georgia?

-

doogievlg

Reaction score
Is anyone going to the first big race of the year? I am about to book my hotel but it is looking like I will be traveling solo.

For those of us who don't live in Ohio what's that?

The race is in southern Georgia. It’s a big time radial race with a lot of door cars running in the 3 second range. Probably the biggest heads up race of the year.

Looks like they are bent on wrecking their cars.... crash after crash. Looks like a cool event, though. but why do they quit half way through the race?? :poke:

Looks like they are bent on wrecking their cars.... crash after crash. Looks like a cool event, though. but why do they quit half way through the race?? :poke:

I’m not a huge fan of 1/8 mike racing but imagine the wrecks if they were running 1/4 mile. A lot of the small tracks they have these races at were never built for fast cars. The shut down area is great for 9+ second cars but these guys would not have the room to slow down if something happened. These guys run their cars at their absolute limit which is why you see so many accidents.

Very true. The 1/8 is so short that getting to the maximum limit of the car is extremely hard vs. the 1/4.

If am very used to a 1/4 mile run. Track or back street. Reducing the real estate to half requires a different set up.
Everything happens a lot quicker with less time to react.

I will watch it live on the Internet. Duck puts on a good show. 7 and 8 were great and the T-shirts are a nice addition to my wardrobe. Outlaw racing is becoming a big deal, it's badass.

Yup, i could watch that all day....
Thanks for sharing.

Yup, i could watch that all day....
Thanks for sharing.

A couple of years ago I watched the race on line when Big Chief and Murder Nova was there and Murder Nova did a wheelie all the way across the finish line and still won the race. He ran a 4.43 in the 1/8.

A couple of years ago I watched the race on line when Big Chief and Murder Nova was there and Murder Nova did a wheelie all the way across the finish line and still won the race. He ran a 4.43 in the 1/8.
lights out 7

Watch the racing from Saturday night and look at the stands. Drag racing is not dying.

That style of racing is alive and well. Just turn on the Discovery channel at almost any given time.
It’s the NHRA that’s dying. People want to see cars that actually look like the cars we have in our garages. And helps that those crazy bastards put 1500hp on a 29x10.50 tire and ride the wheelie bars 300’+.
Makes for an exciting show.

IMO, the reason these tracks (Englishtown) are closing down is because they don't embrace this style of racing.
They need to change with the times and some are not willing to.

IMO, the reason these tracks (Englishtown) are closing down is because they don't embrace this style of racing.
They need to change with the times and some are not willing to.

Unless my local track does more heads up, no prep stuff this will probably be it's last year.

I watched it off and on all weekend, there are guys are running 5.20's on a 26 X 5 tire, insane! Guys on here are complaining about not being able to hook up 450 hp on a 275. lol

SGMP is both 1/8 and 1/4 mile track.

VERY nice facility.

-
Back