Magnum swapping the 72 Scamp!

-
If you have a long rounded rod you can lay it in the pulley groove and see if it lines up with the next one or needs adjusting.

If you have a long rounded rod you can lay it in the pulley groove and see if it lines up with the next one or needs adjusting.

In your opinion how close do I need to get? My plan was to measure from the front of crank pulley face to each groove, then put a flat bar across and measure from the flat bar ( representing the crank pulley face) to the accessory grooves and hope they are close.

The rounded rod should be a little wider than the base of the groove, that way the groove will show you what the belt "sees". Pulleys can have different thickness walls, and any difference will set up a harmonic vibration at various RPMs. I've used washers to shim the alt to the right spot then cut a section of tube to replace the washers and put it in the right place. Hope this helps.

One thing that has really bugged me being tall is how close and high the bench seat sits to the wheel, not to mention sliding off of it around turns with the stiffened up suspension. So in the nature of craigslist spirit I scored some E46 BMW sport leather seats for a couple hundred bucks or so at some point and put them in. The look is probably not for everyone but damn if it doesn't make driving it SO much nicer. (don't have a photo of it done but they are both in there now)

View attachment 1715071638

Do you have any more information on fitting/bolting those BMW seats into the car and the OEM Bolt holes, etc??? I have a set of SRT seats waiting to be bolted in (soon as I get some time) but I am trying to do as much research and prepare for the unforeseen.

Thanks

I LOVE THAT STANCE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks! I would like to get the back a little higher and front a little lower personally but, its a good start. haha

Do you have any more information on fitting/bolting those BMW seats into the car and the OEM Bolt holes, etc??? I have a set of SRT seats waiting to be bolted in (soon as I get some time) but I am trying to do as much research and prepare for the unforeseen.

Thanks

Yeah I can tell you how I did it, it wasn't too hard actually. For me I made it a little more difficult on myself because the e46 seats have super wide track width. Next time your in a 3 series from early 2000s take a look, they sit basically on the floor so the tracks are outside the seat. So whatever seats you chose pay attention to that because the A body (mine anyway) has a large bump in the floor on the outsides where the bench mounts to. I think a narrower seat track width would be able to fit inboard of this bump and still be centered on the steering wheel.

So I used the factory bench bolt holes on the outside near the doors because the floor is reinforced there, by drilling a new hole at the rear of the seat track on the Bmw seat. So no modifications to the floor there, then I lined up the inside holes where I wanted them and drilled the hole there. Ideally I would weld in some reinforcement plates for the mounts near the trans tunnel but I used some large fender washers because I didn't pull the carpet to do it (no way to weld with carpet in). Unfortunately because of the bump in the floor at the outside front mount that I mentioned the track on the front inside corners wanted to be a couple inches in the air. Currently just have some washers stacked up but eventually will make some better mounts. The bump also makes the seat tilt a bit backward on the bottom but I used power seats with some adjustability so it gets rid of most of that.

For the power I just bought one of those painless wiring kits with a couple relays and hooked it up to 12v ignition so there is no chance of a battery drain with the key out somehow, then used the other relay for my gauges. So the power works which is nice.

I kept the scamp seatbelts and mounting points but eventually going to get some newer retractable 3 points.

If I had one regret it would have been to get BMW coupe seats that would allow people to get in the back easier. The ones I have are from a 4 door so to get someone in the back I have to power them all the way forward. If I were to spring for more money on them (maybe some day) I would consider some of the aftermarket seat options that are pretty nice and maybe more era appropriate looking (like the scat ones?)

I got down and dirty last weekend and got all the accessories dialed in. Took some creative washer usage to get everything perfect though. Made me doubt if they were actually that lined up previously on the old motor (doubt it). But all belts are perfectly in line now! (this was before I got everything done so it changed a bit but I checked them all)

IMG_3120.JPG

I had some buddies over and we finished up all the other details, fuel lines, fuel filter, Radiator / fan / shroud in, new trans mount, rigged up a temporary exhaust situation, got the new throttle cable in partially, got the carb on etc.

Did some oil priming for a bit, and realized that mounting plate under the filter wasn't tight enough so got some dripping from there before tightening it down. Got a nice 70-75 ish psi oil pressure with 30wt Lucas break in oil which was reassuring.

Got the distributor lined up as close as I could to 15 btdc and was ready to fire it up. Unfortunately the line coming out of the fuel pump didn't want to cooperate and was spewing some fuel. I ended up using some thread sealer paste on there and was able to fire her up!

Just did about 5 minutes run time because of a couple leaks from (guess what) trans lines, and I must have missed a final tightening on the fan / PS belt because the fan wasn't spinning. so I just let it get up to about 190 degrees water temp @ 2200-2800ish rpm and shut it down. It sounds good though! will get a video up once I can. I also think I need to put a little more torque on the oil filter plate because I saw a little oil coming from that area as well.

IMG_3132.JPG

IMG_3192.JPG

Thanks!
Yeah I can tell you how I did it, it wasn't too hard actually. For me I made it a little more difficult on myself because the e46 seats have super wide track width. Next time your in a 3 series from early 2000s take a look, they sit basically on the floor so the tracks are outside the seat. So whatever seats you chose pay attention to that because the A body (mine anyway) has a large bump in the floor on the outsides where the bench mounts to. I think a narrower seat track width would be able to fit inboard of this bump and still be centered on the steering wheel.

So I used the factory bench bolt holes on the outside near the doors because the floor is reinforced there, by drilling a new hole at the rear of the seat track on the Bmw seat. So no modifications to the floor there, then I lined up the inside holes where I wanted them and drilled the hole there. Ideally I would weld in some reinforcement plates for the mounts near the trans tunnel but I used some large fender washers because I didn't pull the carpet to do it (no way to weld with carpet in). Unfortunately because of the bump in the floor at the outside front mount that I mentioned the track on the front inside corners wanted to be a couple inches in the air. Currently just have some washers stacked up but eventually will make some better mounts. The bump also makes the seat tilt a bit backward on the bottom but I used power seats with some adjustability so it gets rid of most of that.

Thanks for the information. That makes sense and it’s very detailed. (Exactly what I needed). Haven’t had time to get in there and do some taking apart and measuring/installing. Was just trying to do as much research on it as possible. For what it’s worth I really like the seats in there. I got some non-powered SRT seats that I will eventually install myself.

Thanks Again! And keep up the good work and posting!

Thanks for the information. That makes sense and it’s very detailed. (Exactly what I needed). Haven’t had time to get in there and do some taking apart and measuring/installing. Was just trying to do as much research on it as possible. For what it’s worth I really like the seats in there. I got some non-powered SRT seats that I will eventually install myself.

Thanks Again! And keep up the good work and posting!

No prob, I know when I was researching a lot of that info wasn't readily available so I hope it helps.

As for the build, I took a look yesterday at my oil leaks and I know for sure the passenger side valve cover has a couple drips going on.

I think the oil filter plate may still be leaking. After reading up, I believe the canton racing billet plate for the magnums is no longer available, so I ordered a new $7 oil filter plate from the local dealer and a mopar gasket coming from another local dealer. (assuming my plate got a little tweaked somewhere along the build)

My guess is that the plate is leaking because it was not tight enough when I primed the engine, and once the oil created a path past the gasket it kept the door open even after torquing. It only looks like a couple drips but its enough to create a mess on the bottom of the passenger header (and decent smoke show).

For valve covers I am tempted to just order up some mopar performance magnum ones to get the extra seal of the 10 bolts and just be done with it. Wallet currently says no, so going to have to figure out something in the mean time.

Anyway, heres a short video of an idle after changing the break in oil out. Feels good to hear it idle finally! Cant wait to finish everything up for a drive.

:steering:

Update... I think i solved all the leaks!

So far so good anyway. I got a new oil filter plate and after looking at the old one the outer rim looked a little pitted so maybe that was the problem along with not being tightened enough initially. Cleaned the block surface real well, new gasket and let it sit for a day before starting, seems to have worked.

I got fed up with the LA valve cover leaks, and since the paint took some hits in the install process, for the time being I swapped back the donor car magnum valve covers. Eventually i will get some mopar performance magnum aluminum ones, but later down the road. These ones are pretty ugly in my opinion, but function over fashion at this point. The local Oreilly also had $20 fel pro VC gaskets in stock which was nice.

Also got the throttle and kick down cables hooked up. I used some $25ish eBay specials and a lokar bracket. The kick down still needs adjusting.

Before valve cover swap:

IMG_3452.JPG