Manual Thermostat sender for Gauge

-

Hendy'sCuda

Reaction score
I went to a show last year and seen a older man with his /6 head tapped for a manual Thermostat gauge sending unit. This was separate from the one wire stock setup. I was wondering if anyone else has done the same thing, and if so whats the best way to go about this. Pictures or previous forum links would be greatly appreciated!!

You can purchase a mechanical gauge with several different thread adaptors1/4,3/8,1/2 tpi.Buy the copper line kit -Bosch7584 to replace the nylon line that comes with the gauge . No tapping or machining involved -drop in replacement

You can purchase a mechanical gauge with several different thread adaptors1/4,3/8,1/2 tpi.Buy the copper line kit -Bosch7584 to replace the nylon line that comes with the gauge . No tapping or machining involved -drop in replacement
he is asking about temp gauge, not oil gauge

So am I. I have a mechanical temp gauge , I replaced the sender on the head & run the copper line because I don't trust the nylon where it goes thru the firewall. I use a BOSCH Gauge & a copper tubing kit seems to work well for me. Just my 2 cents .

What are you trying to accomplish?
If you are a streeter;after the novelty period is over, you will rarely ever look at that gauge again. Until smoke is pouring out from under your hood, and by that time it won't be telling you anything you don't already know.
Maintain the system, and it will take care of itself.
If you are a racer, I suppose the gauge could be of some use.

In 125,000 miles I think I mightof looked at my factory gauges a few times, but almost never. I just drive it; whatever will happen,will happen.By the time I will see it on a gauge, it's too late........

Last edited:
What are you trying to accomplish?
If you are a streeter;after the novelty period is over, you will rarely ever look at that gauge again. Until smoke is pouring out from under your hood, and by that time it won't be telling you anything you don't already know.
Maintain the system, and it will take care of itself.
If you are a racer, I suppose the gauge could be of some use.

In 125,000 miles I think I mightof looked at my gauges a few times, but almost never. I just drive it; whatever will happen,will happen.By the time I will see it on a gauge, it's too late........
So am I. I have a mechanical temp gauge , I replaced the sender on the head & run the copper line because I don't trust the nylon where it goes thru the firewall. I use a BOSCH Gauge & a copper tubing kit seems to work well for me. Just my 2 cents .
I have never seen a mech temp gauge with a hose sent to it. mech gaugeses have a capaliry tube with shielding wire prorecting that tube. how can you send hot water to a dead head, with no flow and get an accurate reading?

My mistake. Mopar Al you are correct. My oil gauge has the copper line & my temp gauge has the capillary line. Getting old memory not what it used to be.

-
Back