Many New Cars Have No Spare Tires

-
You can defend those useless spares and the tire inflator kit all you want, and using that sealer also ruins your tire so you'll have to buy a new one after you use that s--t. My 2010 SRT had that inflator kit and I had to order a spare & jack so I would never get caught stranded. It's just insurance in case of a flat.

The chances of the TPMS sender surviving sealant are just about nil too. Oops, there goes another 50- 75 bucks.

TPMS is just another government intervention to try to cure STUPID

IF you are retrofitting a new alloy or such to an older vehicle and the shop doing the work (given you don not do your own tires) asks the wheel application..do not say it is a 2006/2007 (optional) standard on 2008 and newer as they are prevented from mounting tires on these newer rims without the TPS installed...can prevent a lot of headaches just saying it is old school pre turn of century vehicle.

Last edited:
40 years ago when I bought my '77 Ford F250 brand new it came with a spare wheel as standard equipment but the tire was an extra cost option.
The spare tire on my '95 Dodge Ram was only out from under the truck once - in 2013 when the lift/retainer cable broke and it fell out on the freeway. I had an anti-theft security cable on it attached to the truck so, without knowing it had fallen, I ended up dragging it a few miles until someone drove up alongside and motioned for me to roll my window down so they could tell me. The tread on the tire was still perfect but there was a 3"-wide hole worn through the sidewall from dragging it down the freeway.
The spare on my '09 Ram has been used. I ran over something on a country road here in SoCal and got a flat.

Watch out, once they get that extra 45lbs from the spare out to get better MPG they will be looking for more weight savings. The next MPG savings is going to come down to the driver, your BMI better be on point or you will be fined....

Watch out, once they get that extra 45lbs from the spare out to get better MPG they will be looking for more weight savings. The next MPG savings is going to come down to the driver, your BMI better be on point or you will be fined....

I can see it now...do you want fries with that and oh, by the way there is a surcharge of 7% for the fat content in our burgers to offset government payment of benefits...

I don’t have a spare in my Duster and probably won’t have once it’s done either. For one, I’ll be putting in a flat trunk floor, and for 2, I’ll have 2 different sized tires on the car, which size spare would I decide to carry

I don’t have a spare in my Duster and probably won’t have once it’s done either. For one, I’ll be putting in a flat trunk floor, and for 2, I’ll have 2 different sized tires on the car, which size spare would I decide to carry
and no room between the rear cage struts.

TPMS is just another government intervention to try to cure STUPID

IF you are retrofitting a new alloy or such to an older vehicle and the shop doing the work (given you don not do your own tires) asks the wheel application..do not say it is a 2006/2007 (optional) standard on 2008 and newer as they are prevented from mounting tires on these newer rims without the TPS installed...can prevent a lot of headaches just saying it is old school pre turn of century vehicle.
There are other reasons, like a TPMS warning or failure will disable a vehicles stability program & take away Your ability to engage/disengage the traction control, many of
these newer systems work in tandem TPMS pressures/wheel speeds/ yaw sensor data to function safely & correctly.

I'll give you the interaction but the reason behind it was the increase in accidents related to low tire pressure and thus mandated by the government to create an interactive system to monitor and alert the driver and change parameters for safety...time to go back to horse and buggy

I'll give you the interaction but the reason behind it was the increase in accidents related to low tire pressure and thus mandated by the government to create an interactive system to monitor and alert the driver and change parameters for safety...time to go back to horse and buggy
Right, cause We all know that new rules and expensive equipment mandates fix stupid, not.
The same assclowns that didn't check the air in their tires before driving their SUVs 85mph and cutting in & out of traffic, are the same ones rolling into the dealership
with the TPMS warning lamp on, and don't say a word about checking the air in the tires. "Sir, do You know the tire pressure warning lamps on?", "Oh yeah, that's been on
for about a week and a half, forgot to mention it". The same guy will go by You later, after declining the new tires & alignment with 2's & 3's all the way around, in the
pouring rain at about 80mph. VIVA Le Big Brother !!!!!

My answer to the missing spare tires--the "continental kit"--NOT a new idea:

The Continental Kit – “That Tire On The Back:” By Rick Feibusch - forgottenfiberglass.com

continental.jpg

Last edited:
My 2016 Mustang GT with the performance package doesn't have a spare option. Fords Mustang spare is an 18" rim and it won't clear the 15" rotors and 6 piston Brembos. I pickup a nail on the inside sidewall on the freeway and tried using the mobility kit. After about 10 minutes of trying to inflate it, I had 19lbs of air. Jumped in and got me off the freeway. By then, it was back down to 3lbs. Aired up again and drove about 2 miles, and aired up again. Got to Les Schwab and was informed that I had a puncture on the sidewall and that they couldn't let me leave for liability reasons, and refused to give my car back. They would sale me a new tire though, for almost $400 After threatening to call the police for theft, they let me have my keys. Aired to 50lbs and made it to work. I used my own truck and trailer to get me home. Ordered new tires from Tirerack.com. And the tires that I got the flat with? Only 2 months old, but Big O has no road hazard warranty on tires that are not THEIR brand.

A buddy of mine had bought a 2016 Mustang GT new and realized it had no spare, went on line and purchased the factory spare tire kit. I believe it was about $200. Tire mounted on rim, jack and hold down hardware.

That works for the regular GT, as it has 13.9 inch rotors and comes with either 17" or 18" rims. The Performance Pack has 15" rotors and 6 piston calipers and comes with 19" rims to clear and not all 19" rims clear either. You can kind of see in this pic

2016 GT.jpg

I just returned home after dropping a gentleman from out of state off at the Best Western. The wife and I were returning home when we came upon this guy alongside the road. We stopped to see if he needed help and sure enough he did. His 2015 Honda Accord had a right front tire problem. He said a few others had stopped and offered help but he declined as he plannned to use the sealant/inflator kit provided in place of the spare. After exhausting the inflator in the snow and wind he discovered that the kit was useless because the hole was too large. When he tried to call a tire shop he found out he had the misfortune of stopping in one of Wyomings areas of no cell service. So we loaded him up and went down the road to where he could get a cell signal. It was 6:12 PM when he got a signal. He called his insurance company because they provide towing with his policy. After talking to the dispatcher for about 20 minutes with her not being able to first, figure out where in the world he was and second, find a prequalified towing service in the area he hung up with her and called a local towing service on his own. We continued into town and met the tow truck driver on the road to give him the car keys. The guy was not too surprised, but very disappointed to find out that there was no place to buy a 215/55R17 (or any size for that matter) after 5:30. He was supposed to be in Billings this evening for a motel reservation and with a customer tomorrow at 9:00 AM for a bid presentation. So he had us drop him off at the motel and he'll call in the morning to find a tire and try to beg his customer to let him reschedule his presentation. He told us many times that a car without a spare is the stupidest idea anybody could come up with!

I just returned home after dropping a gentleman from out of state off at the Best Western. The wife and I were returning home when we came upon this guy alongside the road. We stopped to see if he needed help and sure enough he did. His 2015 Honda Accord had a right front tire problem. He said a few others had stopped and offered help but he declined as he plannned to use the sealant/inflator kit provided in place of the spare. After exhausting the inflator in the snow and wind he discovered that the kit was useless because the hole was too large. When he tried to call a tire shop he found out he had the misfortune of stopping in one of Wyomings areas of no cell service. So we loaded him up and went down the road to where he could get a cell signal. It was 6:12 PM when he got a signal. He called his insurance company because they provide towing with his policy. After talking to the dispatcher for about 20 minutes with her not being able to first, figure out where in the world he was and second, find a prequalified towing service in the area he hung up with her and called a local towing service on his own. We continued into town and met the tow truck driver on the road to give him the car keys. The guy was not too surprised, but very disappointed to find out that there was no place to buy a 215/55R17 (or any size for that matter) after 5:30. He was supposed to be in Billings this evening for a motel reservation and with a customer tomorrow at 9:00 AM for a bid presentation. So he had us drop him off at the motel and he'll call in the morning to find a tire and try to beg his customer to let him reschedule his presentation. He told us many times that a car without a spare is the stupidest idea anybody could come up with!
Precisely, and for the mpg of even an appropriate "compact" spare He & His's lives would have been interrupted maybe 20min. tops, instead of risking Their lives possibly &
having an impact on His livelihood/career.

I get why a spare would not be included if there is no room, or if the wheels are staggered. It seems ridiculous to me to not have a spare if you can. As far as risking your life changing a tire goes, that's entirely up to the individual to make the call if its safe. some situations are just way too dangerous, and you as an individual have to asses the risk. Just because you have a tire in your trunk doesn't obligate you to perform a risky tire swap on a busy 4 lane highway with no shoulder. However, there are many more instances when an individual can safely change a flat and be on their way. I have used my spare on every single car and truck I've owned, and I only had the majority of those vehicles for 2 years or less, also 5 out of 12 of those vehicles were brand new, so it wasn't like I had worn out old rubber. I have bad luck with tires. It irritates me to think that I may have to pay extra to get a spare for my next new vehicle.

TPMS is no different than a check engine light. How many 10 year or older vehicles are driving around everyday and the owner has no money to have it fixed so they continue to drive it with the light on.

Well AJ has opinions on just about everything, so why should this be any different.
CAFE
A 69 Dart with a friggen catburetor,could get MPGs in the high 20s with a 273A/T, and the 2.73s it came with.That's 4.47 liters,of 9/1advertised compression 2valves,and all iron,for comparison. It had plenty of pick-up and could tow a camper trailer for weeks atta time. It had real bumpers and a spare tire,too.
It was not bogged down with hundreds of pounds of safety equipment, including ABS and traction control, and an all wheel drive system that only works below 18 mph, and not in top gear. Or door-bars or 18 airbags in a car the that is 95% of the time transporting just the driver.And no On-Star, no Navigation system, No DOHC with cam-phasers or a friggen cam-belt. And just 2 valves per cylinder. The dang engine was about wore out by 120,000 miles, but it was oh-so cheap to freshen up. The 904 was a half-million mile deal, and the rear end would outlast the chassis about 3 times. It had 3 idiot-lights on the dash and only one was important enough to keep an eye on, and once the engine was running, it never came on again.
That 69 Dart tipped the scales at a hair over 3000 pounds fully loaded, and was one of the smallest cars you could buy from the big-3,and it came with a full-size spare.
So, let's see where we are today,48 years later. We have gotten heavier,bulkier,and same or near-same mpg cars, that can't tow much if anything. Cars that get stuck at the mere sight of snow, and then the magic of traction control keeps you stuck. To give you the illusion of power, they fix you up with lots and lots of gears, some of which you can't even select with the shifter. To give you the illusion of fuel economy, they invent a new way of measuring it. To give you the illusion of safety, they give you ABS, cuz they think every driver in the world is an idiot, in which thought they might be close to right, present company excepted..
But the one thing they no longer give you is peace-of mind.
My daughter was not yet 16 and knew how to put the spare on. That's peace of mind ......for her......as well as me.
So, IMO, how far have we really come? In 48 years I would have expected more...........................
When I was 16, 48 years ago, and looking ahead, this was not what I imagined.
As to spare tires, I stopped carrying when I was finally able to not have to keep putting used tires on my cars, for lack of funds. Two days ago, I would have been able to say that on 30 or so years, I had got just one flat. But yesterday my wife arrived home, having driven what she thought was a minute or less on that tire.I love her so much, but that almost new tire was totally destroyed inside. That will be three days wages to replace. And the spare was right there in it's usual spot. Aired up and everything.
So do modern cars need spare tires? Well,IMO, probably not, cuz even if it's there............my wife is not installing it. And at 50 or 60 pounds, it's costing me money just dragging the sucker around.
BTW, my Honda Pilot, makes 24 mpg on the hiway, from point to point at 60mph;and that's Canadian mpgs so 19.2 for you American friends.
My old brick of a 69Dart made the same and more,than that, and without any tuning. A good 273 back in the day would get into the 30s Canadian, so say 24/25 US, and that's with the spare in the trunk. I don't think losing the spare has anything to do with fuel economy. I think they are purposely keeping our cars to an mpg number, so the big oil barrons can continue to collect their billions and billions, on the backs of us, keeping us as slaves to the system. I know, I know, the beat goes on, and on an............

-
Back