Master Cylinder selection?

-

cgray521

Reaction score
Finished the BBP manual disc swap on my 67 Valiant. Now to the rear...Going with a Ford 8.8 with disc. In keeping with manual brakes, what master cylinder did you/anyone you know, use? I plan to use a Wilwood adjustable prop valve and have the 4 to 2 bolt mount adapter for using other brand masters...If needed. Any successful answers would be appreciated.

Going to a manual disc/disc a proportioning valve shouldn't be necessary . I would use a Wilwood m.c. with the 4 bolt to 2 bolt adapter . Talk to them , they know more about brakes than anyone on the planet .

If your going 4 wheel disc just use the drum prop valve. I would get the 15/16 master from DrDiff for a good pedal. The bigger the bore the harder the pedal will be to stop.

I switched from manual drum to manual Wilwood disc using the Mopar aluminum master and the Wilwood proportioning valve..

I like the feel of a 15/16 with a booster
I run no Proportioning valve at all;
KHers up front with 235/60-14s
10 x 2 drums and 295/50-15s out back
does not lock up rears so far as I can tell; stops hard and straight as an arrow..

I switched from manual drum to manual Wilwood disc using the Mopar aluminum master and the Wilwood proportioning valve..
DAYUUM < WE AGREE ON SOMETHING ! 1987 DODGE DIPLOMAT ALUM. MASTERCYL., ON AN OFFSET ADAPT., STOCK MANUAL DIST. BLOCK, ABOUT TWICE THE PEDAL FEEL OF POWER BRAKES, WORKS WELL !

So for one question I get several opinions/answers. So my thinking is use the aluminum Diplomat master, the Wilwood full-adjust prop valve/dist block. Eliminate the factory dist block, re-plumb that section, and should be good. Cheap that way too. I like that and it should stop decent. Wish I had more interesting pics Sedanman, but this is a true 'shoestring' budget car. The drivetrain and underside will be nice but likely will never see body and paint under my ownership. I even tried to sell on a local Mopar site but nobody had enough to even cover the parts I've gathered. After the boss is done with the garage for Christmas and all that, I plan to get back on things and have it running for the Spring. Want to thankyou all and wish you a Merry Christmas.

15/16” on the master cylinder, I run that size on my Duster and my Challenger. Works very well IMO, the pedal effort is decent and the range of travel allows for good brake modulation. DoctorDiff sells the m/c and the adapter.

The distribution block is fine, I’d plumb an adjustable prop valve in there to make sure the front/rear bias is right.

7/8" (or 15/16" at the biggest). No prop valve should be needed with 4 wheel disks. This works well on my '69 Dart.

PC is acting up as usual so hope these pics are ok. Sedanman was looking. Sorry if they don't come out right fellas

IMG_0510.JPG

IMG_1073.JPG

IMG_0895.JPG

727.jpg

440.jpg

tunnel ram.jpg

IMG_1117.JPG

15/16” on the master cylinder, I run that size on my Duster and my Challenger. Works very well IMO, the pedal effort is decent and the range of travel allows for good brake modulation. DoctorDiff sells the m/c and the adapter.

The distribution block is fine, I’d plumb an adjustable prop valve in there to make sure the front/rear bias is right.
Any chance you have a part number?

Yup I just ordered the DrDiff aluminum one and adapter... cant wait till it gets here! (rubbing hands together in excitement and anticipation :) )

7/8" (or 15/16" at the biggest). No proportioning valve should be needed with 4 wheel disks. This works well on my '69 Dart.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^]
----this------USE THE DIST. BLOCK ONLY.

I ran some numbers at work (O'reilly's) and settled on one for the '90 half ton pickup. Seems to have the attributes of the Dr Diff unit and was dirt cheap for me. Here's hoping. And Happy New Year everyone!

Many here like Dr Diff's 15/16"D bore MC w/ adapter plate ($125). You want the smallest bore you can get, for an easier pedal. Nobody can say if you need a proportioning valve since depends on your exact calipers, pads, and tires. You want the fronts to skid just before the rears. With an adjustable prop valve, you can assure that, and they only cost ~$30.

-
Back