MIGHT BREAK THIS

-

71340Duster

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Harbor Freight 3/4 drive with the schedule 40 pipe extension. The ball joint
IMG_1210.JPG
socket is also low budget so this could get interesting. I did read a couple of reviews where guys said this breaker bar held up to some abuse, we'll see. Hopefully I'm not the thing that breaks!

Harbor Freight 3/4 drive with the schedule 40 pipe extension. The ball joint View attachment 1714990129 socket is also low budget so this could get interesting. I did read a couple of reviews where guys said this breaker bar held up to some abuse, we'll see. Hopefully I'm not the thing that breaks!

I have one it's taken quite a bit of abuse and the joint is still perfect.

My 1/2" Craftsman with 6' roll cage bar held up!

Missed the welds on the ball joint covered in dirt. A-Arm broke first! The other side was easy without welds!

Good luck. I had a huge breaker bar when I tried to remove mine. No joy. Luckily I live in the same town that Harbor Freight's main warehouse is located. Bought their 800 ft lb impact wrench to get them off/on.

You'll probably tear the vice off the bench first!

The old and new arms are not installed now, but I think I will mount them before I try to remove the ball joint. I'll put an extra floor lift under the k frame to back up the 4 jack stands under the frame rails, and I'll also chock both sides of the rear wheels.

Good luck. I had a huge breaker bar when I tried to remove mine. No joy. Luckily I live in the same town that Harbor Freight's main warehouse is located. Bought their 800 ft lb impact wrench to get them off/on.

So that was a 3/4 drive impact? I can't see buying one unless there's more things I would need that big of an impact for, my 1/2, so far has done what I've asked of it. But it wouldn't do this. How much did that 800 lber cost?

So that was a 3/4 drive impact? I can't see buying one unless there's more things I would need that big of an impact for, my 1/2, so far has done what I've asked of it. But it wouldn't do this. How much did that 800 lber cost?
Fyi, Lowes sells a Kolbart brand 750.ft lb 1/2in impact for 99 bucks.

My 1/2" Craftsman with 6' roll cage bar held up!

Missed the welds on the ball joint covered in dirt. A-Arm broke first! The other side was easy without welds!

Yeah I'd have to say you had some torque on there to break the A arm!!! I'm hoping for a less exciting event. My buddy is bringing a port a power to help drive the bushings out, that should be more sane than my bench vice.

I paid $130 for it. I got a lot of use out of it already since I was replacing all my front end components at the same time. Home Depot has a 1/2" 800 ft lb for $109 now.

Yeah I'd have to say you had some torque on there to break the A arm!!! I'm hoping for a less exciting event. My buddy is bringing a port a power to help drive the bushings out, that should be more sane than my bench vice.

Yep, just make sure they have not been tacked welded by a previous owner. The collar and welds gave way at the same time. Had owned the car since 1984 and did not expect or see the welds, that were done before my ownership! They are easy if not welded!

Last edited:
a little bit of heat goes a long way - I used a propane torch to heat the A arm, no need to get it crazy hot -- then that handy dandy can of PB... let it cool for a 1/2 min... zing.

a little bit of heat goes a long way - I used a propane torch to heat the A arm, no need to get it crazy hot -- then that handy dandy can of PB... let it cool for a 1/2 min... zing.

^^ Here is the answer ^^

As long as they aren't welded they should come right out. I used my 1/2" breaker bar with a 3/4 to 1/2 adapter and the ball joint socket.

Putting them back on I mounted them on the car and torqued em down. Piece of cake. Just make sure to get them started straight.

^^^^ Yes

I forgot to remove them before sending my body shell off. Went to HD and got 4 large screw eyes and put them in a piece of 4x6 I had laying around. Mounted the A-Arms up like on the car and was able to screw them out, except for the welded one I trashed. Good thing was, I now had a verticle angle that way, instead of horizontal one for better leverage and it is hard to chuck one up in vice without sqeezing and damaging them.

image.jpeg

Last edited:
^^^^ Yes

I forgot to remove them before sending my body shell off. Went to HD and got 4 large screw eyes and put them in a piece of 4x6 I had laying around. Mounted the A-Arms up like on the car and was able to screw them out, except for the welded one I trashed. Good thing was, I now had a verticle angle that way, instead of horizontal one for better leverage and it is hard to chuck one up in vice without sqeezing and damaging them.

View attachment 1714990406

Yeah, I don't think my vice would take it, mounted to plywood and dimensional underneath. I'm gonna bolt it to the car, may try my winch through the back door if it doesn't move with pipe extension, but I think it will, well the "new" one anyway. Not sure about the used part I bought, gonna give all a soak in PB Blast.

Just do the ball joints first before removing the bushings.

why do people buy junk tools , my grand dad and father and uncle all believed in good quality tools had did not risk damaging the themselves or the parts , and there still here today . please don't just though your money at the china crap , you bought a car to keep around for a life time . do you guys buy china crap to replace your cars parts too .

why do people buy junk tools , my grand dad and father and uncle all believed in good quality tools had did not risk damaging the themselves or the parts , and there still here today . please don't just though your money at the china crap , you bought a car to keep around for a life time . do you guys buy china crap to replace your cars parts too .

Not a tool issue, just an approach one. The OP's tools will work fine!

sorry , i just find china crap isn't worth the shipping here . i've used good sized bench vise on the ball joint hex to hold it steady . and used a long bar through the bushing holes on the other end of the controll arm to twist the ball joint lose before .

I've jammed my iron rod in the hole and held the arm still and twisted back and forth until I got it off.... WHAT?!? :lol:

sorry , i just find china crap isn't worth the shipping here . i've used good sized bench vise on the ball joint hex to hold it steady . and used a long bar through the bushing holes on the other end of the controll arm to twist the ball joint lose before .

Good idea if the vise is good! Another sensible approach!

scampmike , did she like your big iron rod as you jammed it in the hole , twisted it too n foo , lol . if so , you must introduce me .

-
Back