Milodon hardened shaft with bronze distributor gear

-

Ironmike

Reaction score
Anyone running one of these. Need a new drive for my in car engine and can't believe it's $100 less than the Mopar unit.

Kinda makes me wonder why such a big price diff.

I can't believe Mopar wants $245 for the shaft w/bronze gear

74861F18-5D2C-4A2A-BCF0-7F40D339CF27.jpeg
Anyone running one of these. Need a new drive for my in car engine and can't believe it's $100 less than the Mopar unit.

Kinda makes me wonder why such a big price diff.

The bronze gear is for a solid roller cam only. They are softer metal and they do wear so you have to replace them when they need it. Also when they get enough wear they can change you timing. You have to watchem.

When I was building my 434 small block I purchased the Milodon shaft/gear. After removing it from the package and spinning it between my fingers I could see the gear wobble so I chucked it up in my lathe and checked the run out with a dial indicator. It was .019", so I called milodon and was instructed to return it to Summit. So I ordered the Mopar shaft/gear, when it arrived I put it in the lathe and it only had .003" run out.

The bronze gear is for a solid roller cam only. They are softer metal and they do wear so you have to replace them when they need it. Also when they get enough wear they can change you timing. You have to watchem.

It’s for any roller cam, hyd or solid. The roller cam is usually made from a billet piece of steel, wearing out a normal iron gear. Though I have seen some roller cams that had a iron gear pressed on a billet cam. I ran a bronze gear for over 10k Miles with minimal wear. It will only retard the ignition timing slightly over time, nothing You can’t handle.

It’s for any roller cam, hyd or solid. The roller cam is usually made from a billet piece of steel, wearing out a normal iron gear. Though I have seen some roller cams that had a iron gear pressed on a billet cam. I ran a bronze gear for over 10k Miles with minimal wear. It will only retard the ignition timing slightly over time, nothing You can’t handle.
Hughs engines has a steel geared shaft that will work w/ a billet roller cam . I have one in my 505 " wedge .

I'm using it in my 408 roller, no problems, though as it wears timing is effected. With my XFI sportsman EFI I set a code at the top of 2nd gear once for #1 reference out of range. It was time for a new gear.

20151020_174544.jpg

Okay.
Bronze gears are for billet cams, no matter what style grind hyd/solid.

The ticket or gear to use with billet core cams... is the crain coated steel gear. It can only be used on the cam its broke in with. You cannot reuse it on another billet cam. They are around 90 bucks. Ive been using one for over 5 yrs.

If you simply ask the grinder to use a cast iron core, not as durable, it will allow you to use a regular gear.
The gear presses onto your existing mp hardened shaft.
So ... you need buy the mopar performance hardened intermediate package...then buy the the crain coated gear and remove and replace the mp gear with the new crain piece.

Guess what guys. The Milodon unit has been pulled from everybodies shelves. Guy at Summit told me all are defective.
Never fails. Guess the last lot they made had the wrong tooth pattern.
Go figure.

Guess what guys. The Milodon unit has been pulled from everybodies shelves. Guy at Summit told me all are defective.
Never fails. Guess the last lot they made had the wrong tooth pattern.
Go figure.

Big block spline oppose sb spline, so maybe. I have a bronze bb gear, brand new sitting on the shelf.

Last edited:
I used a Milidon oil pump and shaft on my last Hemi build...good quality stuff. I'm

I was lucky. Bought a brand new MP unit for less than the "on hold" Milodon, from a member here. I am replacing the Crane "melonized" steel gear than I ran on the dyno only. I'm sticking with bronze for both my billet rollers.

FYI I talked to Milodon last week and they will begin shipping the "corrected" units to retailers on Jan 31. Had a bad lot go out. That's all he was willing to tell me.

Wow just ordered one from mancini will give it a good once over hope it's not a bad one

-
Back