Miss Maylene

-
Not hard. Mounts from Schumacher. Stock valve covers clear heater motor. Master cylinder adapter got that out of the way. The 383 in the Demon fit easy too with power steering.

Not hard. Mounts from Schumacher. Stock valve covers clear heater motor. Master cylinder adapter got that out of the way. The 383 in the Demon fit easy too with power steering.

I'm really tempted to do a basic hop up on a big block, I think it will preform a bit better and the cool factor is always a plus.

Digging those wheels Tony

Thanks John, I think they will look good!

Not a lot of progress, been trying to get the Duster out of the garage. But have bought more more stuff. Some super stock springs with new rear shackles. Then a buddy sold me a Holley 750 Double Pumper.

IMG_20170418_220321734.jpg

IMG_20170407_201219410.jpg

I think I put those springs under my 74.....been awhile, can't remember for sure. I like the way the car sat afterwards, but some people think the *** is too high. It's all progress by the way...whether collecting parts or sticking them on the car!

Had a rough few days at work so I needed some engine therapy. Truly my zin time.

So I figured the 318 was worth taking a look at. It's dirty. They put some decent pistons in it but left stock heads. I will dive into it more when I get time but so far it doesn't look bad.

IMG_20170425_210828089.jpg

IMG_20170425_212232744.jpg

IMG_20170425_213212459.jpg

IMG_20170425_213536216.jpg

IMG_20170425_220915314.jpg

IMG_20170425_220936843.jpg

IMG_20170425_220953449.jpg

IMG_20170425_221056572.jpg

Yeah, all the cylinders still have the cross hatching. Still trying to decide if I wanna do a basic hope up or go all out on it.

Well,just remember that the more cam you add,the more the daily driving becomes a chore. The only ways to make big power and have a good driver are A;turbocharging/supercharging B;Nitrous. C;big inches ... And then theres the budget thingy too,which is the true limit on making power. But I think you can have a nice streetable 318 without stroking etc . It's entirely possible to make 400 h.p with a 318,and have it be a good driver without blowing your budget. Cylinder heads are key...

Alright gargoyles, after talking with Hughes and doing some pricing I have come up with three plans. I'm throwing out the stroker 390 idea. It would cost around $5200 in just part, plus another $600 the get the block all clean and checked with new cam bearings and what not.

So.

Plan A. Keep the 318, take it to the machine shop have them do there thing. Bring it home and stick the free cam I got with the duster and a set of decent heads. It would be the cheapest and get the car back on the road.

Plan B. Find a big block, low deck I would prefer a 383. I've found a few around but either people want to much or they are rusted up. From running the figures. Which isn't a guide line by any means. Around $2600 for preformence parts and swap headers and mounts, then another $1200 for machine work, bearings and pistons. Probably another $1000 is misc parts.
It would be a sweet swap and super fun I would say.

Plan C. Find a 360, like everyone says. Well LA 360 are hard to find around here but the 5.9 Magnums are everywhere. My local junk yard quoted me $150 for a long block. But to the meat and potatoes of it. I would wanna do a 408-410. Its not going to change the price of the swap much but it would out preform both of the mentioned swaps.

I have everything to convert the car to a 4 speed with a small block. So I think that's a big plus.

Let me know you guys thinking.

Do what fits your pocket book.
I bought a 70 Challenger roller a month ago, was planning on doing a cheap 318 rebuild for it.
Two days ago a good friend of mine said his buddy has a running LA 360 for sale with low miles for $250, it's in a dump truck, but the guy bought the truck just for the dump bed.
So looks like my next project has changed directions before I even started on it.

While your looking at magnums,I wonder what a 5.7 hemi would cost? Lol! probably stupid priced,sorry for mentioning it. I do like the Magnum option,they make a great torquey street motor. Be sure to check the heads for cracks.

Actually 5.7 hemis are not that bad price wise, my cousin just bought a wrecked Durango from a salvage auction for $1000 motor still starts right up.
It's going in his 69 charger.

There are a few hemis around, that is an option but does require some extra bits to do the swap.

Honestly I've been leaning towards the magnum option. I just finished the swap in my Duster. I have been super happy with it so far.

Mag is a good choice, I put the one I built for my Duster in my old truck, it runs great.
Throw some KB107 pistons in it with a good set of heads, and a small cam, easy power.

I was doing some research and found this set up. I'm really thinking about saving some money and get it. It's a 408 short block. I just have to figure out heads and a cam. But for the price you can't beat it.

Screenshot_20170507-144110.png

The carb your buddy sold you is a vacuum secondary.
The carb will have a number, List - 3310 or something like that, the number will be on the choke air horn.

I was doing some research and found this set up. I'm really thinking about saving some money and get it. It's a 408 short block. I just have to figure out heads and a cam. But for the price you can't beat it.

View attachment 1715045347
Toluene 73 bought one.., looking to be well done, looks like the Keith Black hyper pistons....Check his thread out....

I like the short block.. Very clean, Super fast shipping. They use the KB 416 pistons I believe.. .040 over so it's a 410. Even with the small cam and the old heads the thing has balls. It's hard trying to be nice to it for the first oil change. lol

Note- It looks like it's a roller 360 block.. Not a magnum as it had the oil provisions for the heads, but there were the mounting holes for the lifter brackets.. at least I think thats what they were. I've never had a roller block. But everything bolted right up and lined up good, oiled properly on the stand.

I like the short block.. Very clean, Super fast shipping. They use the KB 416 pistons I believe.. .040 over so it's a 410. Even with the small cam and the old heads the thing has balls. It's hard trying to be nice to it for the first oil change. lol

Note- It looks like it's a roller 360 block.. Not a magnum as it had the oil provisions for the heads, but there were the mounting holes for the lifter brackets.. at least I think thats what they were. I've never had a roller block. But everything bolted right up and lined up good, oiled properly on the stand.

Thanks man! Cool to know about the possible roller block. Id love to do roller cam and a decent set of heads. Just gotta save up the money.

It is a duel inlet, vacuum secondary.
Double pumpers do not have the vacuum can on the passenger side.
Got it! Thanks for the info. Still not bad for the price.

-
Back