Miss Maylene

-
Im no good at decoding fender tags,so I wont even try lol...As for the bolt,PB Blaster. If that dont work,heat the head with a torch,then hit it with a cold wet rag.

The rapid shrink will help break it free.

Tried PB blaster and it's soaking right now. Hopefully that will help. I will have to try that heat and cool trick! I tried looking the numbers up but I got confused and stopped haha.
Thanks!

When the top of the tag is rusted, lots of times you can read the back easier. There are decoders online. Try mymopar.com

I've thought about that, maybe push some play doh in the back to get an impression. Here's what one member here came up with.
umm W23 is a B-body prefix could be LM23?

From me attempting to guess it..
LM23:
Dodge Dart
G2B: 318 150HP(net) or 155HP(net) 1-2BBL 8 CYL
Dodge Main, Hamtramck, MI, USA
123456: Sequence number
E44: 318 cid 2 barrel V8 230hp
D34: Light Duty Automatic Transmission
EW1: Dower White Exterior Color
F3X9: Trim - Luxury, Cloth/Vinyl Bench Seat, Black
TX9: Black Diamond Int. Door Frames
201: Build Date: February 01
123456: Order number
V1X: Full Vinyl Top, Black
U: USA Specifications
G11: Tinted Glass (all)
G33: LH Remote Racing Mirror
H51: Air Conditioning with Heater
U2: Unknown
L25: Trunk Lamp
L31: Hood/Fender Mounted Turn Signals
M21: Roof drip rail moldings
M43: Grille Trim Moldings
M88: Decklid Moldings Treatment
V5X: Body Side Stripes, Black
EN1: End of Sales Codes

Not a huge deal I was just wondering.

On a side note I have been thinking of body work and paint. I've decided either Winchester Grey or a form of White. I'm a gun smith and pretty big into firearms plus winchester grey just looks awesome. White was the original color to the car but I like more of a cream white then a pure white.

Tried PB blaster and it's soaking right now. Hopefully that will help. I will have to try that heat and cool trick! I tried looking the numbers up but I got confused and stopped haha.
Thanks!

Be extremly careful with that bolt, it runs thru the timing chain cover, and goes into the block, which runs into a water jacket.
My guess is it has rusted in the threads to the water jacket, or seeing the extra washers somebody used too long a bolt and overtightened it to get it to quit leaking.
Break it off and most likely you will be removing the timing chain cover to extract the bolt.

So when I came home from work I went straight to work. I forgot to take some pictures but I got the old belts off and the new ones on.

Then radiator slid into place

Had to use this guy to help find the bottom bolt holes

New lower hose one and it didn't fit

Trimmed

And forgot the spring

Way better!

Trans lines hooked up

Top on and hooked up, all buttoned up

Redneck funnel

Good to go

Well woke up to this

She didn't like the cold but I got her to stay running.

Plus she got up and boogied

And done

So now I found out I have a fuel leak out of the tank.... So new tank coming soon. Plus I have no brake lights and my reverse lights stay on all the time. Werid so now I have some wiring to check out.

Also when I turn and get half way through it the car acts like it's leaning out and surges back to life. Kind of confusing.

Getting it done!

Cool thread ,JeepJeep. Nice car,with improvements & a learning curve. Subscribed.....

Be extremly careful with that bolt, it runs thru the timing chain cover, and goes into the block, which runs into a water jacket.
My guess is it has rusted in the threads to the water jacket, or seeing the extra washers somebody used too long a bolt and overtightened it to get it to quit leaking.
Break it off and most likely you will be removing the timing chain cover to extract the bolt.

I didn't even see this till now, sorry. It was seized up pretty good but I soaked it over night, hit it with some heat and cold and boom she was good. Thanks!

In other news I've been searching for tanks. Anyone have recommendation? My parts guy only has one for $400 which seems way high to me, I did a EBay search and found a few. But should I trust them is the question there.

Also my boss wants me to sell his camper for him and whatever I make over the price he wants I get to keep it. So more dart parts!

On the tank if have heard good reviews on the one made in Canada.

You guys ever just lose interest? Ask yourself why are you doing this?

I'm not sure why but for the last week and some, I just can't shake the feeling. It seems like I take one step forward and 20 steps back. It's like the car doesn't want to come back to life. I love the dart and dream about actually getting to drive her but it just seems like it won't ever happen.

I don't know, maybe you guys can give me a hint or something but I'm not seeing a light at the end of this tunnel.

I'm not sure why but for the last week and some, I just can't shake the feeling. It seems like I take one step forward and 20 steps back. It's like the car doesn't want to come back to life. I love the dart and dream about actually getting to drive her but it just seems like it won't ever happen.

I don't know, maybe you guys can give me a hint or something but I'm not seeing a light at the end of this tunnel.

I know what you mean Tony. Right now other priorities are in my way right now,so my projects go to the wayside. Don't let it bother you,take a break and come back to it later on.

took me 10 years to finish mine.. yeah... 10 years. and since I've had it finished in November, I've put nearly 3k miles on it :) see my car in my sig ... 71 Dart Swinger :)

Take a brake, absence will make the heart grow fonder. Yep, I've had a 10 year project also. When I'd get frustrated, when life would get in the way, and when I didn't have the money I just took a break. I usually promised myself I'd work on it at least one 2-hour session per month. Eventually, the juices started flowing after a few months and then I'd get passionate about it again.

I know what you mean Tony. Right now other priorities are in my way right now,so my projects go to the wayside. Don't let it bother you,take a break and come back to it later on.
Thanks John, life does seem to get in the way.
took me 10 years to finish mine.. yeah... 10 years. and since I've had it finished in November, I've put nearly 3k miles on it :) see my car in my sig ... 71 Dart Swinger :)
I hope it doesn't take me 10 years! Congrates on finishing
Take a brake, absence will make the heart grow fonder. Yep, I've had a 10 year project also. When I'd get frustrated, when life would get in the way, and when I didn't have the money I just took a break. I usually promised myself I'd work on it at least one 2-hour session per month. Eventually, the juices started flowing after a few months and then I'd get passionate about it again.
I will have to figure out a plan like that, just tough to find time with two jobs. School debt sucks hahaha. Thanks you

It took me 2 years of planing, 2 years of down time and now I have about 18K on the rebuild but let me tell you there were some dark times especially when it was at body and paint ( look at my build thread posts #52-#170 ) that's when I just about threw the towel in.

Even after I got it back and running I had a string of bad luck breaks, bolts snapping, eccentric sheave breaking, electric fuel pump fry, rear axle seal, the list goes on.

I have always told myself "The Dart is a work in progress" and I know that it will NEVER be finished but the SMILE it puts on my face when I'm hitting the throttle......Priceless, hang in there it will be worth it someday trust me.

Dont lose faith bud!!! It is a long learning curve with these old cars. At least you are young and healthy. So keep your drive and persevere.

The leaning out thing around corners sounds like a float or sticky float needle and seat.. Oddly enough had a Dodge Caravan that used to die on right hand turns only. I figured it was electrical,and replaced the battery ground. Problem went away...Weird.

But yours sounds like fuel starvation.

Dont lose faith bud!!! It is a long learning curve with these old cars. At least you are young and healthy. So keep your drive and persevere.

The leaning out thing around corners sounds like a float or sticky float needle and seat.. Oddly enough had a Dodge Caravan that used to die on right hand turns only. I figured it was electrical,and replaced the battery ground. Problem went away...Weird.

But yours sounds like fuel starvation.

Starvation hmmm. Does make sense. I thought maybe the accelerator pump. Maybe it just needs a better tune haha.

The car has just been on my mind all the time, so I just took some time away from it and well be checking things out next week.

Also helps to build myself a nice boom stick and blow something up!

I had an old dodge truck one time it would want to die out on hard left hand turns.
It was the float level set wrong

Hey folks. Well I got a wild hair and decided to get some stuff to start working again. So I picked up a sander and a bunch of different grits.
5B8DFB45-C288-4FDC-9962-2CB53FDE3119_zpsp5z7b5xw.jpg

Plus some paints to do the wheels, still trying to figure out how I wanna do it. I got that graphit color I did the grille in and some bright agent like the original color would be. I'm thinking doing the wheel in the darker color, what do you guys think?
66AEC6F4-79D1-467D-AFFF-0547F77BFC9F_zpsdik7q1wr.jpg

9EACDCA0-56B2-404A-AD29-6A10025DCF89_zpsuzaedzk5.jpg

Also made a list of what I wanna get done by Monday
1FA469AC-ABFC-405A-B023-1E363BCC1A5E_zps1ig58tpi.jpg

I got the wash done early and decent to take some photos. Here's my favorite
A7094F59-D45C-4895-BF48-B8976205CDC5_zpsrgdqnn7e.jpg

Hopefully tomorrow I will have some good updates for you folks. Enjoy your weekend!

Good to see the fire,relit.... as for wheel color,what do you like? I like something like a argent silver,or something silver & iridescent (Dupli Color wheel silver,looks DEEP & shiny.).

-
Back