Mopar A-body custom rear sway bar

-
I wonder if they made an aftermarket rear bar back in the day? Reason is the donor car I bought had a bar mounted off a 69 cuda, so I kept it on there when swapping over to my 67.
It does`nt look factory, probably 3/4" bar.

I wonder if they made an aftermarket rear bar back in the day? Reason is the donor car I bought had a bar mounted off a 69 cuda, so I kept it on there when swapping over to my 67.
It does`nt look factory, probably 3/4" bar.
I did not know that certain barracuda could be equipped with a rear sway bar of factory.

I wonder if someone sells a beefier bar for the Jeeps since that one is only 3/4. I think the A body one was 7/8

The man does not explain where he finds this long threaded screws double end. Do you know a link?
Otherwise, I thought of the classic threaded stem but it's not very nice.
rear sway bar video.PNG

Maybe here:Double End Threaded Studs - Rods and Studs - Grainger Industrial Supply

Last edited:
I did not know that certain barracuda could be equipped with a rear sway bar of factory.
It probably was`nt, that`s why I said it did`nt look factory. It was either aftermarket, or adapted off another vehicle. It attaches 2 places on axle tubes, loops around and attaches on each side of the forward frame rail under and center.

The same could be accomplished by welding a pad to the housing rather than those odd bolts.
The frame hung sway bar mounting is a better design.
I used a rear bar from an 83 Imperial on my 70 Charger:

58.JPG

60.JPG

Slick swaybar install. I have a hellwig G tech for the front , i will have to look for a jeep rear bar. Those 90s XJs are all over my local salvage yard. Will prob buy 2 of em. One for each cuda lol

I've got the rear bar from a '99 Durango. I have held it up to the rear on my '67 and it's a nice fit. Haven't fully decided if I'm going to use it, though.

Pretty neat idea, but there’s a few minor issues with the install. The arms on the sway bar are angled up pretty significantly, they should be roughly parallel to the ground. That might be possible with a different bracket and/or end link location though.

The Jeep sway bar he uses is only a 1/2” in diameter (says so right in the video). The other thing is, sway bar rate depends on more than diameter, the length of the arms on that particular bar are pretty long, which will reduce the overall rate. Definitely an improvement over no bar at all, but it will be a lot softer than an aftermarket 3/4” A-body rear bar. That will be good for a car with fairly stock suspension or mild handing improvements, but it’ll be soft for a car that has it’s suspension set up for handling in mind. For the gentleman that made the video, stock torsion bars and an aftermarket front sway bar, it probably works well. But it’s not adjustable like aftermarket bars, so, you get what you get.

Neat idea for a low buck rear bar if you’ve got local wrecking yards to pick up a bar cheap, but I don’t see any reason to buy an aftermarket jeep bar instead of one for an A-body.

Pretty neat idea, but there’s a few minor issues with the install. The arms on the sway bar are angled up pretty significantly, they should be roughly parallel to the ground. That might be possible with a different bracket and/or end link location though.

The Jeep sway bar he uses is only a 1/2” in diameter (says so right in the video). The other thing is, sway bar rate depends on more than diameter, the length of the arms on that particular bar are pretty long, which will reduce the overall rate. Definitely an improvement over no bar at all, but it will be a lot softer than an aftermarket 3/4” A-body rear bar. That will be good for a car with fairly stock suspension or mild handing improvements, but it’ll be soft for a car that has it’s suspension set up for handling in mind. For the gentleman that made the video, stock torsion bars and an aftermarket front sway bar, it probably works well. But it’s not adjustable like aftermarket bars, so, you get what you get.

Neat idea for a low buck rear bar if you’ve got local wrecking yards to pick up a bar cheap, but I don’t see any reason to buy an aftermarket jeep bar instead of one for an A-body.

I also saw but the man uses lowering block.This increases the sway bar angle.

-
Back