Mushy brakes 4 life...

-
Judging by the large picture you posted in the other thread, I think you have 11 x 2" backing plates. I have never seen an 11 x 2.5" backing plate shaped like that. I bet the backing plate was laying on the brake cable "pockets" when you measured the depth.

This is along the lines of what I’m thinking.

I don’t know what plates those are, but, something is off. If both sets of drums are the same there’s no reason to machine the drums, that’s not the problem. Machining the drums may get you past the interference issue, but something still isn’t right. And most likely it’ll come up again somewhere else once the drums clear.

Don’t start fixing stuff that isn’t broken (the drums), find the real source of the problem.

Last edited:
Judging by the large picture you posted in the other thread, I think you have 11 x 2" backing plates. I have never seen an 11 x 2.5" backing plate shaped like that. I bet the backing plate was laying on the brake cable "pockets" when you measured the depth.

I remeasured them yesterday when I had it all apart and it’s 1.75”. I hung the e brake cable bump off so it sits flat. Besides, would an 11x2 backing plate only be .100” off? I’m to the point of grinding, hacking, and moving on. I’m about burned out of this drum brake project. I’m ready to start putting miles on this car. I’ll never know the mystery.

Last edited:
Well I’m the first to admit it. I measured the damn things on a table. I own it. This might be the problem. Finding 11x2 drums this am is a challenge.

2228DE5C-AA93-4710-8A1C-98D1E72AF95B.jpeg

Well I’m the first to admit it. I measured the damn things on a table. I own it. This might be the problem. Finding 11x2 drums this am is a challenge.

View attachment 1715142550

Yup, those are 11x2’s.

I would get 11x2.5” backing plates. 11x2” drums, and even shoes, aren’t that easy to find all the time. And you already have all the hardware and drums.

Lemme check my stash, I may have an extra set of 11x2.5” backing plates. I have some used 11x2” drums too, but I don’t think I’ve got any of those that are in good enough shape to run.

My O’Reilly has 2 11x2 drums coming in. Be here at 2 today. I guess those bumps held it up more. Lesson learned but damn. I had everybody’s head scratching including mine. But I own it 100%. Shoddy measuring. My fault. Sorry to waste everybody’s time!

My O’Reilly has 2 11x2 drums coming in. Be here at 2 today. I guess those bumps held it up more. Lesson learned but damn. I had everybody’s head scratching including mine. But I own it 100%. Shoddy measuring. My fault. Sorry to waste everybody’s time!

Nice! Glad you found a set you could get ahold of quickly, sometimes they can be harder to find and take some time to get ahold of. Don't forget you'll need new brake shoes too, the rest of the hardware will work.

Yeah the parking brake cable mounts will hold the plate up and totally mess with your measurements, that's why I measure them with that part hanging off the edge of the bench. No way to get consistent measurements otherwise. Measure twice cut once! :D

Yeah. Dumb stuff like this is annoying, though 100% my fault. I’m a rated aircraft pilot and can fly jets but can’t use a tape measure. Ugh. Hopefully this fixes this whole fiasco. This is also the first time I’ve pieced one together. Normally back in the past I’ve been lucky to find a donor and knew what I had!

PS- the only vehicle listed for a 11x2 was a 1972 Dodge Monaco. I’m hoping they will interchange and work.

Yeah. Dumb stuff like this is annoying, though 100% my fault. I’m a rated aircraft pilot and can fly jets but can’t use a tape measure. Ugh. Hopefully this fixes this whole fiasco. This is also the first time I’ve pieced one together. Normally back in the past I’ve been lucky to find a donor and knew what I had!

PS- the only vehicle listed for a 11x2 was a 1972 Dodge Monaco. I’m hoping they will interchange and work.

Piecing stuff like that together can be a pain as you've found out.

I'm only aware of one 11x2" brake set for these cars, but all of the 11x2's that I have came from mid-sixties B bodies. C body brake stuff was different some years although that was the fronts. It's not an Imperial so the bolt pattern should be the same and the BBP 8 3/4 axle flange offset didn't change once the tapered axles went away. I think that's probably a listing error in O'Reilly's book, but the part should work as long as it's really an 11x2" drum.

Do you have a part # to cross reference?

I have not been able to find anybody listing these for B body cars. Rock Auto ... nobody. Not saying they did or didn’t come with them.... just that they don’t list it as an option.

I have not been able to find anybody listing these for B body cars. Rock Auto ... nobody. Not saying they did or didn’t come with them.... just that they don’t list it as an option.

You know after checking my notes on the cars I pulled those 8 3/4's with 11x2" brakes from I see that they were C-bodies. Still mid-sixties C-bodies, but C-bodies none the less. They should list for more than just '72's but those parts lists aren't always 100%. They should be fine, the Imperials were the only ones that came with a different bolt pattern and I think that was late fifties/early sixties anyway.

Last edited:
Well I think I’m in the show. LR went together smooth. I’ll do the RR tomorrow and wait for the rain to go away for a drive. Thanks again to everybody who helped me get this sorted out. And also to Cass for his tech support as well. Thanks.

-
Back