MuuMuu101's 68 Dart, A Learning Process...

-
Wait so you are getting flowmaster or TTI? I would run Dynomax Ultra Flos for mufflers regardless...I absolutely love them.

Well, I called them today. First off, they seemed to have found paint at Pep Boys similar to my body color in matte that they wanted to do a little trial to see if it will look good, but after my phone call, I sent them a text back and told them just to go to a paint supply store, get WW1 PPG paint and do it right once (which they've been telling me about everything else).

Wait so you are getting flowmaster or TTI? I would run Dynomax Ultra Flos for mufflers regardless...I absolutely love them.

This was also the next big thing I talked to them about. The Flowmaster exhaust has been CANCELED! THANK GOD! I'm not a huge fan of them and ironically neither is the build manager. I walked him through TTi's website over the phone and showed him exactly what part numbers to ask about when he calls them. I also showed him the information for which starter to get that would fit with my TTi shorty headers. So, yes, the entire exhaust, headers to tips will be TTi with the Dynomax mufflers. We'll probably go with 2.5" for rooms sake and we're unsure whether it will be an X or H pipe due to the trans. I think 3" will be overkill based off of what I read: http://www.exhaustvideos.com/faq/how-to-calculate-muffler-size-pipe-diameter/

Update. Engine compartment is finally painted. You can notice it's a little different than the outside and that's because the previous owner did a paint job with a metallic white/cream. Either way, I don't care as it's just an engine compartment.

Attachments

• IMG_3346.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 281
  • IMG953348.jpg
    48.9 KB · Views: 296
  • IMG953347.jpg
    32 KB · Views: 278
Still on the list of things to do:

-Interior needs to be finished (i.e. seats, steering column, rear seat delete panel, and roll cage).
-Tunnel and pedals need to be modified for the T56.
-New brake lines.
-Fix/weld K-frame.
-Install PS box (no ETA still).
-Install Engine and related accessories.
-Workout bugs.

Progress is slow but steady. The Dart will not make it to Spring Fling. I'm currently looking for a replacement vehicle for the 4 days.

Some parts have come in. Exhaust and Radiator assembly is at the the shop. I found a nice air cleaner on Summit that I thought matched the car and the engine nicely.

Attachments

• IMG953349.jpg
    68.5 KB · Views: 271
  • air cleaner assembly.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 256
Looking good man how long before you think it's on the road

Side members complete (minus paint).

Attachments

• IMG_3355.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 181
Little update. Engine is in the car. Door bars were finished and sent for powder coating. The interior was also cleaned out, sanded, and painted. Almost time for tunnel surgery.
sawzall.gif

IMG_3364.jpg
IMG_3363.jpg

Another update this week. Floor was cut and Borgeson box was placed in the vehicle. Since I screwed up my column pretty badly when I "rebuilt" it years ago, we may go with another one. We've got some pretty unique ideas for the center console to accommodate the shifter. It should be pretty cool!
thumbs_up.gif

IMG_3368.jpg

IMG_3369.jpg

Trans mount is almost done, then the T56 can go in. I screwed up my steering column pretty badly as it isn't worth it to repair. Plus we have to modify the steering shaft for the coupler on the new steering box. Instead of fixing it, we bought a new Flaming Rivers tilt-column to go in the car which just arrived today. Sway bars are also under the car. Slowly chiseling away at it.

IMG953413.jpg

If you can, post a pic or 2 of how they put the torsion bar crossmember back together. I have ideas on how I'm going to do mine where I cut it into to install the 545RFE, but might like their way better.

looking good. been away on vacation for a week so just catching up on some threads I follow.

looking good. been away on vacation for a week so just catching up on some threads I follow.

It's great that progress is moving, but man am I itching to drive the thing. Summer is only a couple months away.

Trans brace is done. Working on getting the new column in and ordering the right flywheel.

IMG953448.jpg

looking good. Your tunnel will be just like mine. a little on the large size. I makes the gas pedal a little crowded.

looking good. Your tunnel will be just like mine. a little on the large size. I makes the gas pedal a little crowded.

That's one thing I noticed when I saw it. I'm a little worried on how comfortable it will turn out with the XL Corbeau LG1's and pedals, but it is what it is. That's what happens when you want everything to be big in a small car. Lol.

Looking good! Is your exhaust going to have room to go across the top of the new trans mount? I think I'm going to use 1/4" thick flat bar to tie my torsion bar cross member back together on top. It will keep my tunnel a tad smaller. I'm using the Hemi Denny Coilover conversion for a stock K member, so I don't have to worry about the t bars twisting on the cross member.

Looking good! Is your exhaust going to have room to go across the top of the new trans mount? I think I'm going to use 1/4" thick flat bar to tie my torsion bar cross member back together on top. It will keep my tunnel a tad smaller. I'm using the Hemi Denny Coilover conversion for a stock K member, so I don't have to worry about the t bars twisting on the cross member.

I hope so. Lol. Trying to look at some pictures from TTi, it seems like the exhaust should come out through the "divets" on the torsion bar crossmember.

The exhaust goes through the divots in the crossmember, but I don't think you're going to be able to go above that transmission mount without a hard turn. Not what I was taking a picture of here, but you can see how the exhaust routes. This isn't a TTI system, but there really isn't any room for it to do anything different in that location. You'd need two 90*'s to get over that transmission mount.

IMG_1808_zps23307da1.jpg

-
Back