MuuMuu101's 68 Dart, A Learning Process...

-
Yep, I see what you're talking about. There only seems to be an inch or less between the trans mount and the bottom of the frame rails.

A little more welding done this week and the tunnel is coming together. Working on getting the center console into the car and looking snazzy.
IMG953449.jpg

Just looking at that pic, it doesn't look like the new tunnel crowded the gas pedal too bad. I'm gonna have a huge X large tunnel in my car too. Right now, my plan is to order carpet to fit the original floor, and get ACC to send enough matching carpet that's flat....to do the hump.

Yeah, I don't know what I'm going to do with carpet. I told the guys I'd like to retain it. I think we're going to try to make my old one work. Just cut out the tunnel area since the console is going back in. Also looking at the tunnel picture, relative to the seat mounts, the shifter looks to be back a bit. Maybe not.

There's been a few guys that were able to use the regular auto carpet without any trouble. I know 72bbswinger just reused his auto carpet, and he put in a pretty large tunnel with his T56.

And mosleyme put a console in his car with a T56. I know the shifter location is further back and centered compared to the 4 speed location, but I'm not sure how it compares to the auto shifter handle location. I thought I recalled hearing it was in inch or two further back, but I don't recall where I heard that. That's how it looks here, couple inches back

Here's mosleyme's mock up with the console, and his thread...
1968 Barracuda Notch - Plano, TX
dsc03071s-jpg.1714709321

Last edited:
There's been a few guys that were able to use the regular auto carpet without any trouble. I know 72bbswinger just reused his auto carpet, and he put in a pretty large tunnel with his T56.

And mosleyme put a console in his car with a T56. I know the shifter location is further back and centered compared to the 4 speed location, but I'm not sure how it compares to the auto shifter handle location. I thought I recalled hearing it was in inch or two further back, but I don't recall where I heard that. That's how it looks here, couple inches back

dsc03071s-jpg.1714709321

Luckily, I have my old auto carpet that was in a pretty decent condition. Well, we're probably going to remove the top plate of the console since it was an auto and fab up our own. We've got a pretty cool idea we want to implement.

We do these kinds of swaps/fabrication all the time. If your looking for a stock looking carpet our interior guys just buys the loop carpet. the first piece to go down is the tunnel. then he makes patterns and cuts full length pieces to fit the floor boards binds the edges of the floor pieces and glues them in place. looks pretty much stock. really not much more than a stock carpet set. And it looks and fits so much better. I will see if I can find some pictures of some of the cars he has done for us.

dsc03071s-jpg.1714709321

I saw that picture and was like... hey, wait a minute. It is about 2 inches back but the shifter rests right under my hand. My goal is to make the interior look very close to stock, or at least look stock to someone not totally familiar with our cars. Here it is with the brackets welded in place:

DSC07046.jpg

YES!!! That looks freaking awesome!
Thanks. With the "White Lightning" shifter the handle is offset and can be rotated any direction. If I had that option I may have been able to make it work without moving the console.
White Lightning Shifter Mechanism, Magnum, independent adjustable spring bias for improved centering.

I test fit it with the factory bucket. Moving the console back limits the amount I can move the stock seat forward. Not a problem for me per say since I use the seat pretty much all the way back, just something to know. The narrower aftermarket buckets should not be a problem.

Thanks. With the "White Lightning" shifter the handle is offset and can be rotated any direction. If I had that option I may have been able to make it work without moving the console.
White Lightning Shifter Mechanism, Magnum, independent adjustable spring bias for improved centering.

I test fit it with the factory bucket. Moving the console back limits the amount I can move the stock seat forward. Not a problem for me per say since I use the seat pretty much all the way back, just something to know. The narrower aftermarket buckets should not be a problem.

I don't think my buckets will be much narrower as I got the XL Corbeau LG1. I'm a little bit on the short side so I tend to sit forward a little bit. We should be able to make it work though. Good to know on the shifter.

I just talked to the guys today. They got the clutch and flywheel from Centerforce so now things should be coming together.

Visited the car yesterday. Dropped off a few parts, picked up some old parts to take home, talked with everyone at the shop, and ate some barbecue. The car is close to being done. One of our biggest road blocks was that Centerforce Performance didn't make a flywheel for an internally balanced 360 (as most were externally balanced). I'd imagine they'd have one for a 340, but I guess not. So, they agreed to make me a custom flywheel... For free! Well, technically a beer. Awesome guys and I can't thank them enough! That being said, once the custom flywheel comes back they're going to put the pedal to the metal to get that car done. 97% of the parts are just sitting there waiting to be installed. Once the engine and transmission are together, all the legos will fit back together.

One thing I noticed with the valve covers that I bought for my engine is that they're a lot wider than stock ones. I really liked them. I also, mocked up how the engine will look like with the air cleaner assembly and it's going to look pretty amazing! I'm excited! Things are moving.

20160701_103958.jpg

20160701_104010.jpg

20160701_111451.jpg

looking good, I'm sure you will be glad to get it up and running again. I know it's been a long haul for you.

looking good, I'm sure you will be glad to get it up and running again. I know it's been a long haul for you.

I'm excited. I just want to drive it as much as I can before I start my Master's in September.

bump bump any word from them on the end date to start fun time!
:steering:

Back, rear seat delete panel is done. We needed some ARP bolts for the flywheel and trans which came in today. I'll be visiting next Monday.

Visited the Dart today to sort some minor details out and check on progress. I talked with the mechanic in depth as well. They don't expect the car to stay there for another month. The mechanic found out that with the Quicktime bellhousing, the input of the transmission was offset just a tad so he ordered some dowel pins to help shim everything over so the transmission is true to the engine. Those should be coming in today meaning that the trans should be in by the end of the week.

We also mocked up the steering wheel position a little bit as well. I must say, I'm liking how the interior is turning out. It's really becoming pretty clean.

I just have to make some small decisions. Still deciding where to put a tachometer and which one to buy. I was thinking on the center console down low how they used to do it with the 66-67 GTX's, but thought it might be kind of weird looking at a tach that low unless I had a remote shift light on the dash. I was also thinking about having a small one mount on the dash pad right above the VIN tag. I'm also going to get a 5-point harness and I can't decide between black or red. Almost the entire interior is black and silver, but red belts would go with the calipers. Odds are it will be bought from Simpson's Race Products.

20160808_091227.jpg

20160808_091242.jpg

20160808_091256.jpg

20160808_094026.jpg

hey muu muu how are ya man?? been following along on this thread but haven't said much, car is looking awesome and has come a long way.

i bet your happy she's almost done.

i was wondering what kind of cash your paying to have this work done, you must have some deep pockets..........just asking for shock value, it has to be expensive....
higgs

Saw the Dart today. I was playing around with different gauges to try to find the best place for a tach and I'm still undecided. Brake lines are almost all done. There are just little small details that need to be massaged out but hopefully it shouldn't take more than 3-4 weeks.
luck.gif

unnamed.jpg

unnamed2.jpg

unnamed3.jpg

unnamed4.jpg

Saw the Dart today. I was playing around with different gauges to try to find the best place for a tach and I'm still undecided. Brake lines are almost all done. There are just little small details that need to be massaged out but hopefully it shouldn't take more than 3-4 weeks.
luck.gif

View attachment 1714964619

View attachment 1714964620

View attachment 1714964621

View attachment 1714964622
Wow you have come a long way from where you started! Your patience is not posting I get it :). Better it done right then wrong and dangerous or worse just a unhappy build. Your going to have a great driver that can carve up some track! Miss those cones :p

-
Back