My 5.9 into '68 Dart swap

-
Well, I haven't posted anything in almost a month. Progress kind of stalled for a bit due to normal life getting in the way. And just haven't felt much like posting..lol
I've finished up the mild porting on both heads and got them painted. Here's a few before and after pics.

IMG_20170502_111208200.jpg

IMG_20170502_111250461.jpg

IMG_20170512_170012805.jpg

IMG_20170512_170609479.jpg

Got both heads bolted on and torqued. Then tried a little test fit of my Doug's D453 headers.
Looks like no clearance issues at all. Pic is drivers side where most people say they have clearance issues with the truck mounts on the block.

IMG_20170513_195119771.jpg

IMG_20170514_141123939.jpg

Did a little work getting my intake manifold ready. The 3/8 pipe thread hole (on the right in first pic) would put the heater hose nipple right under the A/C bracket and pump. That ain't gonna work. So I drilled out the hole in the center and tapped it for 3/8 pipe thread. Then installed a plug in the original hole, mounted my hose nipples, and temp sender.

IMG_20170525_101940199.jpg

IMG_20170525_102518029.jpg

IMG_20170525_103728352.jpg

IMG_20170527_121049550.jpg

Then I did some modification to my 318 drivers side motor mount so it would fit the 5.9
I figured a little fab time would save from spending money on mounts.
Main problem with the drivers side 318 mount, is that on the rearward side of the mount it only has one mounting hole (for the bottom bolt), but the 5.9 only has an upper mounting boss at the rear. The other issue is on the 5.9 the front and rear mounting bosses are closer together, making the 318 mount too wide. I addressed both issues by taking a scrap piece of 1/4" steel plate I had laying around and shaped it for fit the mount, and contoured to the shape of the block. The thickness of the plate took up most of the width difference (I will still need to slip a thick washer between the mount and the boss). And after welding on the new piece it gave me a mounting point to bolt to the upper boss. Here's some pics of the mount.

mount1.jpg

mount2.jpg

mount3.jpg

mount4.jpg

mount5.jpg

Nice bracket work. I did the same thing to my intake as well.

Got both heads bolted on and torqued. Then tried a little test fit of my Doug's D453 headers.
Looks like no clearance issues at all. Pic is drivers side where most people say they have clearance issues with the truck mounts on the block.
Mine fit like that too. Can't imagine how they hit on some blocks. Must be other brands.

Would you please do me a favor? Would you take a picture of the exhaust gasket lined up with the header port and a similar one lined up with the port on the head?

Trying to figure out if the Doug's headers will seal on a set of MP R/T heads with a similar casting to your.

They will seal. They will also be slightly miss matched. There is po real measurable effect to sweat out.

They will seal. They will also be slightly miss matched. There is po real measurable effect to sweat out.

Might be, but they don't seal with the early freeflows. I had to cut adapters to get them to seal, and I'd like to get rid of them.

Here is a picture of how a standard gasket lays on my cylinder head - 5.9magnum questions

Whoa and wow! Thanks for the schooling Dion.

Whoa and wow! Thanks for the schooling Dion.

"Schooling" implies attitude. I hope I didn't come across like I was trying to correct anyone, just trying to share my problem.

If that isn't what you meant then glad to be able to help.

:thumbsup:

@DionR

"Schooling" implies attitude"
How do you come up with this?
To me that was a big assumption of what "You think" is being said without it being said.

It could not be further from the truth. There was no sarcasm. Just a straight up thank you for teaching me something.

WTF?!?!

Would you please do me a favor? Would you take a picture of the exhaust gasket lined up with the header port and a similar one lined up with the port on the head?

Trying to figure out if the Doug's headers will seal on a set of MP R/T heads with a similar casting to your.

Yeah I'll get some pics, but it might be a day or two before I get to it. Just started a new shift of 10 hour days at work, and it's kinda kickin my ***.

@DionR

"Schooling" implies attitude"
How do you come up with this?
To me that was a big assumption of what "You think" is being said without it being said.

It could not be further from the truth. There was no sarcasm. Just a straight up thank you for teaching me something.

WTF?!?!

I was concerned that my post with the picture might have come across like I had an attitude, not that your response did. All I meant was that in my mind the word "schooled" meant someone with an attitude taught you something. I did follow up with a "but if I misunderstood..." comment just in case I didn't read it the way you meant it.

I was trying to make sure things were smooth, and it looks like all I did was poke you in the eye. Really wasn't trying to start a fight. It was meant as a check to make sure I had posted clearly, not to force a meaning into your comment that wasn't there.

Yeah I'll get some pics, but it might be a day or two before I get to it. Just started a new shift of 10 hour days at work, and it's kinda kickin my ***.

No pressure, just when you get the chance. Thanks!

Nice! Looks like it was made for those heads. Gives me hope that I can run the Doug's headers and get rid of the "adapter" plates.

Thanks! Really appreciate the pictures!

If they aint hitting the block idk if they'll clear PS, unless of course you dont run it.

Well, you may be on to something there.
I finally dropped the engine in the car this after noon. I put the drivers side Doug's header in first, kind of tied in place as near as I could figure where it should be. Figured I could slip the passenger side in afterwards because theres a lot more room on that side.

Got the engine about 90% in place and then stuck a couple bolts in to mount the header to the engine. Then I got the engine mated up to the tranny after about an hour of fighting with it to get the last 1/2". Finally tried turning the engine over a little, and after about a half a turn, it finally fell into place.
Anyway, have a few bolts in it, its sitting on the mounts, and I detached the hoist. Then I see that the Doug's header is pinned tight up against the lower end of the steering column, and a few inches lower against the side of the power steering box. Cant see exactly where its hitting because the blanket that I was using to protect the header is trapped between the header and the steering box.
So, at some point I may have to pull the engine back out, so I can beat on the headers a bit, or maybe I can put the car up on stands and slip the header out the bottom. I really hate to pull the engine again after it was such a pain getting it to slip into place. Anyway, here's a few pics.

IMG_20170618_162226400.jpg

IMG_20170618_163734554.jpg

IMG_20170618_181838753_HDR.jpg

IMG_20170618_181909104.jpg

IMG_20170618_181901085.jpg

Bummer.
I shimmed the mounts up about 1/8" on this last 360, and made a little shield so #1 runner didnt cook the ps hose. Barely, barely clears. Dont forget to check your driveline angle if you go that route!

-
Back