My 6.1 retrofit thread

-
the G3 runs a 1.5" top hose and a 1.75" bottom hose.

I'm pretty sure it's 1 3/4 & 1 3/4- that being said, you can get this to run a 1 1/2 & 1 3/4 radiator (LS sizing):

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Allstar-30240-Radiator-Hose-Reducer/dp/B008REFBBE"]Allstar 30240 Radiator Hose Reducer 1.75 to 1.5 : Amazon.com : Automotive[/ame]

Car is looking great! Keep up the great work!

Not put in yet so no idea how much work will be involved - something Im leaving to a pro...

Uhcoog - I measured them - top one is 1.75, bottom is 1.5 - mines a 6.1 crate..not sure if that makes a difference?

Interesting! Mine is definitely 1 3/4 top and bottom. I ordered the neck with a factory part number.

Even more interesting, I just walked back and measured them on my 6.1. Top one is definitely larger than the bottom one. Looks to be approx 1.75 top and 1.5 bottom

Not put in yet so no idea how much work will be involved - something Im leaving to a pro...

Uhcoog - I measured them - top one is 1.5, bottom is 1.75 - mines a 6.1 crate..not sure if that makes a difference?

I have a crate motor also, the top (thermostat outlet) is larger ID than the bottom intake. About 5mm difference.

The top is the factory thin metal piece, the bottom is the cast cover.

Unfo my motor is at the workshop or Id measure them myself...but Im pretty certain the bottom was wider than the top....could have gotten them mixed up - but that doesnt fit with the radiator specs.......

1968-74 Dodge/Plymouth (5.7L & 6.1L Hemi Only) Aluminum Champion Radiator CC1643

Fits: 5.7L & 6.1 Hemi V8 Motor Only

Champion All Aluminum Radiator

3 ROW CORE

*** Please check specifications below before ordering and measure your radiator to verify fitment ***

Core Dimensions: 16-1/4" high x 25-3/4" wide (3 row core)
Overall Dimensions: 22-5/8" high x 29" wide
Upper inlet: 1 1/2" located on passenger side.
Lower outlet: 1 3/4" located on passenger side.
Auto trans cooler: included (Radiator will work on automatic or manual transmission)
OE mounting system
OE style brass petcock drain.
Billet style fill neck construction NOT STAMPED

The radiator i have, from Aussie Desert Cooler is stated as also being for a "Valiant (6.1ltr)"

The first thing you see is that the inlet and outlet are on different sides :banghead:

Also the top inlet on the radiator is the small size (which is the same as the bottom inlet on the motor), and the bottom outlet on the radiator is the large size (same larger size as top outlet on the motor) (thermostat)

Its all backwards!!!! useless.

Attachments

• DSCF1669.JPG
    170.1 KB · Views: 1,115
OK...CORRECTION

The top hose is 1.75 and the bottom is 1.5"......as Funky and Toplscuda stated.

I misunderstood the measurements my workshop gave me.

So I ordered my champion hemi swap radiator. I ordered the 26". Has both inlets and outlets on the passenger side. I'm just realizing now that I have received it. That the Inlet and outlets sings are Opposite. On my 5.7 the larger is on top. On my radiator the larger 1.75 is on bottom? What gives? Am I missing something?

Thats why I asked about the diameters - I figured out from this thread that the inlet/ outlet specs as listed are around the wrong way.

I went ahead anyhow...as my workshop said they could deal with wrong sized tubes easier than swapping sides for the outlet.

Thats why I asked about the diameters - I figured out from this thread that the inlet/ outlet specs as listed are around the wrong way.

I went ahead anyhow...as my workshop said they could deal with wrong sized tubes easier than swapping sides for the outlet.

What do they plan to do, some adapters?

We're going to try and source tapered hoses - otherwise my mechanic is simply going to cut them off and re-weld them onto the tanks top to bottom.

Good news is, the radiator drops straight in and no clearancing of the radiator cross member or the sides is required. Just re-drill the stud holes and bolt up.

We're going to try and source tapered hoses - otherwise my mechanic is simply going to cut them off and re-weld them onto the tanks top to bottom.

Good news is, the radiator drops straight in and no clearancing of the radiator cross member or the sides is required. Just re-drill the stud holes and bolt up.

I was thinking about having them switched. Seems pointless buying a radiator for a swap, that you have to modify anyway. Bummer.

Yea I dropped mine in and it slide right in. Its the CC1643. It seems like its right above the correct holes, I thought about trimming the lower support to let it drop. But I'll see once I get it setting in and have a better look at it.

Yeah its a little taller, but any changes can be accommodated between the existing radiator support panels at least.

I agree that its a bummer they have the inlet / outlet around the wrong way - but it still beats having to swap the outlet across to your passenger side....with patch welding etc.

And because they are for a B Body, you get more cooling surface as well.

So I dropped mine in, what a tight fit. In the process, we ripped a motor mount ( sandwich mount ) in half. Headers are not in yet. It's going to be a real tight fit with those.

Left side adapter has been modified and the motor is sitting a treat.

Pipes are almost finished...the drivers side took a while.

D1224052-1AEC-4DE8-AC3D-F1D5F20E7DDC-126-0000000AB8A5B766_zps656c6deb.jpg

17DE6FDF-A6D5-4130-8734-90823312517B-126-0000000AB7BB750D_zpsd18c21e9.jpg

C10C9EE0-D860-41C0-BDA0-532B0770938C-126-0000000AB85DE304_zps83a47405.jpg

703418A1-7F2F-4AB8-8285-E599F558493C-126-0000000AB38B84F2_zps9b3f073a.jpg

Nice handiwork,Rat. These Hemi's ,starting to look really good.

Not my work guys - my workshop guy..

Consider that both sides started off looking mirror image - you can see the work that had to go into the "unfinished" side to clear our steering box.....almost looks like a Max wedge header!

He's a great fabricator - he'll be producing modified versions of the TTI mounts that actually work for us... , long tube headers to suit our cars, a oil filter block off plate and a very nice power steer delete pulley now he has basic measurements to work off.

Nice! You have something really good going,hopefully you can make your money back out of R and D .

-
Back