65 Dart Wagon Conversion to a Sedan Delivery

-
This will be the last update for a couple of weeks as my wife and I are leaving this evening for a 25th anniversary trip to Paris, London, Amsterdam and Oslo.

After I got both fenders off, the plan of attack was to remove the UCA adjusting bolts, remove the torsion bars and drop everything as a unit. Done! I just didn't have time to drag it from under the car - it can wait till I get back! I have to mention the UCA adjusting bolts slid right out of the bushings - I was surprised since usually I have to fight/torch them out.

I will make available any of the parts - 9 inch brake drums/backing plates, spindles, UCAs, LCAs, strut rods and K Frame for little or
2015-06-26-11-55-24-jpg.1714825355
nothing other than pay for shipping.
2015-06-26-11-56-06-jpg.1714825356

2015-06-26-11-55-52-jpg.1714825357

View attachment 2015-06-26 11.55.24.jpg

View attachment 2015-06-26 11.56.06.jpg

View attachment 2015-06-26 11.55.52.jpg

Last edited:
I can't wait to get my slab poured after looking threw this build thread :color: I sure do like the trailer lift on the two sides :glasses7: Great idea :cheers:

I am planing on adding AC to the wagon. so since I have a complete factory set-up including all the passenger compartment components, all the under hood components (except the compressor - I plan on using a Sanden instead of the V twin) and a AC firewall. I was originally going to carefully make a template based on the AC firewall I saved and add the necessary AC holes to the original firewall. There is some big differences on where the insulation fasteners are located between the two as well as trying to cut out for the larger blower motor, so I decided to use the AC firewall so everything under the dash fits like it's supposed to.

Here's the original heat only firewall that I started with:

4pz2xl.jpg

Here's the initial cut I made. Then it was time to start trimming and fitting the replacement firewall in place.

aoqs20.jpg

Fitting the firewall in place:

2r4haw0).jpg

And finally after all the trimming and fitting, tack welded in place.

2re5ytu.jpg

Here's an interesting comparison between to two firewalls where the bulkhead connector goes. The AC opening is higher and horizontal for clearance with the AC part of the system.

2ykchlt.jpg

Since I had the welder out, I also welded some extra holes closed on the driver's inner fender and take care of a repair patch under the battery tray.

5dj4v9.jpg

2edcmc6.jpg

There is another thread posted about the FiTech throttle body fuel injection system. Because I am using a built slant in the wagon, I wondered if this system could work well for me. So I called them this afternoon and spoke with a tech (or maybe even the owner) concerning using this system. As long as a 4 barrel intake is used, it will work as described. My motor will be built up and as I have a Dutra Hyperpack, hmmm, why not?

I just off the phone with FiTech and was told they are about 2 weeks or so out on their basic system as well as the Fuel Command Center. I have gone ahead and ordered both and will be using them on my slant equipped with a Dutra Hyperpack in the wagon as a member over at .org made me an offer I couldn't refuse on my triple SU set-up. In the meantime, I'm still slowly working on the replacement AC firewall as well as reworking my engine compartment harness to add a modular fuse and relay center.

After talking with Ulf, he sent me a list of the the nuts and bolts found in the front suspension and engine compartment and what finish they were. I decided that since I would be installing all new suspension parts and refinishing all the hard parts, there was no sense in using hardware with the wrong finish. So I sent a big bag of nuts/bolts to his refinisher in Ohio. I got them back today all with the correct black phosphate finish. It will be a pleasure to install the parts with the correct nuts and bolts with the correct finish.

2015-09-14-16-50-37-jpg.1714843571

View attachment 2015-09-14 16.50.37.jpg

Last edited:
That looks great Don! Glad I could help you out. Will look great on your wagon.

After talking with Ulf, he sent me a list of the the nuts and bolts found in the front suspension and engine compartment and what finish they were. I decided that since I would be installing all new suspension parts and refinishing all the hard parts, there was no sense in using hardware with the wrong finish. So I sent a big bag of nuts/bolts to his refinisher in Ohio. I got them back today all with the correct black phosphate finish. It will be a pleasure to install the parts with the correct nuts and bolts with the correct finish.

Thanks for the link! My strut rods are already painted black so I'll leave them that way. The large washers and nuts don't look too bad but with the right finish on them would look a lot better. I'm sure Eric will do a great job on the zinc/cad plated stuff.

It's getting LBP 4 wheel disc! 73-76 single piston calipers on the front and Mustang rear discs in the 8.75 in the back.

I just got back a 2nd shipment of front end hardware from Eric Manual - the gentleman Ulf' recommended to finish the nuts and bolt hardware in the right finish. I'm getting ready to send out a shipment for zinc/cad plating.

2v1rimp.jpg

I needed to construct some kind of platform for my modular fuse and relay center since all the wires enter from the bottom. I sourced this set-up from a company in England and is perfect for my electrical needs

2a0nif5.jpg

So I constructed this box that I can secure to the inner fender. I painted it body color.

9jd2ix.jpg

The relay center fits on top through the hole with enough room for the wires to come in from both sides. The relays will be used for the headlights. 2 of the 6 fuses will be used for the headlight relays, 1 fuse for the wiring from the alternator, and the 3 other fuses for the wiring routed directly to the ignition switch (2) and headlight switch (1). I am using a modified Mirada under dash harness with no ammeter since my Dakota Digital instrument cluster is equipped with a voltmeter. I need to purchase other different rated fuses for each application. I will use a custom positive battery harness with an additional wire from the battery terminal connected to the brass battery terminal on the relay center.

2e2ihkh.jpg

And what is will look like with the cover installed. I'll install it about in the middle of the inner fender

9qgw47.jpg

I just got back a 2nd shipment of front end hardware from Eric Manual - the gentleman Ulf' recommended to finish the nuts and bolt hardware in the right finish. I'm getting ready to send out a shipment for zinc/cad plating.

2v1rimp.jpg

I needed to construct some kind of platform for my modular fuse and relay center since all the wires enter from the bottom. I sourced this set-up from a company in England and is perfect for my electrical needs

2a0nif5.jpg

So I constructed this box that I can secure to the inner fender. I painted it body color.

9jd2ix.jpg

The relay center fits on top through the hole with enough room for the wires to come in from both sides. The relays will be used for the headlights. 2 of the 6 fuses will be used for the headlight relays, 1 fuse for the wiring from the alternator, and the 3 other fuses for the wiring routed directly to the ignition switch (2) and headlight switch (1). I am using a modified Mirada under dash harness with no ammeter since my Dakota Digital instrument cluster is equipped with a voltmeter. I need to purchase other different rated fuses for each application. I will use a custom positive battery harness with an additional wire from the battery terminal connected to the brass battery terminal on the relay center.

2e2ihkh.jpg

And what is will look like with the cover installed. I'll install it about in the middle of the inner fender

9qgw47.jpg

Don! I must admit that you have great skills working out new electrical solutions. Looking forward to see all great ideas into one sweet Dart!

Re Erics work, it's awesome! I'm working on the next package too!!!!

Don! I forgot to tell you that the package took off yesterday. I need to make another package for you. But in the first package is something the will give your car luster every once in a while!!

Don! I forgot to tell you that the package took off yesterday. I need to make another package for you. But in the first package is something the will give your car luster every once in a while!!

Hmmm, a surprise! A 2nd package - what could it be? And your NOS camshift/lifter package and motor mounts from me will go out tomorrow in Anders' package. :cheers:

Hello!

I feel stupid for not looking up your thread sooner, Don. But here I am! :D

Those bolts look fantastic with their new plating!

Welcome to my slow moving thread on my wagon!

subscribed to this ......hello, fellow wagon lover. I am also working on a wagon and my build thread is here on fabo .....surprisingly they haven't kicked me out of fabo because my wagon is a B-body. lol

but I will be watching this one.....65 dart had a very attractive grille design.

Good to be here!

I see USPS picked the package up. :thumblef:

Yep! You'll also get updates just like on the other package!

subscribed to this ......hello, fellow wagon lover. I am also working on a wagon and my build thread is here on fabo .....surprisingly they haven't kicked me out of fabo because my wagon is a B-body. lol

but I will be watching this one.....65 dart had a very attractive grille design.

Hey it 's a Mopar! I once had a 66 Belvedere wagon and added a complete 66 Charger interior into it! Needless to say, it fit like it belonged there! My wagon is getting a 66 Barracuda interior and needless to say the rear fold down seat fit like it grew there!

Last edited:
Got my 4th shipment of refinished fasteners and other stuff back from Eric. Many thanks to Ulf for letting me know about Eric's work! Getting all the fasteners refinish in either black phosphate or the zinc/cad finish will make it a breeze when it's time to assemble the car.

034-jpg.1714854324

View attachment 034.jpg

Last edited:
I bought the triple Weber manifold off of Australian eBay. There's no markings on it so I have no idea who made it (definitely not a Clifford lol!). The Webers are a matched set of Italian DCOE 45's. I'm going to try the triple SU set up first. I got the manifold from SlantSixDan and then sent it to Leanna so she could work her magic. SSDan turned me on to a SU guru in Canada so I ended up sending him 4 or 5 HIF6's of which he picked out the best 3, rebuilt them with all matching internals and set them up to use with a big six - similar to a Jag six. He said they should run quite well right out of the box with little or no tuning. We'll get to that point eventually!

Very neat!!

Got my 4th shipment of refinished fasteners and other stuff back from Eric. Many thanks to Ulf for letting me know about Eric's work! Getting all the fasteners refinish in either black phosphate or the zinc/cad finish will make it a breeze when it's time to assemble the car.

that should make you feel like your on the Chrysler assembly with a supply of new looking clean hardware coming out of the bin and onto the car. :D

Attachments

• Charger_Body_drop_two.jpg
    91.7 KB · Views: 349
-
Back