My 67 Formula S Resto. thread

-
I have not touched the car since March.I do have a few things that I can do over winter that will not cost me much to do.I just need to get motivated again.It will be 3 years into this next April and I have not got very far on this project.I was going to go with black if I ever get to the painting stage but I changed my mind on the color.
I wanted to paint the whole car before I drop the engine in.But I have been thinking about painting the engine bay and dropping in the engine first.Doing the engine bay and engine may help me really get moving on this project again.I just wish I had about 10K laying around that would motivate me,,,,LOL

Jim,
That is great news that you are going to continue on with this project, watching you work has been an inspiration to me. I have about three years into mine as well and Ive hit a plateau that I cant seem to get over. Im with you, having 10 grand would motivate me too. lol

Jim! Keep up with the great work you have put in your car! I t will turn out great when it's done.

And we also like pictures.......

jim,

i have just spent at least twenty minutes looking at your resto thread and i am just amazed! i finished my 68 340 4sp fastback s this past summer having spent a year and about 2500 hrs on the project. i did a panel area at a time and finally painted the car with acrylic lacquer. the car is a duplicate of the turbine bronze fastback that appeared on the cover of the 1968 "new cars" literature. i've got around 45 yrs of car rebuilding experience and owned a body shop for three years at one point. however, i must say, i have NEVER seen any car restored to the detail and quality that you have put into your car! i am speechless. i "loafed" at a plymouth dealer in high school (69-72) and use to watch "new" plymouths coming off the transport trucks. new plymouths DID NOT come from the factory as detailed as what you have done with your car! it was not uncommon for the new cars to be run into the body shop at the dealership to be "touched up" before they hit the showroom. and as to paint/sealer being applied correctly to "hidden" areas - forget it!!! most buyers "back then" had their cars "undercoated" at ziebart or "steel shield" because everyone knew there was no paint under the car and around hidden areas. i laughed at one guy's comment on your thread when he said you were building this car like you were going to keep it for life - he was right!! the only thing i can say is that i HOPE you finish this car and then try to find a museum or private collector somewhere to keep this car. in my opinion, your car should never be driven further than off a trailer at a car show and never in bad weather. with what you have done to this car, this car needs to be preserved as an example of what a 1967 barracuda would have looked like if it had been built by rolls royce. i would take a number of pictures of various parts of this car and create a display and then put this car and the display pics together as a permanent display somewhere. i just cannot believe how much work and detail you have put into this project. my admiration and respect is offered for what you have accomplished.

jim coster, pittsburgh, pa

Thanks Jim ...This is my first real attempt at major body work.It seem to come natural to me.Maybe because my Grandfather was a bodyman and my Uncle is a bodyman.I am pretty much self taught and I think it just takes patients and some thinking before you do things.It also helps too that I am really picky.I do find myself making things just right on areas you will never see once the car is done....LOL
I am just so discouraged right now because there are no funds right now.I could sell my Duster and put the money into the Barracuda.But the Barracuda still would not be done and the Duster is a very clean driver that I can toy with and drive now.
I have most of the stuff to drop my V8 into my Duster.But I may go ahead and paint the engine bay of the Barracuda and drop the engine in.This may motivate me for a while.I did want to paint it black but it's just to hard to keep clean.So I am kicking around,turbine bronze,autumn bronze,burnt orange.
I will keep everyone up to date....

What Jim Coster said above. This is an example of world class over the top workmanship. I hope you keep the car and finish it. No one else will do as good a job as you are doing...

Lost my job of 19 years and was unable to finish it. Sold it to a FABO member then he sold it to another member I believe. Now I have a 71 Swinger project car.

If I can talk Mike into a deal, Any chance you'd be interested in putting the rear quarters on for me?
Are you still living somewhere between his place and N.Dakota?

I know, crazy idea right? But I saw your work.......

If I can talk Mike into a deal, Any chance you'd be interested in putting the rear quarters on for me?
Are you still living somewhere between his place and N.Dakota?

I know, crazy idea right? But I saw your work.......
Yes I would be intetrsted. I am near Peoria,IL

-
Back