My A-833 Is stuck in Overdrive. Need advice/help ASAP, please!

-

MobileCustoms

Reaction score
So, this is for the tranny in my '78 Dodge Street van. I came off the freeway this morning and went to downshift from 4th gear/overdrive into 2nd. It would not come out of 4th so i got it to the side of the road and after no luck getting it freed up I called a tow truck and had it brought to my friend's place just down the street from me. My driveway was full at the time.

I have done a little searching around it sounds like it might be something I can access & fix by just removing the side cover but I have no experience with the A-833 at all, or the proper terms to use to help me search for the right answers. I really need to get it driveable again asap so any help would be greatly appreciated! The more details the better.
Thanks!
IMG_20170424_081835629_HDR.jpg

It should have an interlock inside the cover but I have seen people change old cover to new style, basically swap to get the new cover and someone gets and old cover, so it could be jammed.

That may be the culprit... I am going back over there this afternoon to crawl under and have a look-see. I figure I will disconnect the shift linkage and see if i can get it out of gear with the levers underneath, for starters.

Good place to start (linkages) in addition to the shifter. I had a similar situation where i had put a shifter rod on wrong and it would only go in or out of one gear. Maybe one of the rods on yous came off.

This is a 2-owner van, so I kind of doubt there was too much monkeying around and swapping of any parts over the years. I have my fingers crossed that it's just the shifter/linkage!

Got the van up on a lift and found the nut on the 3-4 shift lever had loosened up a bit and caused things to bind up.
-easy fix for once! Gotta love it when that happens.
Thanks for the input

It never occured to me that you could get a van with a 4 speed. Is it a column or floor shift ?
How about some pics of the inside ?

It never occured to me that you could get a van with a 4 speed. Is it a column or floor shift ?
How about some pics of the inside ?
It's a floor shift. Not pretty inside right now but working on it like a MAD MAN to be ready for Mopars In The park here in Minnesota. It will be looking very different in the next 5 weeks, with a little luck!

That's awesome ... I do now remember seeing the "backwards " shifters in vans.
Not a MN is it ? Theres not enough rust under the hood...lol

-
Back