My Duster Adventures

-
Tonight I scuffed and shot some paint on the fan, LCA's and one UCA (gotta get a balljoint socket to get the other balljoint out)

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Last edited:
Got the k-member and strut rods painted today.
Also boogered up the paint on the one LCA trying to get the outter shell of the bushing out. Said "screw it" and bought a 1 3/8" tap on eBay for $18 shipped so soon as that comes I'll press out the other LCA outter bushing. Also bought a used snap-on ball joint socket on eBay for $18 shipped so when that gets here I'll get the UCAs rebuilt!!

Anyway, here's pics of today's progress!

image.jpg

image.jpg

Last edited:
Well, she's gettin closer. Got the k-member, lower control arms, center link, steering box and headers put on and put oil in it. Gotta get the spindles, caliper brackets and upper control arms blasted, painted, rebuilt and installed yet then I can finish the steering/suspension part of it.
I ordered a oil pump priming tool (probably wouldn't NEED to prime the pump since the engine wasn't rebuilt but figured it as a precaution), piston stop and a bunch of parts the last few days so as soon as I get some of those and get the engine primed and get the balancer checked and the distributor set I'll put everything on a cart, install the flywheel, bellhousing and trans then it'll be ready to put in!! Then I gotta get a custom upper and lower transmission crossmembers made to fit the 5 speed.

image.jpg

Last edited:
Also got the clutch master cylinder mocked up. Gonna put it through the hole where the clutch linkage originally went through, I didn't just wanna bolt it to the firewall so I got this bracket made out of 11 gauge aluminum that will go between the inside of the firewall and the steering column bracket that bolts to the floor and the master cylinder will bolt to the aluminum plate. I'm also gonna get a wedge shaped plate made for the outside of the firewall to angle the master a little more to line the pushrod/master up a little more. I'll post pics of the master setup once it's all installed. That's about it for now.

View attachment image.jpg

image.jpg

Last edited:
Got some more done yesterday... Got the engine primed, put a distributor in (either gonna use the one I put in and Trailbeast's HEI kit or the "ready to run" distributor from ebay) and put a few remaining fittings/plugs in the intake. Still need to run the brake line from the distribution block to the rearend then I THINK I'll be ready to put the engine/trans/k member on a cart and I'll roll it under the car!!

There's still gonna be odds and ends to buy but I'd made a list a few months ago of parts I need to buy to car running and the only think left on the "to buy" list is tires!! The "parts to install" list is a little longer tho... Lol

The dash lights haven't worked since I got the car so last night I took an extra cluster I had, painted the inside of the bezel "chrome" cleaned up all the contact points on the board, installed new bulbs and sockets (shoulda gotten LEDs right away) and a few months ago I'd read where someone (I think Del) said something about adding short pieces of wire between the ground screws so I did that as well as added a wire to ground the bezel to the dash frame since the lack of ground was the reason the lights weren't coming on.

image.jpg

Last edited:
Well, we've had a few up and down days the past few day with the Duster build....

First, I got the engine and K-member taken off the engine stand and put on a cart to roll under the car and noticed I was missing a 1.25" freeze plug in the back of the block.

Second, once I hunted down a freeze plug and put it in, I put the flywheel on that I bought last spring, it's from a ram with a 5.9 and 5 speed. Well when I went to put the clutch on it was WAY too small so I compared the flywheel with the one I got with the dakota transmission (which I thought was an AX15) and the dakota flywheel was a 130t and the ram one is 143t. So then I find out I don't have an AX15 but rather a NP2500 which came in the 87-91 Dakotas.

So after searching and searching I finally found a 130t flywheel that would work behind a 5.9 magnum... But it was $285! I then decided it's stupid to spend $285 on a flywheel just so I can run a transmission that's weaker than an AX15 if I can buy an AX15 for less and use my ram flywheel!!

So on Craigslist I go, looking for a transmission... I found one for $150 but it was posted 25 days ago and the seller hadn't put a phone number or email address in the ad so there was no way to contact him... But then I found a title less, 1998, 2x4, v6, 5 speed Dakota with a knock on Craigslist for $500. Went up last night and bought it, got half way home and the engine blows!! Lol! Oh well, the price was right and all I need is from the clutch to the driveshaft, the rest will be parted. Leaving soon with a truck and trailer to go pick it up!

Got the truck home that night, started pulling parts but wasn't getting much interest and with moving and gettin chickens April 4-5 I really don't have time to work on the truck so I sold the whole thing to a guy for $300 (he wants the rolling frame to put under a studabaker) and as soon as he gets the cab off I'll be going to get the trans and other parts I need.

I no longer need to buy tires either since I took the 17" Bullitts off my wife's 04 mustang b4 we traded it in on the 2016 Chrysler 200. I did buy 5x4 to 5x4.5 adapters for the rear and the front will have BBP so they'll bolt on and the tires are all good.

Haven't made a lick of progress on the car itself since the last post other than I got my spindles, calipers and caliper brackets blasted and rebuilt the calipers, just need to paint it all. Also still need to run my hard brake lines, saving up to get a good professional grade flaring tool.

Well looky here! I was laying in bed when I wrote that last "no progress" post and it motivates me to get my *** out in the shop and I got my spindles, caliper brackets and calipers painted!!

image.jpg

image.jpg

Last edited:
So today was a HUGE day!! For me anyway... I had a notion to go get new bolts to swap out the weak, factory, intake bolts (that I had WAY over torqued) so I got those, swapped em out, got 3" grade 8 bolts and nuts to bolt my LBJ's to the spindles.

I then decided to put a rotor and caliper on the spindle and put one of the Bullitt wheels on to see how it looked... It looked awesome so I decided to set the whole assembly "in place" in the front wheel well to see what it'll look like... WIN!!!

image.jpg

Last edited:
Well that really got my juices flowing so I ran over to dads, got my 1" spacers/5x4 to 5x4.5 adapters for the rear and his floor jack and I put the rear wheels on! Let me tell you, I am STOKED about how this car looks/is gonna look!!! I'm so crazy in love with this car and I can't wait to get back and work on it more and get it on the road!!

image.jpg

I sent Kegan a few pics of it and he said "Can we just clear the car?!" and I also sent pics to my brothers and my oldest Bro John said "What is the body like on the other side? If it looks like that, and you have a hood to match, you're crazy to paint it. Clear it and be done. I would rechrome the bumpers, polish out the hardware and ad some custom, hand painted pinstripes and clear it."

So, my goal now is to get the car running/driving good, repair any rust that can't be seen from outside the car (trunk pan, trunk extensions, etc.) and leave the rest and possibly shoot some satin clear on it.

The car officially has a name now... The Ruster!!

I also got a few small brackets painted and got the rear soft brake line installed and hooked up to the rear axle hardlines so now I just gotta run a new brake line from the distribution block to the rear soft line and install the MC.

Hoping to have the back half of the car (shocks, gas tank) done within the next week and if I can find someone with a good double flare tool that I can use, hopefully I can have the brakes done in a few weeks... If I can't find one I'll have to shell out the $215 for one, but then I'll have it. I also need to take my rotors to a machine shop and have them turn the hub down to fit in the mustang wheels.

Hopefully more progress to come sooner than last time!!

Last edited:
Rear shot

I did install the drivers side, rear exhaust hanger today as well but since the exhaust isn't bolted to anything up front, it's hanging all crooked... The passenger side exhaust hanger is another thing I need to do next time I'm at the shop.

image.jpg

Last edited:
Car is looking sweet! Can't wait to see this one on the road!
You and me both!!! I did get the UCA bushings pressed out and offset bushings pressed back in yesterday. Hopefully next week sometime I'll be able to get the arms scuffed and painted then put them on the car and install the upper balljoints.

The guy I sold my Dakota to text me saturday and said he's got the engine and trans out and ready to pick up so I plan to go get that Tuesday. Before I install the engine and trans I plan on getting the front suspension and brake system put together well enough to roll the car out of the shop and wash it out real good and clean/organize my shop while the cars out. Then I'll roll the car back in, drop the k-member, bolt up the engine and trans and put the mess all back in.

So I've been getting something's done this week on the car.

I got the brake system complete, filled and bled and got the car sitting on its own for the first time since April 7, 2015!!

Hopefully Monday I'll roll the car outside and power wash it, inside and out and clean up the shop. Then roll the car back in for the engine trans install. Sure would be nice if I had a buddy within 4 hrs to come help me drop the K and install the engine and trans Tuesday. :poke:

Oops... Guess I should've added pics.

Theres only a bench seat and a 92 firebird rear seat and dash and column in the interior, and the gas tank is sitting in the trunk but there's no gas in it so once I get more interior stuff (sound deadening, carpet, etc) and a full tank of gas in it the back should drop down a little more.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Last edited:
Well, I got her rolled out today and got it down on a concrete pad I have beside a hydrant so hopefully tmrw or Friday I'll get back down there and wash it out real good and get my shop clean out and organized finally! I had it all cleaned up at one point but it's a royal mess now!!

The farther along this car comes the more I love how it's turning out! Every time I walked out of sight of it today and then walked back within sight of it I’d get a big smile on my face!! I think it looks badass and I'm PSYCHED!!!

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Last edited:
On another note. I sold my 71 Duster shell last Friday so I took some of that money and ordered a 3 core 26" champion radiator that was on sale on eBay for $163 shipped. I also ordered a clutch kit for the ax15 last night so those should both be here in the next couple days.

Well, I set a goal for myself. The next local cruise in is August 13 and since we'll be at the nats that weekend, I won't be able to go. The next and final cruise in of the year is September 17. So the goal is to have the car running/driving in time to make it to the final cruise in of the year!!

It'd have a really good chance of being done by then if I'd quit buying the wrong damn parts!! Bout a clutch kit for a 98 Dakota that included the throw out bearing and small inner part of the pilot bearing. Well I couldn't get the pilot bearing to go in so I ordered another one just like it then realized I needed one with the bigger metal sleeve/bushing around it so I ordered one of those. When the right bearing finally came I popped it in and went to bolt on the clutch and it's the wrong damn clutch!!! Turns out the 98 still uses 10.5" clutch and the flywheel I have used the 11" clutch. So now I ordered the proper clutch.

I got a bunch of trash out of the shop and organized a little bit, not like it should be but it's definitely better. I haven't rolled the car back in yet so I might clean up the shop some more b4 I roll the car back in and start the engine/trans install.

Last edited:
-
Back