Narrowed dana 60 Measurements

-

wedgehead

Reaction score
I got a 68 Dart , Springs are moved in and its mini tubbed. My question is ?
I found a narrowed dana that is 46 inches wide drum to drum that came out of a Camaro. Will this work and how much backspacing will i need on a 15 x 10 wheel .

Also if I decide to convert to Disc , will that change the Backspacing needed.

Discs seem to add about a 1/2" to each side. Do the measuring yourself. Outside dimension of the springs. width of rear, and how much overhang for back-space. Don't forget about insides of tubs.

Just a reminder.....backspacing needs to be determined with the tire mounted on the rim.

yeah i know , I was just wondering if someone else was running a 15x10 with 3 1/2 BS ,what their rear end measured

yeah i know , I was just wondering if someone else was running a 15x10 with 3 1/2 BS ,what their rear end measured

Our 71 Dart has a 45 inch axle flange to axle flange Dana 60 in it. We are using 15 x 10 with 3 1/2 inch back spacing. The car has ladder bars on it and is tubbed. Also using disc brakes.

870FA2D2-9CE2-47DF-BA42-07AE2135B099.jpeg
AF467CC2-99E0-4D77-88D3-7127781559B2.jpeg
I got one for sale Dana 60 44 inches

46" seems pretty narrow to me unless you are back halved. i just built a narrowed 8 3/4 for my mini tubbed A and ended up at about 50.5" total width. 4.5" backspace on my 15x10s.

I measured the leaf springs outside to outside, 39 inches.

So is there consensus on the measurement flange to flange for a 2 inch mini tubs 68 Dart? Assume a 12-14 slick will be on a 12 rim. Or is narrowing even necessary if springs relocated to frame and a regular width b body Dana is used?

I measured the leaf springs outside to outside, 39 inches.

46 "(your drum to drum measurement) minus 39" (your leaf spring outside to outside measurement) equals......7" total, or 3-1/2" per side.....subtract 3/4" per side for clearance. You total backspacing with tire on rim should not exceed 2-3/4".....unless you add spacers that effectively widen the total measurement to compansate. In your case for the 3-1/2 BS, you need 3/4". I do not like to use spacers, especially over 1/4", but your opinion may differ.

Gotta know your goesintas.

Last edited:
46 "(your drum to drum measurement) minus 39" (your leaf spring outside to outside measurement) equals......7" total, or 3-1/2" per side.....subtract 3/4" per side for clearance. You total backspacing with tire on rim should not exceed 2-3/4".....unless you add spacers that effectively widen the total measurenment to compansate. In your case for the 3-1/2 BS, you need 3/4". I do not like to use spacers, especially over 1/4", but your opinion may differ.

Gotta know your goesintas.
Thanks, come to find out the tubes in this Dana are the same length from the pinion center line so Its not going to work. Have to sell this one and grab another.

-
Back