need leaf spring bushing removal advice

-

Valiant63

Early A-body Valiants
Reaction score
So, if the title didn't already explained it to you, I need help removing my fifty year old leaf spring bushings from the leaf springs at home without a hydraulic press. Before I interject my ideas I am open to listening to ideas from others. Thank you in advance.

Maybe.....Threaded rod, washers, nuts, some tubing can give you ideas?

Don't have a torch here, and I don't have any tubing that would fit inside the diameter of the whole were the bushing is to help facilitated through.
Are they normally this tough to get out?

I sprayed my 50 year old ones with nut buster penetrating product. Let set overnight. Next morning I resprayed and was able to get them out using a hammer. Good luck getting yours out

I've know guys drill lots of hole thru the bushing and take them out in chunks.

Thank you Tadams. Unfortunately, I have tried that already with PB Blaster and they are all still stuck. I'm thinking about taking the drill bit in drilling out the bushing with as many times as it takes to get enough of the bushing out of there that I can cut it out with a knife.

I used the threaded rod and washer method when rebuilding the front suspension. I'm sure someone can advise you how to make a tool for one

So, if the title didn't already explained it to you, I need help removing my fifty year old leaf spring bushings from the leaf springs at home without a hydraulic press. Before I interject my ideas I am open to listening to ideas from others. Thank you in advance.
I made my own press out of a carriage bolt, pipe nipple and washers. It worked perfectly when I restored my a-arms, and I'll use again for the springs.
Stroker

Burning the rubber out smokes and stinks! A few holes drilled through will pass air, speed up the process with a fire of some sort. Light up a hand full of charcoal. Too MacGyver? LOL

A course hacksaw blade. Pass it thru the bushing then attach hacksaw. Cut 4 times aprox. 90deg. apart. Then tap out each section or all in one. Good luck.

since I live in a gated community and am working in my driveway, I think I will keep the burning idea on hold and work at drilling it out and loosing it it up with a knife and chisel.

Reciprocating saw with metal cutting blade or hacksaw to cut through bushing and rubber, possibly a couple of times. Should make removal easier. . Or drill numerous holes through rubber portion.
Yote

Here's a solution I used that wasn't mentioned yet.
I used a thin tapered chisel between the flat of the spring and where the eye end comes together and they fell out.
Did basically the same thing putting the new ones in.

Here's a solution I used that wasn't mentioned yet.
I used a thin tapered chisel between the flat of the spring and where the eye end comes together and they fell out.
Did basically the same thing putting the new ones in.

This method works amazingly well. Installing is also a breeze once you have a couple of small chisels holding the "eye" open!!

treblig

d8ccb336-0f86-4e67-a561-b144a0256bac_1000.jpg

13$ at home depot....
Burn them out....

heat the spring eye hole and push them out.... very little smoke.
trying to pound them out is like trying to jump a hole through a trampoline !

-
Back