New member formula S 1966

-

Capt46

Reaction score
Hope to find some great assistance from the mopar mentalists.
Just purchased a 1966 barracuda formula S 4 speed, factory A/C, heat, disc brakes, citron gold black interior
Has everything original even the spark wires. Carter carb 4 Barrel has the original 14 inch hubcaps just over 100,000 miles off the road since 1980 not one dent but car sat for a few years in the Arizona sun and paint is deeply faded interior need replacement dry rotted and some mice got to the headliner. It was moved to a barn in Pennsylvania in 1985 and has sat there since.
I have to complete a full restoration. Will be delivered Sunday Jan 29,2016.

IMG_0215.JPG
IMG_0230.JPG
Some pictures

Very, very cool car and Formula S, 4 spd., discs, w/factory A/C makes it a rare bird indeed. I'm a big fan of the first generation Barracudas and Chargers. I have a 65 Formula S 4spd. factory A/C car and a 67 Charger 383 4bbl. 4 spd. factory A/C car. Both cars are factory buffed silver exterior.
Curious to know if your car has the fast ratio manual steering and whether the rear end is 7 1/4" or 8 3/4"? Suregrip?
Good luck and please keep us up to date with lots of picts.

Welcome, this is the friendliest and foremost site for a-body knowledge. That's a real special one you have there. Thank you for saving it. Wait till you see how nice it drives.

IMG_0214.JPG

Thank you for the welcome!
Yes I am pretty sure (quick steering MANUAL)
Have to check the rear I know it's a sure grip?

Welcome!
You will find some expert advise here.
That is one Super cool car!
Check to see if the spare still has the original Goodyear "redline " tire.

Very, very cool car and Formula S, 4 spd., discs, w/factory A/C makes it a rare bird indeed. I'm a big fan of the first generation Barracudas and Chargers. I have a 65 Formula S 4spd. factory A/C car and a 67 Charger 383 4bbl. 4 spd. factory A/C car. Both cars are factory buffed silver exterior.
Curious to know if your car has the fast ratio manual steering and whether the rear end is 7 1/4" or 8 3/4"? Suregrip?
Come Sunday I will take lots of pictures that's it's delivery date. How rare?

There were 3,702 Formula S Barracudas made in '66 out of 38,000 total Barracudas.
I have not seen a breakdown of any specifics like auto vs four speed manual but I would think around half to be 4 speeds if that. And the AC is not too common in compact cars of this period.

Welcome from North Carolina. I am restoring a 65 formula S. Looks like you have a great car to work with. Plenty of knowledgeable people here so feel free to ask questions.

The production numbers I have found online for 1966 show
5316 total formula S
2970 4 speed
2346 automatic.
Didn't find any number about the air condition cars.
This is my 65 currently

WP_20160308_15_41_35_Pro.jpg

First project, or First MoPar project?
I spent a lot of time looking around this site, & gained a lot of insights just looking. Ask questions as needed, usually answers and opinions pop up pretty quickly. also, go to the related forum within the site and do a search, lotsa info here already.
Usually, if I'm trying to figure something out and I just google it, (A-body specific or not) there is usually multiple answers that link right back here. Many smart cookies here.
Mine is my first project, and this has helped me do **** I never dreamed I could handle.
Of course, I haven't driven it yet, soooo.......

Mine is automatic. Good luck on retirement. I retired last February and worked hard getting mine stripped and ready for new paint. It was gold on gold. I've completed a lot of work on the car. Somehow though life got in the way so my project stalled for a few months. I have continued to find the parts I needed and once warm weather returns I'll get back to work. I had purchased the paint for the car last year and it is waiting for me.

2015_11_14_18_26_44.jpg

I hope I can get it up and running within a week just to hear the engine, if it's possible I will take video.

Love to see them driving my kids would say what is that car pop? They knew all the others mustang,camaro,corvette,70 mopars

7 1/4 sure grip

Oh, just wait till someone walks up and starts telling you they had a Nova just like that when they were young, or course, does it have a Hemi. After a simple explanation of my car is just as it was when it left the showroom and the largest engine was a 273 Commando. That is always followed by my dad, friend, ECT, had one with a Hemi.

I think 7 1/4 was standard for those models. Most I have seen have that set up. Some one will correct me if I am wrong.

-
Back