New shop maybe?

-

Evan Dutch

Reaction score
Hello all,

Being out of town for work during the week I find that I only have time to work on my cars during the weekend if the weather allows it. This got me thinking that a garage wouldn't be such a bad idea, I've been working out of harbor freight car tents. Having never had a garage I started looking into the pre-fab metal buildings. They've got a long list of pros. I haven't seen many cons. Anyone had any experience with these, also who is the recommended company to purchase one through?. I'm located in North Carolina, looking for a building maybe 24x26x9. It'll be on a 4-6in concrete slab.

Thanks.

Carolina Carports.... You are making a mistake though unless code prevents it and that is height. Go 12' and when the times comes to install a lift (go flip burger part time at McDonald's if needed to pay for it lol) the hard work will be done. I recently started installing 2" Styrofoam on the walls and every piece helps with temp control and noise. They are not necessarily the nicest looking building but otherwise it is hard to beat. No contractor drama, easy to order, and put up real quick like (mine was within 6 weeks from ordering and they assembled it in a day.)

Ask away with other questions if needed and good luck....

JW

Carolina Carports.... You are making a mistake though unless code prevents it and that is height. Go 12' and when the times comes to install a lift (go flip burger part time at McDonald's if needed to pay for it lol) the hard work will be done. I recently started installing 2" Styrofoam on the walls and every piece helps with temp control and noise. They are not necessarily the nicest looking building but otherwise it is hard to beat. No contractor drama, easy to order, and put up real quick like (mine was within 6 weeks from ordering and they assembled it in a day.)

Ask away with other questions if needed and good luck....

JW
Any pictures haha? No the height was just an idea. How thick does the concrete need to be for a lift?. I've already done the flipping burger thing when I was younger haha. Ideally I'd eventually like to insulate it, wood stove for heat, window unit for AC, power and water eventually.

Any pictures haha? No the height was just an idea. How thick does the concrete need to be for a lift?. I've already done the flipping burger thing when I was younger haha. Ideally I'd eventually like to insulate it, wood stove for heat, window unit for AC, power and water eventually.

I will post this evening.... As for the concrete, make a future plan for the lift and when you pour block out 12"X12" on the floor and double the depth in that area atleast (8" in those areas.) This would be for a 2 post however something else may be of interest to you. It may seem like overkill, but make it one and done I say.

Also, one of the pictures I post will give you an idea of what happens when you don't upgrade on the structure......

JW

I will post this evening.... As for the concrete, make a future plan for the lift and when you pour block out 12"X12" on the floor and double the depth in that area atleast (8" in those areas.) This would be for a 2 post however something else may be of interest to you. It may seem like overkill, but make it one and done I say.

Also, one of the pictures I post will give you an idea of what happens when you don't upgrade on the structure......

JW
Ok. The pictures will be in this thread correct? Also do you suggest I add the increased thickness concrete in the center? I plan on having a two door garage.

Ok. The pictures will be in this thread correct? Also do you suggest I add the increased thickness concrete in the center? I plan on having a two door garage.

Here ya go..... Look at the bracing in the roof area. Well the blue building was a standard gauge metal and engineered structure and you see the result. We had an extremely dense snowstorm and it folded the roof up no problem. My advice is if you can't afford the better material eat cheese sandwiches until you have saved enough money to upgrade. As for the doors, that is a personal preference. I personally prefer 1 big door as apposed to 2 doors but that is just me. As I said, go look at the structures. Carolina Carports should be in your area so look em' up and see what you think....

JW

Image31863423.jpg

Image814450377.jpg

IMG_20160124_155322_362.jpg

Unless the doors are 10 feet wide go for single big door. I built 3rd car garage with 8 foot door and 2010 Challenger has 2" on each side pulling in.

Build your shop as big as you can reasonably afford ( space permitting) . I don't believe you would ever regret it.
Yote

Here ya go..... Look at the bracing in the roof area. Well the blue building was a standard gauge metal and engineered structure and you see the result. We had an extremely dense snowstorm and it folded the roof up no problem. My advice is if you can't afford the better material eat cheese sandwiches until you have saved enough money to upgrade. As for the doors, that is a personal preference. I personally prefer 1 big door as apposed to 2 doors but that is just me. As I said, go look at the structures. Carolina Carports should be in your area so look em' up and see what you think....

JW

View attachment 1715058473

View attachment 1715058474

View attachment 1715058475
Ouch, I see what you mean by going with the thicker gauge material. I priced some garages on Carolina carports and they seem reasonably priced a little high in my opinion. I went onto Allen's carports and for the same material building size etc. it was reasonably cheaper.

I've read that some of the people that have these metal garages have a lot of condensation issues with them. Anyone experienced that?

Yes to the condensation with gravel floor enclosed fully. Not sure on concrete slab though. They get the moisture from the soil underneath. I just looked a A Newmart building here in NC. I can start with an open carport and create a rear enclosed storage area. I have to deal with codes and easements that restrict my height. Going with 8 foot and improved bracing.

Also, how does one go about hanging stuff on walls like shelves, hanging lights, or running electrical outlets in a building like this since it is metal? Put wood over the metal and insulate in between?

The place up in Tramway where I went to look at the buildings had the lights suspended by metal chain. I didn't see how the did outlets, but the had an entire walk in freezer in an enclosed portion of the building.

I have a pole barn here which is essentially the same, I used oxb on the walls with insulation, outlets every 8' about 4' up and one thing I recommend is to get the translucent panels up by the roof to let natural light in really helps, wish I did it and also water but that is a whole different animal. Yes do the min 8" area of the slab just in case you do add a lift in the future.

I have a pole barn here which is essentially the same, I used oxb on the walls with insulation, outlets every 8' about 4' up and one thing I recommend is to get the translucent panels up by the roof to let natural light in really helps, wish I did it and also water but that is a whole different animal. Yes do the min 8" area of the slab just in case you do add a lift in the future.
I wonder if the supplier will do the skylight.

I do not know if it would be a sky light, translucent panels on the upper sides of the structure just under the eves, really wish I did that.

Also id like to install a chain hoist system. That way I can lift heavy things inside the shop. I am unsure if the structure of such a building could withstand this. Has anyone done this?

Also id like to install a chain hoist system. That way I can lift heavy things inside the shop. I am unsure if the structure of such a building could withstand this. Has anyone done this?

Not for a building type we are discussing. It you are thinking of a gantry type system you are going in a completely different direction.... You could do a stand alone separate from the building structure.

JW

I've been riding around and stopping to talk to people who have metal buildings such as these. So far the company to stay away from is capitol buildings. I've got quotes from eagle buildings, better built, elephant structures, and Carolina metal car ports. They are all fairly consistent in price. I've also heard of Morton buildings, and I've heard good things about them. Do any of these companies sound familiar?

Morton has been around for many years. Other than that I don't know about any of them other than mine which is a York ,all steel on a two foot stem wall.
Yote

-
Back