no oil to rh rockers

-

vj318

Reaction score
just did a rering job on a 318 that I got from a wrecking yard it didnt have too many miles on a previous rebuld, so I just put new rod and main bearings in and new rings. put the engine together and installed it in the car. Spun the oil pump to check the pressure. the pressure is great and plenty of oil comming thru left bank rockers but could not get any oil to the right bank. removed rockers and still no oil. ive never had this happen before. can anyone tell me why I have no oil to the r-hand head, before I pull the engine out.

thankyou for the help. I thought that might be the case so i moved the crank to different positions and retested with no change. when yiou replied to my post I tried it again having my son turn the crank while I turned the oil pump and this time it worked. thanks for the help.:cheers:

Sure the rocker shafts are pointed the right way.The rocker shaft feed holes have to line up with the pedestal feed hole. Maybe your shafts on backwards.

I just started up my engine tonight it sounded great but i didn´t get any oil to the RH rockers. took the bolts out were the oil should come on both sides and ran the engine on the starter. on the LH hole there came lots of oil. but absolutly nothing on the RH side. HELP!!!

Isn't there something about the cam bearings that needs to be properly installed for oil to flow?

Isn't there something about the cam bearings that needs to be properly installed for oil to flow?

Yes the holes in the bearings must line up with the holes in the block. But a machine shop put the cambearings in, so i sure hope they installed them correct.

Are you sure you got the rocker shafts installed right?

I just started up my engine tonight it sounded great but i didn´t get any oil to the RH rockers. took the bolts out were the oil should come on both sides and ran the engine on the starter. on the LH hole there came lots of oil. but absolutly nothing on the RH side. HELP!!!

I've noticed that ARP head studs restrict oil flow when used on Edelbrock heads. A typical head bolt has a thinner shank (as compared to a stud that doesnt tapper) allowing oil to flow around the head bolt, thru Edelbrocks oil galleys.

What heads, head fasteners and head gaskets are you using?

i have taken of the rocker shafts. and ran the engine on the starter. when i do this it should pump oil out of the hole but it doesn´t come any oil at all.

I've seen all kinda crap stop the oil hole up in the head that machine shops missed. you might try running some mechanic's wire down the oil hole and then spinning the engine over. Might shoot out something. Other than that.....well.....disassembly.

I've seen all kinda crap stop the oil hole up in the head that machine shops missed. you might try running some mechanic's wire down the oil hole and then spinning the engine over. Might shoot out something. Other than that.....well.....disassembly.

i have runned a wire down the hole all the way in to the cam. so nothing seems to be stuck in the hole. i don´t want it but i think the machineshop installed the bearings wrong.

X2 on the wire. See if it goes past the head gasket, It should easily go in about 8inches! LOL

What about your head gasket,there is a hole for oil to flow to the top end if installed wrong it can be block off. Pull the shaft and see if you can push a small wire through the head and down if it stops just after the head there is your problem.

What about your head gasket,there is a hole for oil to flow to the top end if installed wrong it can be block off. Pull the shaft and see if you can push a small wire through the head and down if it stops just after the head there is your problem.

i have runned a wire down the hole all the way in to the cam. so nothing seems to be stuck in the hole. i don´t want it but i think the machineshop installed the bearings wrong.

You could have given us this info before. Seems like your machinist couldnt find the hole.:glasses7:

I bet you a dollar you didn't hit the camshaft, you hit the cam bearing where it ain't installed right. SOMETHIN is wrong for sure.

Sorry to say this and not trying to beat you up,..but this should have been checked before assembly. Did you assemble or the shop ? I see no other option ..the engine has to come out if bearings have been installed incorrectly. You CAN pull the intake and the cam and eye ball it with the engine in the car, but much easier if engine is on a stand. If the bearings have to be replaced engine must come out. I have had to open up the cam bearing with a right angle porting tool (one I use on two strokes to reach into the tranfer ports)) because the idiot shop installed the cam bearings with just about 1/4 of the oil hole open (restrictive) . in the future...Good idea to visually verify bearing alignment. Good luck and let us know how it comes out.

Terry

I would think the engine should come out to remove cam shaft, there might be enough room if the rad etc is out, but like mailman abv said, if you assembled, you should always remember to chk and make sure the bearings are aligned properly. Also once bearings are in make sure to install cam temporarily to dbl check and make sure you can turn cam by hand. Not trying to beat you up...I have taken more steps backwards lately than forwards with dads 273 build...Let us know how it turns out.

put coathanger in the oil hole until it bottoms. slowly rotate crank with breaker bar, no starter! keep hand on coathanger, youll feel if it drops into the oil port on the cam bearing if its hitting the cam at all. If nothing, the bearing is not aligned and you can do 2 things: 1 is to pop the bearing out and install it correctly. second is to use a gun drill and drill the oil port in the bearing and catch all the crud before it drops into the block. bummer. Talk to machine shop before anything to not void any warranty.

-
Back