No oil to rollers

-

Ironmike

Reaction score
Using Hughes re-designed 1.6 rockers on this new motor and decided today to prime it on the stand.
Once the cam is in the right position I got TONS of oil to the pushrod cup......maybe too much.

What I noticed is absolutely no oil to the rollers. I have a set of their original design 1.6 rockers, and when priming, you see nice oil flow to the rollers. I honestly can't remember what they look like inside the bore.

I pulled off the drivers side and slid off a rocker to check it out. In the pic you can see the small hole in the top of the bore. This is the roller oiling hole.
I can't see how the rollers can get oil .......no groove like the one on the bottom for pushrod cup oiling.

Aint no way those rollers are going to get oil. Am I missing something here?
20170220_205946.jpg
20170220_210013.jpg

Yeah. You're missin oil. Damn if I wouldn't call Hughes.

The hole in the top will oil the roller. It needs way less oil than the shaft. There is plenty of oil moving around in the rocker boxes to oil the tips.

You'd be surprised how much oil will come out that little hole in the top.

Run it as long as the shafts and adjusters are getting oil.

The hole in the top will oil the roller. It needs way less oil than the shaft. There is plenty of oil moving around in the rocker boxes to oil the tips.

You'd be surprised how much oil will come out that little hole in the top.

Run it as long as the shafts and adjusters are getting oil.
Looks just like mine, but mine have a wider groove in the center-inside for oil , 'If I remember right. I went full time oiling to the rockers, no problems after getting the amount to them adjusted. Had to keep cutting it down from where I started.(was too much)

Last edited:
Talked to Dave today and they DID redesign them......he says exactly what YR said. They found they didn't need pressure oil to the roller, plenty will get there once the thing is actually running. Well I hope he's right. I sorta like the original design better, but they know way more than me.

On the bright side, I have 80 PSI while priming. Putting the rockers back on, bolting on the intake and ready for the dyno right quick like. Hope to get there next week.

Looks just like mine, but mine have a wider groove in the center-inside for oil , 'If I remember right. I went full time oiling to the rockers, no problems after getting the amount to them adjusted. Had to keep cutting it down from where I started.(was too much)
A Comp roller will give you full time oiling. They have full groove on the journals.. I didn't like it. Had to make little restrictors from set screws. In my case, it was just way too much oil to the top end. Just another reason I hate Comp. Just my opinion, though. To each his own.

A Comp roller will give you full time oiling. They have full groove on the journals.. I didn't like it. Had to make little restrictors from set screws. In my case, it was just way too much oil to the top end. Just another reason I hate Comp. Just my opinion, though. To each his own.
mine didn`t !

Talked to Dave today and they DID redesign them......he says exactly what YR said. They found they didn't need pressure oil to the roller, plenty will get there once the thing is actually running. Well I hope he's right. I sorta like the original design better, but they know way more than me.

On the bright side, I have 80 PSI while priming. Putting the rockers back on, bolting on the intake and ready for the dyno right quick like. Hope to get there next week.

I wish more people would do the same thing and call those who make and sell the item. I cannot tell you the number of times I've seen a question on the forums that a simple phone call to the maker gets the right answer.

Oh! Jim! Then the entertainment level would bottom out!

-
Back