No room!

-

1969dartfeve

Reaction score
IMG_9245.JPG
Hey every one! Just put a 383 in my 1969 Barracuda the problem is I don't have room for a clutch fan, I don't want a "fixed" fan so, is my only option electric now?

Check out a Hayden 2765 clutch fan. It is the shortest clutch fan, actually made for a Jaguar.
Its kind of the go to fan for these tight clearance situations. I have one on my 360 Dart.
Be ready for some finger gymnastics putting it on. Very tight. Google the part number for some info, many Mopar folks have gone this route.
Update: Hayden 2947 is the heavy duty version.

How long until someone comments on the chrome thermostat housing ?

Last edited:
hayden 2947, made for ur situation. , mech. on mine also/44o/505-68 fastback

Check out a Hayden 2765 clutch fan. It is the shortest clutch fan, actually made for a Jaguar.
Its kind of the go to fan for these tight clearance situations. I have one on my 360 Dart.
Be ready for some finger gymnastics putting it on. Very tight. Google the part number for some info, many Mopar folks have gone this route.

bout an hour and a half

Why do you make electric fans sound like an undesirable choice?

I only run twin electrics, which fit great on a BB abody, cool amazingly and eat less HP.

I've overheated once in 20 years because the impellor fell off the water pump inside the engine. I can sit in traffic all day long on the hottest of days? Why? I have full shrouded cooling fan flow at idle.

I only run twin electrics, which fit great on a BB abody, cool amazingly and eat less HP.

I've overheated once in 20 years because the impellor fell off the water pump inside the engine. I can sit in traffic all day long on the hottest of days? Why? I have full shrouded cooling fan flow at idle.
i need to talk with you then before I buy my radiator/cooling set up for my 440. there's a local cruise here thru our small down town, hundreds of cars, new and old, most classics cant do but one pass without overheating as it takes over an hour to go a block .

Any pics of the Hayden fan installed? I don't want to run electric fans on my valiant even though they are superior in every way. I wanna look stock (and be sedated).

Agreed on the finger gymnastics. I used studs and nuts. Still a pain.

20170801_164842.jpg

can`t argue w/ that !!

is there ANY room to move the radiator forward
I removed the mounts, moved the radiator forward then re-soldered the mounts
(72 Dart, big block)

011_zpsyntxd69k.jpg

IMO, electric fans are a pain. You need about 3800 cfm for it to cool well. Then there's the relays,thermal switches, upgraded alternator, and wiring. And they're loud. I prefer the simplicity of mechanical fans. I've used the Summit stainless fan. About $40. Use with a shroud. 26 inch radiator. No issues.

IMO, electric fans are a pain. You need about 3800 cfm for it to cool well. Then there's the relays,thermal switches, upgraded alternator, and wiring. And they're loud. I prefer the simplicity of mechanical fans. I've used the Summit stainless fan. About $40. Use with a shroud. 26 inch radiator. No issues.

6 in one hand, half dozen in the other as far as most of those items. I ran my fans for years of the factory alternator though.

Joe, blown belts too..

Guess you should stick with what works for you.

Fixed fans are ok for idling or slow mph cruising. Not so good for high mph/rpm highway driving. At highway speeds the fixed fan can actually end up acting as a wall not letting airflow through the rad properly causing heat problems. I'd only use a fixed fan if it was a restored # matching show car. If I couldn't squeeze a clutch fan in I'd use electrics before a fixed.

Tight with my Fat fingers but got it after a few choice Navy Words....
Machined the stainless steel bolt heads thinner to get them in place and... have wrench clearance ⚓
20170914_103847.jpg

-
Back