No room!

-
You probably do have room for a clutch fan…if you pick the right clutch fan. The Hayden space-saver clutch is a half/baby step in the right direction; you can do much better with a '70s Mercedes clutch fan. See here and here.

what fan did you end up using ? i'll tell ya what that clutch is a ***** to get on there is so little room.. i got frustrated and my son (a bit more laid back then me) got his fingers in there and the bolts started..lol
I used the Stock Clutching Fan that came with the heavy duty cooling package on A bodies in 1965...
20170606_122006.jpg
only reason I needed the shorter clutch unit was I installed a thicker aluminum radiator... and was able to use my Stock Fan Shroud & Fan... that is also part of the heavy duty cooling package⚓

20170606_121903.jpg

Fixed fans are ok for idling or slow mph cruising. Not so good for high mph/rpm highway driving. At highway speeds the fixed fan can actually end up acting as a wall not letting airflow through the rad properly causing heat problems. I'd only use a fixed fan if it was a restored # matching show car. If I couldn't squeeze a clutch fan in I'd use electrics before a fixed.
I've heard people say that, but I've never had my car run hotter at high rpm/speed.

I've heard people say that, but I've never had my car run hotter at high rpm/speed.

First hand experience. High compression 440 auto, 391 gears at 70 mph used to get on the high side of the heat gauge with a fixed fan. Only change I made was installing a clutch fan and the heat went down to (normal) the same as idle and low speed cruising.

It's the most fun when it happens on a diesel. YOu lose steering and brakes as well.

I'm really surprised that Dodge had went to that....I can remember when I was kid.......people(other than GM guys...lol) would put that system down in the Shover and leter lays duallies back in the day.

I used the Stock Clutching Fan that came with the heavy duty cooling package on A bodies in 1965...View attachment 1715091435 only reason I needed the shorter clutch unit was I installed a thicker aluminum radiator... and was able to use my Stock Fan Shroud & Fan... that is also part of the heavy duty cooling package⚓

View attachment 1715091436
Cliff......school me again please......LOL

What diameter is that fan and what is the part number for that fan blade? Please...I'll be ya bestest friend......

Cliff......school me again please......LOL

What diameter is that fan and what is the part number for that fan blade? Please...I'll be ya bestest friend......
17 inch.... I "Think" the part number on the 7 blade fan was... 2463-657 but since I never had to replace it, I have no ticket on it to be 100% sure... The original fluid drive was 2536-675 because I had to replace that several times... but now pleased I have the new "Heavy duty" Hayden 2947 as I was on my last NOS Mopar unit... being Mopar's shortest, but not short enough for the thicker core Aluminum Radiator. Wish I could have helped you more moparlee, as I would like to have you as a "friend"⚓

At highway speeds the fixed fan can actually end up acting as a wall not letting airflow through the rad properly causing heat problems.

I've seen that happen when the fan blade is installed wrong way round: air gets pushed, not very efficiently, through the radiator back-to-front. This gets the job done OK until a high enough speed that the airflow front-to-back from the car's forward motion "pushes back" on the fan's back-to-front airflow so effectively there's a wall of dead/still air at the radiator.

A right-way-round fan acting like this would violate some laws of physics.

I've seen that happen when the fan blade is installed wrong way round: air gets pushed, not very efficiently, through the radiator back-to-front. This gets the job done OK until a high enough speed that the airflow front-to-back from the car's forward motion "pushes back" on the fan's back-to-front airflow so effectively there's a wall of dead/still air at the radiator.

A right-way-round fan acting like this would violate some laws of physics.
That would depend on the prop speed, You'd have to have it wound pretty tight, lol!!!

Fixed fans are ok for idling or slow mph cruising. Not so good for high mph/rpm highway driving. At highway speeds the fixed fan can actually end up acting as a wall not letting airflow through the rad properly causing heat problems. I'd only use a fixed fan if it was a restored # matching show car. If I couldn't squeeze a clutch fan in I'd use electrics before a fixed.
mine don`t heat up on the hiway, cools down a bit actually.

Why do you make electric fans sound like an undesirable choice?

I only run twin electrics, which fit great on a BB abody, cool amazingly and eat less HP.

I've overheated once in 20 years because the impellor fell off the water pump inside the engine. I can sit in traffic all day long on the hottest of days? Why? I have full shrouded cooling fan flow at idle.
A lot of cars aren`t running 700 h.p. hi performance engines, that require more than 6 cyl elec. fans too !

17 inch.... I "Think" the part number on the 7 blade fan was... 2463-657 but since I never had to replace it, I have no ticket on it to be 100% sure... The original fluid drive was 2536-675 because I had to replace that several times... but now pleased I have the new "Heavy duty" Hayden 2947 as I was on my last NOS Mopar unit... being Mopar's shortest, but not short enough for the thicker core Aluminum Radiator. Wish I could have helped you more moparlee, as I would like to have you as a "friend"⚓
Thanks...man....I appreciate it.

-
Back