No spark

-

Stone340

Reaction score
Working on a 73 satellite with a 318. Car has been sitting for over 20 years. I do not have a key for the ignition. I'm just trying to get the motor to run for a few minutes to see if the motor is ok before I pull it and put in my duster ( my 340 needs a complete rebuild). I have swapped distributor, spark plugs and wires, ecu,voltage regulator, coil, ballist resistor and starter relay. No spark at plugs. I am turning over the motor by crossing the leads on the relay. Unable to take any voltage readings because of this unless someone can tell me how. The only other thing I can think of is the neutral safety switch. Also I do not have the alternater hooked up. What am I missing? Thanks in advance.

I hope you have the key in the on position to get 12 volts to the coil....
With the key in the on position you should have 8-12 volts between the coil + terminal and ground.

He said he dosn't have a key.
OP.... you will have to hot wire it, to the run position, of the switch to get it to run. The way you are jumping it will just make it crank over. Pull the switch, and use some jumper wires on the back of it, so you have power in the run position. Then crank it over.

I just realized that after I wrote this out that I needed to have the ignition on the ON position. So stupid. Thanks.

QUOTE="barracudadave67, post: 1971825351, member: 54"]He said he dosn't have a key.
OP.... you will have to hot wire it, to the run position, of the switch to get it to run. The way you are jumping it will just make it crank over. Pull the switch, and use some jumper wires on the back of it, so you have power in the run position. Then crank it over.[/QUOTE]

IMG_3004.JPG
Would this work?

QUOTE="barracudadave67, post: 1971825351, member: 54"]He said he dosn't have a key.
OP.... you will have to hot wire it, to the run position, of the switch to get it to run. The way you are jumping it will just make it crank over. Pull the switch, and use some jumper wires on the back of it, so you have power in the run position. Then crank it over.[/QUOTE]

It's broken beyond repair, I'll come pick it up and get it out of your way. Leave it in the Satellite so I can roll it out.

View attachment 1715093493 Would this work?

OP.... you will have to hot wire it, to the run position, of the switch to get it to run. The way you are jumping it will just make it crank over. Pull the switch, and use some jumper wires on the back of it, so you have power in the run position. Then crank it over.
[/QUOTE]

I would say yes to your drawing to where you are putting the jumper.

Stand by........

Ok..........go to Mymopar and download the two factory service manual volumes, you want the chassis manual for this not the body manual

You are going to have to be happy with a Dodge manual in this case

MyMopar - Mopar Forums & Information - MyMopar Tools/Reference

which leads to here

MyMopar - Mopar Forums & Information - Service Manuals

Then go to the wiring page

MyMopar - Mopar Forums & Information - Mopar Wiring / Electrical

You end up here

MyMopar - Mopar Forums & Information - Mopar Wiring Diagrams 1972 to 1976

and save the two files for the "these are" AFTERMARKET NOT FACTORY wiring diagrams. They are "handy" and "easier to follow" sometimes, but are NOT always complete

http://www.mymopar.com/downloads/1973/73SatelliteA.JPG

http://www.mymopar.com/downloads/1973/73SatelliteB.JPG

Now let's go back to the 73 Dodge manual you downloaded. Go to page 8-128 which is the engine bay wiring for a 73 Coronet/ Charter, and look there in the upper right hand corner

chargerign.jpg

Notice on the right side end of the ballast, (in the photo) THE TOP AND BOTTOM are jumpered together with a short wire. Find this on your in-car ballast. THAT POINT is where you jumper in 12V from battery to "hot wire" the ignition. THIS MAY BACKFEED and light up the gauges

If your alternator is REMOVED make CERTAIN you tape off and safe off the wiring going to it

THIS STUPID NEW SO CALLED NEW AND IMPROVED SOFTWARE ABSOLUTLEY SUCKS!!!! for someone trying to answer a serious question. You CAN NOT READ the op's question while you are attempting to post an ANSWER!!!!

Last edited:
-
Back