noisy air compressor

-

Rapid Robert

Reaction score
brand new 3 gallon oil free "pancake" HF compressor. this thing is LOUD. I was pretty much just use it for airing up tires & blowing off parts. Is there anything I can do to quiet this small monster! thank you for your time. RR

1708031508583.png

I have the same one. You can return it.
I did, second one was almost as bad.
Made a metallic rattling as it got past 60 psi then it really slowed down.
About ten minutes to fully pressurize!
Manager did his best to embarrass me by grilling me at the register, accused me of inflating car tires with it.
No, a couple skinny bicycle tires after it was fully pressurized and unplugged.
Defeated, he allowed the return and retreated into his manager cave.
Their hot dog compressor is far better although much more heavy and bulkier

I have 2 pancakes 1 for home the other is at the shop for air tools. Both are loud.
Being small you can build a insulated box to fit over the compressor.
Giving enough space for it to breath. Don't worry about heat. If you time the compressor they only run a few minutes unless you are running a sander that will make them run low on pressure fast.My home one is in a shed.I just close the door. They do make much quieter small compressors but they are way more costly.
Does sound like 10 minutes is way too long to build air. You did right to take it back.

I got the hot dog and it sucks, too.

I should have bought a better quality used one from a thrift store or pawn shop.

Seems like my old compressor with the belt drive was a lot quieter than the direct drive pancake one I have.

You get what you pay for.

Pay a little more for a quieter one or get some ear plugs.

good info guys, since I will be useing it sparingly I will get some ear muffs! (FWIW) in another vid it measured 93 decibels. the main problem is there are alot of elderly people in this apt complex & I will get complaints filed. OK I will build an insulated box or get a better one, thanks guys. RR

Aren’t most elderly people hard of hearing? You’re in the best place to use a noisy compressor.

We had a screw compressor at Caterpillar that was in a dedicated cabinet. Hardly knew it was on. No way I could afford one either
Yup, those screw compressors in enclosures are super quiet! Not cheap but designed for 24/7 operation. Overkill for a garage but not an industrial site.

What colour was it? Tan, gray or blue?

Yup, those screw compressors in enclosures are super quiet! Not cheap but designed for 24/7 operation. Overkill for a garage but not an industrial site.

What colour was it? Tan, gray or blue?
Oh you're accessing brain cells that are discrepant. That's CAT speak for bad lol
Sorry I don't remember. I remember hearing what it cost though. About the size of 2-3 filing cabinets side by side

My buddy bought one for his body shop $20K. But man are they nice.
Yeah, new ones are super costly. My brother found one that had 1500 hours on it for about 6K. Can stand right next to it and talk. It’s like standing next to a new dodge 3500 idling…

IMG_3571.jpeg

OK I will dig out my earmuffs (& try to use it at the most appropriate times) as to minimally disturb my neighbors! I was just thinking that if I could find a styrofoam cooler big enough to isolate it I would try that. I will consider a larger quieter one in the future. thanks guys for the good info. RR

-
Back