Noob question 727 really low shift points

-
Lol, I just replaced the external voltage regulator last night. I've had them before, my very first was a 72 Duster with a slant 6, back in 88-89 time frame. I remember a lot but I also would have probably taken more shortcuts back then than I'm willing to now, so that'll mean figuring out this stuff on the fly. I did order the bracket as well, I chatted with one of their tech guys and he brought it up to me as well. Is all the adjustment done up at the carb?

Nice.
The cable is basically the same as far as adjusting (full throttle=full travel) but let me throw a kink in here just for fun.
I put a small clamp on my cable where it goes into the housing because I wanted the shift points just a bit higher at low speeds than where it was (it goes into 3rd at about 30mph and not before for any reason)
And I made this throttle bracket adapter.
There is a slot that allows me to change the geometry of the pull on the cable, and 2 lighter throttle return springs (one pulling forward and one back) to lessen throttle plate shaft and carb body wear from one spring always pulling in one direction on it.
Plus I hate inconsistent idles where things don't always settle in the same place exactly because of that one sided pull on the linkage.
The second spring isn't in the picture yet as I had not yet decided when I wanted it on the disc.

SANY0011.JPG

"Ok, so when I got the car, I got nothing to go on, literally guy lied and said it was a 360, it's actually a 340"

I say lucky you, 340 is much better than a 360. Did you check the side of the block to verify?
Torqueflites are one of the easiest transmissions to rebuild. There are many books out there on rebuilding them. My opinion is that transmission probably has some damage since it was run low on fluid (for how long??) and the lack of KD linkage. Unfortunately it will require more than just dropping the pan to know the extent of the damage.

Here is a photo of a BPE, bouchillonperformance.com kick down cable, Iv'e had for years with no problem, It eliminates all the linkage.

Jeff

"Ok, so when I got the car, I got nothing to go on, literally guy lied and said it was a 360, it's actually a 340"

I say lucky you, 340 is much better than a 360..
50 years ago, when new, maybe

But today, as a rebuild, I'll take a 360 over a 340 any day

Now, I'm I want a block to sit in the garage as an investment to sell on a rainy day...340 all the way

Lets try that again. There ya go two for the price of one!!!

Jeff

View attachment 1715095652

View attachment 1715095653

I just had Bouchillon do the steering column and plunge joint, hadn't had the car back a full day when I realized what was going on with the shift point.

So, I just spent about an hour trying to run this thing down in the dark and got some pictures to upload. I think on closer inspection there is one connected at the tranny but somehow got dropped, removed, lost or whatever at the carb side. Pics coming up in a little bit.

Ok, so I had trouble following this, so here's what I saw. I think the cable comes up in between the motor and the firewall somewhere and I can't see it for the life of me.

In the first one it looks like the bracket on the inside, circled is where the cable should be attaching.
In the second one, this looks like a junction of the 2 sections of the cable, the left takes off up toward the front
In the third, it's the top down look of the second one
In the fourth, I believe this is the pump connection

If I'm not seeing this correctly, please let me know, as I said I'm comfortable with just about all other areas, trannys have always been a mystery though and I've never worked on them. And of course, the NSS is missing the wire, no idea where that is or is supposed to return, so I guess I better hope I'm not in gear when I go to start the car.

Trans 1_LI.jpg

Trans 2_LI.jpg

Trans 3_LI.jpg

Trans 5_LI.jpg

I say lucky you, 340 is much better than a 360. Did you check the side of the block to verify?
Torqueflites are one of the easiest transmissions to rebuild. There are many books out there on rebuilding them. My opinion is that transmission probably has some damage since it was run low on fluid (for how long??) and the lack of KD linkage. Unfortunately it will require more than just dropping the pan to know the extent of the damage.

Yep, I verified that it's a 340 block. I wouldn't have been upset either way with the motor, I just don't like being lied to, I probably would have still bought the car if it was a 318, I didn't buy this car as an investment, this is going to be my daily driver and it's a throw back to my youth. I miss my 72 Duster in a big way, this is a very solid close second since I couldn't find a Duster that was in decent shape.

As for the transmission, it wasn't run without transmission fluid since I've had it, as soon as I realized it was empty it went to the transmission shop. I can't say what happened before hand with that or the kick down linkage, again, not being able to trust the seller, I'm flying blind on a lot of this. I don't know, I guess I might look at building one on the bench if I can find one really cheap though, depending on whether or not I can damage parts during the rebuild process, I would hate to spend money on rebuild parts only to break them somehow while learning.

thats your ratchet shifter cable Junior

let me see if i can find a pic of the lever you're looking for

(but the pic of the carb is definitive, there is no kick down linkage connected)

on a side note, those are pressurized transmission cooler lines (up to 30 PSI if all is well, but might spike if all is NOT well) and i would not trust those hose clamps

it is cobbled together (sorry, but no point in me lying to you as well)

i would replace them with an aftermarket set, should run you about 80 bucks

thats your ratchet shifter cable Junior

let me see if i can find a pic of the lever you're looking for

(but the pic of the carb is definitive, there is no kick down linkage connected)

Ok, that's good, the part about being able to be certain it's not there. Here's what I ordered from Jegs.

625-KD-2727U
KICK DOWN CABLE 727 Lokar KD-2727HT: Chrysler TF-727 Stainless Steel Kickdown Cable Kit Brushed Finish Aluminum Fittings and Ferrule | JEGS

625-SRK-4000
THROTTLE CABLE BRKT/SPRHG Lokar SRK-4000: Throttle Cable Bracket & Springs Holley 4150/4160, Edelbrock, Carter, Rochester | JEGS

[
Ok, so I had trouble following this, so here's what I saw. I think the cable comes up in between the motor and the firewall somewhere and I can't see it for the life of me.

In the first one it looks like the bracket on the inside, circled is where the cable should be attaching.
In the second one, this looks like a junction of the 2 sections of the cable, the left takes off up toward the front
In the third, it's the top down look of the second one
In the fourth, I believe this is the pump connection

If I'm not seeing this correctly, please let me know, as I said I'm comfortable with just about all other areas, trannys have always been a mystery though and I've never worked on them. And of course, the NSS is missing the wire, no idea where that is or is supposed to return, so I guess I better hope I'm not in gear when I go to start the car.

That one is the throttle pressure, and not hooked up=bad.
The red cable and the other linkage arm is the gear selector.

Trans 5_LI.jpg

Ok, that's good, the part about being able to be certain it's not there. Here's what I ordered from Jegs.

625-KD-2727U
KICK DOWN CABLE 727 Lokar KD-2727HT: Chrysler TF-727 Stainless Steel Kickdown Cable Kit Brushed Finish Aluminum Fittings and Ferrule | JEGS

625-SRK-4000
THROTTLE CABLE BRKT/SPRHG Lokar SRK-4000: Throttle Cable Bracket & Springs Holley 4150/4160, Edelbrock, Carter, Rochester | JEGS

thats what i run on mine
i dont know if it will work with a stock throttle cable

but the good news is, i found these for you for half of what i thought

PLYMOUTH DUSTER Right Stuff Detailing Automatic Transmission Cooler Lines YTC7201

The bouchilon cable looks to be a copy of the factory truck and b van cable. You can pull just about everything you need for a cable setup from a late model truck or van.

That is some funky throttle bracket that you have on your intake..... no adjustment! Makes one wonder if you are even achieving wide open throttle.

If you want or need to drive the car in the meantime you can tie the lever on the trans 3/4 or more of the way back. This will raise your shift points and line pressure although you may find the shift points are now too high.

The bouchilon cable looks to be a copy of the factory truck and b van cable. You can pull just about everything you need for a cable setup from a late model truck or van.

That is some funky throttle bracket that you have on your intake..... no adjustment! Makes one wonder if you are even achieving wide open throttle.

If you want or need to drive the car in the meantime you can tie the lever on the trans 3/4 or more of the way back. This will raise your shift points and line pressure although you may find the shift points are now too high.

I actually already ordered the cable and carb throttle linkage, linked up further in this post. I'm not going to jerry rig this anymore than it's already been done but I appreciate the tip on that for sure. If the transmission is trashed then I'll deal with it as I have to but right now, it's parked and I'm not going to drive it so at the very least I won't damage it anymore than it is now. If I can get a couple of months out of it after I put the new gear on it, then that'll give me time to find a replacement and I guess try and rebuild it.

sorry, thats a google issue

but when i installed mine, my engine and transmission were out

sorry, thats a google issue

but when i installed mine, my engine and transmission were out

Makes sense then. Going to be a bear for sure.

Also have to find out exactly where to run it, obviously should stay away from the headers, maybe up through the middle somewhere. I'm sure there's a path its supposed to go through.

it will be in the instructions, but yes, straight back to your drivers compartment, hiding under the tunnel, slight loop and back to the bracket shown in the pic and bobs yer uncles

It looks like the linkage you circled on post #32 is for Ford kickdown. Correct me if I'm wrong here guys. Mopars use the adapter in the second photo for the Torqueflites but with a cable system you may not need it.

Trans 1_LI.jpg

shopping.jpg

It looks like the linkage you circled on post #32 is for Ford kickdown. Correct me if I'm wrong here guys. Mopars use the adapter in the second photo for the Torqueflites but with a cable system you may not need it.

View attachment 1715095784

View attachment 1715095785

As much as I want to say that surprises me, lol, it really doesn't. This whole car seems to have been cobbled together with one jerry rigged thing after another.

I took a look at that car when it was on Lady's island S.C. and yes there was a lot of questionable MODS on it, I talked to the fellow selling it, He didn't seem to know much! But not to worry with all the help you will get here, that 340 will be ripping up the street in no time.

Jeff

I took a look at that car when it was on Lady's island S.C. and yes there was a lot of questionable MODS on it, I talked to the fellow selling it, He didn't seem to know much! But not to worry with all the help you will get here, that 340 will be ripping up the street in no time.

Jeff

Thanks for the information. I'm ok with working on these things but I also know my limits and transmissions are definitely pushing my limits but they're also one of the most important things to get right and of course, by virtue the most expensive.

I'm hoping I can get this cable installed and that too much damage hasn't been done. Even if it just gets me down the road for a little while to save up some money.

The guys at Bouchillon did a great job on the steering column and plunge joint so I'm fairly certain that I can trust them if I get into a jam with most things with the exception of actually tearing apart the transmission.

Jeff

Now that I'm thinking about this, was that guy driving it back then or was he still resto modding it? Reason I ask is, if he didn't know better and was driving it all over without that cable, I can probably kiss this thing goodbye now.

Thanks for the information. I'm ok with working on these things but I also know my limits and transmissions are definitely pushing my limits but they're also one of the most important things to get right and of course, by virtue the most expensive.

I'm hoping I can get this cable installed and that too much damage hasn't been done. Even if it just gets me down the road for a little while to save up some money.

The guys at Bouchillon did a great job on the steering column and plunge joint so I'm fairly certain that I can trust them if I get into a jam with most things with the exception of actually tearing apart the transmission.

J Par (Jason) on here did his own 904 for the first auto trans he ever did and took it to the racetrack afterwards making some decent times.:D

-
Back