Official 3rd Gen Hemi thread

-
Hi, all , I put a 04' Hemi Motor and Trans. in a 01' Dakota Quad cab. in 2009. A woman pulled out in front of me totaling it in 11' . So I removed the Motor + transmission and installed them into a 02' Ram Quad cab. Both builds are on. www.DodgeForum.com.
.Dakota Hemi Swap with pics... and 02' ram get HemiDak-Quads 04 Hemi.
The Dakota build has ECM and TCM Pin~outs. and a lot of info , along with a long burnout..My name on that sight is HemiDak-Quad..

View attachment pictures 470.jpg

Welcome aboard. Could you do me a fav and post a link to that thread of yours? I would love to see that myself. (Also being I own a '03 quad cab Dakota.)

What are you guys doing regarding the cats and dogs? Kidding, just the cats. I presume since you don't have to meet emissions you're not running them. I'm interested in doing a cat delete (never did like those critters). I've been looking at O2 simulators, but so far the info is sketchy. I suspect it would be in the threads listed but finding it is daunting.

I am running mine with out the cats, but the o2 sensors are still there

Interesting. I was under the impression that would generate error signals.

With a 5.9 engine purchase I got the o2 simulator that was on it. The mechanic who sold it figured it would function for a 5.7 hemi.

I'd like to learn more about it and figured you guys have dealt with this and might have an easy answer. I don't want to mess up this sticky so I'll post elsewhere.

I am running mine with out the cats, but the o2 sensors are still there
If you have removed the cats your car absolutely needs to be tuned. There is about a 5-12% difference in fuel trims on a car that has vs does not have cats.

I am about ready for a new motor and am thinking the best route is a boneyard 5.7 that I will work over with some head porting and a nasty cam. I think going with a FAST XFI right off the bat would be an advantage for future growth. Kinda planning just a mild 5.7 to get my feet wet as well as get the package setup right in the car so later on a 430+ cube engine will be just an engine swap and some tuning. What do you guys think? Looks like a low mileage 06-08 5.7 can be picked up in $1000-1500 range these days.

Sounds good. I got my motor in that range from the local recycle yard. They were great to deal with, and have allowed me to go back for anything else I need and scout the yard.

Go for it there are plenty of guys here still gathering parts, as well as guys trying to find time to put there cars together ( me being that guy ) any.help I can be with your swap just hollar.

Aj

I am about ready for a new motor and am thinking the best route is a boneyard 5.7 that I will work over with some head porting and a nasty cam. I think going with a FAST XFI right off the bat would be an advantage for future growth. Kinda planning just a mild 5.7 to get my feet wet as well as get the package setup right in the car so later on a 430+ cube engine will be just an engine swap and some tuning. What do you guys think? Looks like a low mileage 06-08 5.7 can be picked up in $1000-1500 range these days.

You'll probably get better responses if you start your own thread...

What do you have for a k member? Suspension? There are shortcomings with both factory and aftermarket when trying to work with a hemi.

XFI looks like a good system. I went megasquirt instead, given it did everything the XFI did at a lower price point (Though it required me to wire everything - definitely not plug and play).

The advantage of the factory computer is knock control. The advantage of XFI/MS3x/AEM is tunability. Pick your poison.

Don't you have a healthy big block in your car right now? I for one think your ride is pretty cool as it sits!

You'll probably get better responses if you start your own thread...

What do you have for a k member? Suspension? There are shortcomings with both factory and aftermarket when trying to work with a hemi.

XFI looks like a good system. I went megasquirt instead, given it did everything the XFI did at a lower price point (Though it required me to wire everything - definitely not plug and play).

The advantage of the factory computer is knock control. The advantage of XFI/MS3x/AEM is tunability. Pick your poison.

Don't you have a healthy big block in your car right now? I for one think your ride is pretty cool as it sits!
HAHA yeah its healthy but it is getting unhealthy since its 20 yrs old, im after lighter weight and fuel mileage. Knock control would definitely be a good thing since the quality just sucks these days.

AJ,

What yard was this? How much do they want for an engine?

I am in the East Bay and am researching this swap.

Thanks!
Mike

Sounds good. I got my motor in that range from the local recycle yard. They were great to deal with, and have allowed me to go back for anything else I need and scout the yard.

Go for it there are plenty of guys here still gathering parts, as well as guys trying to find time to put there cars together ( me being that guy ) any.help I can be with your swap just hollar.

Aj

I want to do this swap on a 64 valiant (with a 64 dart front clip). Does anyone know of a place that has gas tanks that will fit early abodies? I was doing this swap on a 64 dart a few years back and thought there was a place that was doing a gas tank for efi with the pump inside, but cant seem to remember who was doing it.

I want to do this swap on a 64 valiant (with a 64 dart front clip). Does anyone know of a place that has gas tanks that will fit early abodies? I was doing this swap on a 64 dart a few years back and thought there was a place that was doing a gas tank for efi with the pump inside, but cant seem to remember who was doing it.

I got mine ('69 Cuda) from Rock Valley . A stock tank modified for a Walbro 255 fuel pump.
http://www.rockvalleyantiqueautoparts.com/aboutus.htm

View attachment IMG_0985.jpg

I'm sure you already know this, but you can do EFI without buying a new tank. You can run an external fuel accumulator for EFI and run the factory pickup in the tank.

My system:
Factory pickup > carter electric 7 psi pump > bc bronco's fuel accumulator > walbro gsl392 EFI pump > corvette filter/regulator

The return line from the filter/regulator passes through the accumulator on the way back to the tank.

Easy, we got ours from Modern Muscle, but we paid way too much for what they did. We should've bought a stock tank and bought an in tank pump and did it myself. We bought the fuel line system from Buchillon Performance out of South Carolina and that help out a lot. It has a nice orange silicone liner over the fuel line in the motor and header area (very much needed around all the HEAT).

Info needed;
I have a very hi mileage 07 Ram 2500 w/5.7
I have a very low mileage 03 5.7 out of a Durango
Aside from intake, oil pan and possibly serpent drives what needs to be changed. Will the 03 long block work with the 07 PCM if I swap all the sensors and pickups off the 07 engine on to the 03?

Info needed;
I have a very hi mileage 07 Ram 2500 w/5.7
I have a very low mileage 03 5.7 out of a Durango
Aside from intake, oil pan and possibly serpent drives what needs to be changed. Will the 03 long block work with the 07 PCM if I swap all the sensors and pickups off the 07 engine on to the 03?

The 07 probably has MDS for which the 03 computer is not equipped to deal with.

You could swap out the MDS lifters from the 07 with standard lifters from the 03 (probably be a good idea just to buy 8 new lifters). Place plugs in the MDS holes in the top of the block. The plugs are available through several aftermarket supplier.

Here's one:

http://www.factorychryslerparts.com...er-Block-Mds-Solenoid/4403325/53032221AA.html

Once you do that the motors will be identical, though you may need to swap out injectors and various sensors as Chrysler changed plug designes from year to year on occasion. Simply look at each connector and verify that they are the same, if they are different simply remove the piece from the Ram and use it on the Durango motor.

I am uncertain if the Durango uses the car accessories or the truck accessories, if it uses the truck accessories you're good to go, if it uses the car accessories you will need to remove the intake manifold and front cover from the truck and place them on the Durango motor.

Regards,

Joe Dokes

Great info, thanks. I forgot to mention its a Powerwagon. Don't think they had MDS but I have the build sheet the factory put in the left rear door window.

-
Back