Official 3rd Gen Hemi thread

-
To clairify, I'm planning on putting the low mileage 03 Durango engine into the 07 Powerwagon using the Powerwagons PCM and all the sensors and pick ups as well as the oil pan, intake and injectors off the 07 engine. Anyone see any problems?

Are you sure the Durango is an 03? It was my understanding that the 5.7L Hemi only came in Ram 2500 Trucks in 03?

Also I got the years mixed up, I read it backwards, I thought the truck was an 03 and the Durnago was an 07.

Regards,

Joe Dokes

Good point Joe, I assumed it was an '03 Durango cause the bill of sale said it was. Better run the number I guess. Makes me question the milage now too, but the engine is spotless although doesn't appear to have been pressure washed.

Good point Joe, I assumed it was an '03 Durango cause the bill of sale said it was. Better run the number I guess. Makes me question the milage now too, but the engine is spotless although doesn't appear to have been pressure washed.

If it was sold in October through December it could be an 04, according to Wikipedia a 5.7 was available in 04, but MDS was only available from 2006 and later.

A little investigation would be a good idea.

Best of Luck,

Regards,

Joe Dokes

I put a 06 5.7 in my 70 duster,now have 1200 miles on it,I went the carb route although some have issues with this it is MY car and I wanted a carb for the ol' school look,I have had plenty of issues to work around as to I also went with the ol' school A833 4 speed with a hydrolic clutch ,That in it self was a 6 month back-up on getting the car on the road,it was dynoed on a mustang dyno last week and the results where 367 rwhp

What is the mileage like with the carbed 5.7??

i have decided to go with an 06 6.1 . going carb with an indy intake . anyone else gone this way?

anyone got a good cam for this engine that can be recommended ?

going with 833 18 spline . msd eginition

i have decided to go with an 06 6.1 . going carb with an indy intake . anyone else gone this way?

anyone got a good cam for this engine that can be recommended ?

going with 833 18 spline . msd eginition

Yes, me. :)

As far as cam specs - how radical do you want to go? The Inertia street grind cams do well for what they are - but they install retarded so your peak tq and HP tends to come in higher so you lose bottom end.

Not a biggy in a geared lighter car like an A Body...but the LX boys notice it.

I had a grind recommended to me by Performance Werks Racing.....I asked for the biggest lift/ longest duration they could suggest using factory lifters, pushrods and slugs.

. 224/232 553/553 114lsa 111icl for stock springs. With aftermarket springs you can go up to about 585 lift but duration and lsa stay the same.

well I bought the indy based on their specs, They were impressive. HHP?
As for a cam , want to keep all the stock valve train building a 70 cuda had a 512 in it for years loved it but could never enjoy the streets and finding fuel became a big issue .
So im used to lots of torque.

I wouldn't use the Indy intake either, hhp has the intake I would use.

Trouble with the tall or short Drag pak intake is that you need to fit a scoop or run an exposed air cleaner - and you have to face carving your pride and joy up.

The Modman still has a better rep than either the IV or the MP intakes....and some guys on Moparts are finding the SB and RB versions are making better peak HP #s than their M1s.

I agree they aren't perfect - but atm if you want to run a factory hood...they're as good as you're gonna get :)

Ya the hood is a big issue here. I had a rally hood but I have purchased a AAR hood just fits.

Im just not a fan of the 90* turn of the Indy,MP,XV and Eddy intakes. I also think its why ive never seen a Gen III make more than about 460hp using one. I understand why people use them but IMO they are a huge restriction.

Id love to see a hemi version of a edelbrock super victor, Holley hi-ram or a fast 102/102.

@latehemi - I read your combo on the other thread - a beast!

But.......a 392 at 7000 rpm requires around 131 sq" of filter area.

[URL="http://www.knfilters.com/images/affform1.gif"][/URL]

If you want to measure the perimeter (circumference) of your air cleaner and your height, I'll do the math and work out how much filter area you have......it looks like it might be a little small.

Or..do it yourself.....You can measure the perimeter by running a piece of string around the outside of the filter and then measure the total length of the string....then X by the height = sq"

Rat Patrol,

Not saying you're wrong about the Air Cleaner (Bigger seems like it would be better, less restrictive), but where did you find the calculation?

Regards,

Joe Dokes

@latehemi - I read your combo on the other thread - a beast!

But.......a 392 at 7000 rpm requires around 131 sq" of filter area.

[URL="http://www.knfilters.com/images/affform1.gif"][URL="http://www.knfilters.com/images/affform1.gif"][URL="http://www.knfilters.com/images/affform1.gif"][URL="http://www.knfilters.com/images/affform1.gif"][/URL][/URL][/URL][/URL]

If you want to measure the perimeter (circumference) of your air cleaner and your height, I'll do the math and work out how much filter area you have......it looks like it might be a little small.

Or..do it yourself.....You can measure the perimeter by running a piece of string around the outside of the filter and then measure the total length of the string....then X by the height = sq"

I hear ya but unfortunately I can't find one bigger round and taller is out of the question.

View attachment WP_000941.jpg

-
Back