One tool every gearhead should have and why

-
A pocket knife. Aka, screwdriver, scraper, prying mechanism, wedge, awl, ruler, oh and cutting instrument.

Its a rare use tool, but a borescope has recently saved me a lot of work when 6 gm injectors fell apart during removal.

I second the power probe,and a circuit tracer to go with it. Together there isnt an open or short circuit you cant find.

I have had a multi-tool on my belt for 20 years. Make sure it has a file,had to cut a padlock off,it saved a 50 mile trip to get bolt cutters.

Swiss army knife .. Or reasonable facsimile thereof .. A 60s vintage USMC pocket knife has served me well .. Gotta love those Marines :thumbsup:

A can of rust buster to get your nuts loose. WD -40 doesn't really work to loosen my nuts.

I read an interesting history of WD-40 .. Intended for US military applications .. It was mostly fish oil in it's original form .. Wartime it was and petroleum had more important uses .. Water Displacer Formula 40 was it's designation

A factory service manual.

Bastard, beat me to it.

I'll never forget how I got my first job working on Harleys. I stopped and asked the Big Smelly Biker (complete with full length beard no hipster would touch) if they were hiring mechanics.

Service manager looked me up n down, and asked "if you had a 1/4-20 bolt threaded into aluminum, how tight would you tighten it?"

I had no idea.

So I said, I dunno..... thirty foot pounds?
but I would prefer to look it up in the service manual first....

He smiled and said, "I think we can find a home for you here"

I have the thermal imager and the bore scope for my cell phone. Handy as hell.

Last edited:
A 3/8 fine-tooth ratchet with,in addition to doing it's normal function, you can twist/spin/rotate the shank when the ratchet is in a tight space and you can't use it in the normal way. I got one as a gift and now use it almost exclusively; I put that 'chet on everything.

A good air hammer NOT A MUFFLER GUN that snap-on sells as the best, I mean a air riveter the air craft style one CP4444 or 4X or CP714 all the same. They can be used for everything.

Cold refrigerator stocked with a motivator of your choice...............
I like the way you think. Before I retired, I used to wait until about 5:00 to have my favorite Adult Beverage (Rum and Coke). Now I don't care. I figure it's 5:00 somewhere.

-
Back