One tool every gearhead should have and why

-
It's funny you should mention that. I use a paper towel and a piece of duct tape. I wish I had a dollar for every time I was in the garage and saw blood, and thought, "Where is that coming from?". Then I find a cut somewhere that I didn't even feel. I love to hear my wife tell me how unsanitary that is.

I just bought a snap-on air hammer, it is by no means a muffler gun. Its the hardest pounding one i have ever used. Theres bigger ones,but it makes quick work of ball joint rivets. Saves me a lot of time.

How about a friend with a 30 x 100 Morton Building with a REAL paint booth that you time you want... All I have to do is
pain a car or two for him. Just finished a 67 Mustang a while back.
Mustang 10.JPG

I like the way you think. Before I retired, I used to wait until about 5:00 to have my favorite Adult Beverage (Rum and Coke). Now I don't care. I figure it's 5:00 somewhere.

I here ya. My body has been tattered from physical work over the years. Finally catching up with me. I definately dont have the energy i did.
So A few beers and a couple of scooby snacks of bourbon and I can accomplish things. Some people aid themselves with pills, some alcohol.

Dave

It's funny you should mention that. I use a paper towel and a piece of duct tape. I wish I had a dollar for every time I was in the garage and saw blood, and thought, "Where is that coming from?". Then I find a cut somewhere that I didn't even feel. I love to hear my wife tell me how unsanitary that is.
It reminds me of a time I was doing a tailgate latch recall on a customer's Caravan. I finished putting the tailgate cover on, looked down and saw fresh blood all over their tan carpet. Sliced myself open and never even felt it. I lost more time cleaning the carpet than I made on the flat rate repair

digital camera. Always have my cell phone handy to take lots of pics before/during disassembly. Was a huge help putting the car back together!

Magnet. Just showed my 17 yo how to retrieve a cam thrust plate bolt out of the oil pan without having to drop the pan. Guess how it got there. Insert redface emoji thingie here.

Spring loaded hand impact. The best tool in the world for removing rusted screws.

I really like my Dewalt 1/4 impact driver. Small, compact. Li-ion battery kicks like a mule. Darn thing can put down 125ft/lbs of torque! But I use it mainly to remove nuts. I also had a 12" 1/2-9/16 combo box end wrench that I liked so much I wore it out.
Dewalt-impact-driver-20v-DCF886D2.jpg

Hear is a good one, its not exactly in the tool box but on my list, I guy comes in to my store the other day and he has ( and is selling for 300 bucks CDN ) a small thermo imaging camera that plugs into your cell phone it is about 1" square he uses it for looking for hot spots in wires, coils, cyls etc, the image is projected directly on your smart phone screen, now I gotta say I am not a geeky tech guy at all but that is cool as hell and on my list particularly useful with multi coil set ups on some of the engines I work on.

You can likely do that for less. Google infrared photography, "anti aliasing filter." On many camers, get yourself a cheap one........you can remove the anti aliasing filter behind the lens and just in front of the sensor. This essentially turns the camera into a "reversable" infrared camera. I say "reversable" because you can use it normally so long as you THEN add a filter to the front of the lens

As an example, this old Canon Xt is right now on Spokane CL for 100 bucks complete with extra batteries and lens, allegedly operational:

00404_2iogBZr64I9_600x450.jpg

^5 Harrison . Ain't retired life grand? Now if I could just get my back to stop screaming at me after 40 yrs on heavy equipment :rofl:

^5 Harrison . Ain't retired life grand? Now if I could just get my back to stop screaming at me after 40 yrs on heavy equipment :rofl:
I'm not retired...yet (but close). I love it how every time I work on my cars, especially if I have to crawl under them, it reminds me that I'm not in my teens...rather painfully.

-
Back