Opinions... 2 4's or 6 pack?

-

ragtopfury

Reaction score
As we do what we do, I sometimes start thinking way ahead of myself . .... so as I start cleaning up remnants of other projects around the house in prep of starting on the 68 ragtop, I've been debating with myself. I already have the 440 crank, rods and balancer that I'm going to stroke a 383 with. But I got to thinking about carburetors . I've been running a 6 pack on the relatively stock small block in the Fury since it went on the road 13 trouble-free years ago. So I'm on the fence about piecing together another 6 pack set up for the big block, or do I go with 2 4's on a low rise intake that will keep everything under the hood? I have no pieces for either set up, yet, but have a chance to pick up an aluminum 2 4 intake locally for $200..... oh the decision I have to make....lol thoughts ?

2 x 4 cross ram I always liked this for o'**** appeal
index.jpg

Six packs aren't played out, but what could be sweeter than one of each?

Mancini Racing has a nice looking dual quad setup for the 440...a lil diff if that what you want.

Here is my vote what to build. And yes this is my 6 Pack ready to go on my 408.

20160404_195801.jpg

Here is my vote what to build. And yes this is my 6 Pack ready to go on my 408.

View attachment 1714994355

I have that on the Fury. It has over-played out well.

As for the cross-ram.... I'd love one of those set ups, but talk about $$$$$$$................

If I do the inline 4's, I'd have to adapt a 6 pack or air grabber type of air cleaner base/lid, maybe. or just 2 small rounds.

I have that on the Fury. It has over-played out well.

As for the cross-ram.... I'd love one of those set ups, but talk about $$$$$$$................

If I do the inline 4's, I'd have to adapt a 6 pack or air grabber type of air cleaner base/lid, maybe. or just 2 small rounds.
I have a decent pair of X-Rams...pm me if interested.....

66340 - I'd entertain the cross rams, except they won't fit between the inner fenders on an A body. I don't want to get into cutting up the inners. I could do a big block swap in the Fury.......but that would back me up a couple of years on the B'cuda. Appreciate the thought, tho!

RRR - you a funny man. Would definitely be different.

From a tuning perspective, the vacuum secondaries on a six-pack are better for the street. IMO

Unless you are going for a look, a single 4bbl is hard to beat.

Ah, the look. From the outside looking in, the car as a whole will appear sleeper-ish. Either rallye wheels or cop wheels/poverty caps. Interior will be 1968 correct. other than multiple carbs of one or the other, nothing shiny on the motor. The 6 pack on my Fury looks like a factory install with the intake painted the color of the motor. whether I go 6 or 2/4 on this one, it will be motor color as well. Stroking the 383 out to about 426-434 ish because I can. nothing radical, just a good stroked street motor. Going with factory hp manifolds and somewhat quiet enough exhaust to keep from rattling the windows in the house. As for the rest, it's an auto car and I have 3 727s to choose from and a 3.55 8-3/4 for it. Also debating about the expense of a 4spd conversion..... a whole new topic of discussion.

I've got 6 years to get the car done, before my next son starts thinking about getting his learner's permit. But I have to get started on it soon. Time flies.

Time does fly. My kid is getting his permit in 31 days.

The 2x4 thing is they way I'd go. Use a couple of 625 AFB's and get them tuned and your go to go.

My brother almost bought a 65 Dart with a 273 and 2x4's but he bailed at the last minute. That thing ran good.

Can't beat what you want to do.

Love the sleepers and stroking those 383's does wonders.

Six pack will run better than the quads unless you use a m1 tunnel ram (they work) Ive ran high tens on my 512 six pack through muffles and driving it to the track. A good single plane with a big 4150 carb will also run well. My 4000# at the line b body.

IMG_2377.JPG

IMG_2379.JPG

With a 1050an on a ported tm6. I wouldn't call either combo completely dialed, but very very close. The car doesn't have a roll bar so it's hard to get away with running it at the track. To be fair the six pack is sporting a big center carb.

IMG_2429.JPG

IMG_2532.JPG

Nope. Never done a 2-4 before. But never did a six pack until I'd either. lol. The rest of the engine will be a 383 stroked out to 430-ish, depending on the over bore and piston choice. I've got the crank and rods from a 74 440 that I'm going to stuff in the 383 block. Cam is undecided as of yet (I've got a couple of years before I ask that question). Iron heads, pump gas. If I stay with a 727, I'll pick up a convertor to work with my future cam choice and 3.55's. If I find a helluva deal on a 4spd package, I'll spend the convertor money on a clutch/pressure plate. Like I eluded to up top, just kicking it around at this point because I can pick up the 2-4 intake locally pretty reasonable at this time.

-
Back