Opinions on the BEST A BODY...............

-
I'm not biased either....I'm in love with your car!!!!
Awesome. Just know that part of you is in my car! When I first got it the owner had broken the turn signal level off the car and didn't tell me. I couldn't find one to replace it.

Without hesitation you shipped two of them to me didn't ask me for a penny and paid shipping to Canada.

I never forgot it. Thank you so much.

Awesome. Just know that part of you is in my car! When I first got it the owner had broken the turn signal level off the car and didn't tell me. I couldn't find one to replace it.

Without hesitation you shipped two of them to me didn't ask me for a penny and paid shipping to Canada.

I never forgot it. Thank you so much.

That was so I could drool on it now and you can't be mad!!! :)

Seriously, it's got a badass stance, looks every bit the giant killer....and I just love it!!!

It depends. If I want an all around muscle/performance car, hands down it goes to the '67-69 Dart. Best looking A-body out there by far. If I wanted something to be a purpose build race car, I'd go with any 2 dr '63-66 A-body or a '67-69 Valiant only due to weight. If I wanted a cruiser, I'd definitely get a '63-66 wagon.

20150409_090313.jpg

More on the all around best A body:

I'm the guy who started this thread. I've owned at least one of each generation of Abody, but find myself missing one right now. I have a '69 AMX to deal with at the moment, but I'm already looking for an A body- a running project is my preferred method and right now the DUSTER seems to be my pick. My last A was a '72 DUSTER 340/4sp and I did like that car. Too bad it was an original matching numbers vehicle, that was more valuable than what I would want for myself, but I've heard from others that the DUSTER platform was a favorite for the best all around A. Not my favorite body style, but I still like it. I was surprised to discover while parking it in my garage that is was 4" shorter than the midgen A's? Seems everyone has their favorite, but from a purely technical standpoint do the members think the Duster (the last generation- and hopefully for Mopar the best) was likely the best all around A ever made?
IMG_3060.jpg

IMG_3058.jpg

Last edited:
More on the all around best A body:

I'm the guy who started this thread. I've owned at least one of each generation of Abody, but find myself missing one right now. I have a '69 AMX to deal with at the moment, but I'm already looking for an A body- a running project is my preferred method and right now the DUSTER seems to be my pick. My last A was a '72 DUSTER 340/4sp and I did like that car. Too bad it was an original matching numbers vehicle, that was more valuable than what I would want for myself, but I've heard from others that the DUSTER platform was a favorite for the best all around A. Not my favorite body style, but I still like it. I was surprised to discover while parking it in my garage that is was 4" shorter than the midgen A's? Seems everyone has their favorite, but from a purely technical standpoint do the members think the Duster (the last generation- and hopefully for Mopar the best) was likely the best all around A ever made? View attachment 1714980821 View attachment 1714980821
I think so. But what do I know? I'm a 22 year old who wasn't around when these cars were common and the only old cars I've ever driven were a 67 cutlass, 75 Scamp (my first car) and now my 72 Duster.

I think so. But what do I know? I'm a 22 year old who wasn't around when these cars were common and the only old cars I've ever driven were a 67 cutlass, 75 Scamp (my first car) and now my 72 Duster.
My suggestion? Hold on to that Duster. Why? I keep asking myself that question since I've sold so many nice Mopars!Just get it under cover and preserve it! www.nettally.com/penick

Well the latest is supposed to be the greatest, but probably not always. I do know the later ones all had the BBPattern wheels, but I'm stuck in the dark ages as I like the tail panels of the 72 best. I do think they can be swapped, but its not an easy task. George

Last edited:
My suggestion? Hold on to that Duster. Why? I keep asking myself that questions since I've sold so many nice Mopars!Just get it under cover and preserve it! www.nettally.com/penick

Well the latest is supposed to be the greatest, but probably not always. I do know the later ones all had the BBPattern wheels, but I'm stuck in the dark ages as I like the tail panels of the 72 best. I do think they can be swapped, but its not an easy task. George
Believe you me, I have absolutely NO intention of ever getting rid of my 72!! If life gets in the way, I'll stick it in the shop till I can get back to it. I did install BBP discs on the front of mine but like you, the reason I HAD to have a 72 was the tail panel.

I've always been partial to the big slab sided mopars, but my love for A bodies runs neck in neck. Prior to purchasing my 67 Coronet I was looking for a 67-68 Dart....came across this one about 4-5 years ago @ the Pate Swap Meet and regret not trying to deal on it....it was a roller that was just badass!!!

FB_IMG_1476791991608.jpg

you keep on postin' that 66 dart like that and you just might make me an early A fan too.

I have never been anti-early A, it's just that I don't know much about them so I have stayed away and stayed with the later cars which I am very familiar with.

Sweet 66 !!!!
Thanks Rani. This would be your favorite part. This picture was taken when I first saw it for sale.

randailia dart live009.jpg

I like my Demon and my Valiant Station and my son's '70 Dart GT, but from a performanceminded view the best A- Body, which was produced in reasonable numbers (not considered Hemi-Darts or Mr.Norm Demons), was a '71 Duster 340.

A graphic artist's dream as well...

1971_plymouth_duster_340.jpeg

1971_plymouth_duster_340 Ad.jpeg

Class of '71.jpg

I love whatever one is in my garage at the moment the most! I love the '67-'69 fastback Barracudas, with a slight preference for the '68s. They're nice and curvy, just like I've gotten over the years. I also love boxy though. Something like a '67 Valiant looks really sharp to my eye. And then you give me something like a '62 Lancer and you get a cool looking mishmosh of both curvy and boxy, which, come to think of it, is even more like I've gotten over the years.

Last edited:
The Cars liked that image for their album cover too.View attachment 1714980986

The original motive for the Cars Cover was a painting by Pop Art Artist Peter Philips in 72 named Art O Matic Loop Di Loop.
He did some more similar paintings with cars in these years.
This one is in my opinion the best out of them, alas the actual whereabouts of this painting are not known...

artomaticloopdiloop.jpg

I guess it's a matter of "best" for what purpose. The 67/69 valiant post cars are the lightest which probably makes them the best to build a drag car. The big block Darts and Barracudas would probably be some of the best for collectors value. I'm partial to the 67/69 Barracuda fast backs because they had cool body lines and with a 340 you could be pretty quick and with the fold down back seats they were handy so you could sleep there when your spouse kicks you out for buying too much car stuff. I just want to be on the record as saying since I've owned almost all of them I like each and every one in its own way.

Ok, my 2 cents worth.
68 Hemi Barracuda, nuff said.
66 D Dart
67 Formula S Barracuda Notch 273 Commando
76 Dart Lite or Feather Duster
62 Dodge Lancer Station Wagon with a Hyper Pak Slant Six!

LoadingWagon.jpg

Engine.jpg

-
Back