Original Steering Column for '63 Valiant - Question

-

MKUltra

Reaction score
My 1963 Valiant has been through some attempts at modernization through the years, it seems. My current issue is the steering column. I suspect that the column isn't as it was originally, though it's very difficult to find images of the original interior to verify. There's a turn signal assembly that is hose-clamped onto the steering column, which...doesn't seem right. Does anyone have insight/images as to what this looked like originally? I suspect this isn't the original turn signal, but I could be wrong.

IMG_7587.jpeg

I don't have any photos of a 63, but @Princess Valiant might be able to help. That unit is an aftermarket add-on deal. I'm real sure you are missing the original turn signal lever which should go in the column's little rectangular hole in your photo.

I don't have any photos of a 63, but @Princess Valiant might be able to help. That unit is an aftermarket add-on deal. I'm real sure you are missing the original turn signal lever which should go in the column's little rectangular hole in your photo.
Thank you! I reached out to her. I did find some interior photos and you’re 100% correct. Now I’m on the hunt for a replacement lever.

The turn signal you have is an aftermarket setup. The original turn signal lever comes out of the column, where the rectangular slot is. Probably the factory turn signal stuff is missing or broken.

63-66 all used pretty much the same column, albeit with different turn signal wiring plug that comes out of the middle of the column, under the dash. Column shifters will of course have a shift lever coming out of the passenger side of the column, pushbutton and floor shifts won't. Also, power steering shafts are shorter than manual steering shafts. In all cases, the main jacket is gonna be the same - or at least interchangeable with other years. I've run a 63 Valiant column in my 65 Barracuda, and a 65 Barracuda column in my 63 Valiant. (They are back to their correct columns now.)

Here's a somewhat blurry picture of my 65 Barracuda; you should be able to see the chrome turn signal lever coming out of the left side of the column.

1716352110022.jpeg

The turn signal you have is an aftermarket setup. The original turn signal lever comes out of the column, where the rectangular slot is. Probably the factory turn signal stuff is missing or broken.

63-66 all used pretty much the same column, albeit with different turn signal wiring plug that comes out of the middle of the column, under the dash. Column shifters will of course have a shift lever coming out of the passenger side of the column, pushbutton and floor shifts won't. Also, power steering shafts are shorter than manual steering shafts. In all cases, the main jacket is gonna be the same - or at least interchangeable with other years. I've run a 63 Valiant column in my 65 Barracuda, and a 65 Barracuda column in my 63 Valiant. (They are back to their correct columns now.)

Here's a somewhat blurry picture of my 65 Barracuda; you should be able to see the chrome turn signal lever coming out of the left side of the column.

View attachment 1716252962
Great information, thank you! My main question about the column is, in my photo, where the after-market turn signal is mounted, the shaft looks unfinished. I wasn’t sure if it was missing a piece that went over that to make it look nice and finished or if it was just painted and the paint has all rubbed off through the years.

Your '63 looks to be a 3 speed manual shift. The wear on the shift collar looks to be from the add-on turn signal switch. More than likely, you switch went bad and this was the easiest/cheapest way to get them working again at the time. You'd have to pull the steering wheel off to verify. As for the lever, the knob on it should match the shift lever knob. If yours is black, get a turn signal lever with a black knob. If it chrome, get chrome. You'll probably need the mounting screw for it too. Now's the time to do any shifter repairs too. Those "three on the tree" column parts were prone to wear out over the years causing all sorts of slop and shift jams. Lube it up good when reassembling.

Looks like your original column with a missing turn signal lever and an add-on aftermarket turn signal. If originality isn't important to you, and your turn signals work, you could just keep the aftermarket signal you have now.

Hard to say for sure what is missing without removing your steering wheel, but there are replacements available that should be pretty complete. Not cheap, though.

Chrysler 1963 1964 1965 1966 Brand New Turn Signal Switch TS102 2631383 2822170 | eBay

The kit doesn't include the metal retainer that may or may not still be in place under your steering wheel. Also, the kit above doesn't include the plastic plug at the end of the turn signal wiring.

By the way, you'll need a steering wheel puller to get your wheel off.

I guess it was a common part to break and what is in your car must have been a common fix.

Mine has the same problem or fix, which ever way you look at it

20240522_184801.jpg

20240522_185234.jpg

-
Back