Parts cleaner mod

-

halifaxhops

It's going to get stupid around here!
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I should have done this a long time ago, amazing how much better it cleans, only use water based solvent!

DSC02059.JPG
DSC02060.JPG
DSC02061.JPG

Cool idea. The thermostat might need some insulation around it. What temperature do you set?

120, I insulated it with foam board around it did not take that pic though. I overdid the element and what would work better is a 1500 watt one, I put in 3k! Had no idea what would be needed, all available at HD. Cost total around $40

Yeah I wouldnt do that with solvent fluid. I imagine the fumes could get quite bad.
So do you have to replenish often from evaporation?

I use the hell out of it rebuilding distributors, no real evap problems always use it then put the lid down. Every month I have to change the fluid, would love to figure out a way to put a spin on filter in front of the pump.

One caveat...........ADD AN ADDITIONAL SAFETY GROUND to your tank, I mean a big say, no 12 or so piece of wire BOLTED to the tank, and run to an UNBREAKABLE ground point. This is in addition to your "third wire" 3 wire plug.

WHY? Because those heaters can "leak" electric current between the element to the outer tube housing. That would make the tank "hot" above ground

I use the hell out of it rebuilding distributors, no real evap problems always use it then put the lid down. Every month I have to change the fluid, would love to figure out a way to put a spin on filter in front of the pump.

I always "dreamed" of using an old "Luberfiner" cartridge filter. These were used "back then" on most the heavy --mostly logging--trucks around here, and the cartridge was huge, but cheap I don't think you want it before the pump, as the restriction would cause it to cavitate

Thanks Have some ten gauge I could use, had no ide they could leak, not to familiar with this stuff, just enough to be dangerous!

I always "dreamed" of using an old "Luberfiner" cartridge filter. These were used "back then" on most the heavy --mostly logging--trucks around here, and the cartridge was huge, but cheap I don't think you want it before the pump, as the restriction would cause it to cavitate
If and when this pump dies I will get a real pump something like a heater circulation pump for baseboard or something then it would be easy to do a filter.

What cleaner are you using and where do you get it?

I guess you couldn't include part numbers and where you got the stuff? You know......for the stupid out here like me?

One caveat...........ADD AN ADDITIONAL SAFETY GROUND to your tank, I mean a big say, no 12 or so piece of wire BOLTED to the tank, and run to an UNBREAKABLE ground point. This is in addition to your "third wire" 3 wire plug.

WHY? Because those heaters can "leak" electric current between the element to the outer tube housing. That would make the tank "hot" above ground

Good idea....
Ground fault too
Shield around element
I'll do it to mine also.
Thanx

I guess you couldn't include part numbers and where you got the stuff? You know......for the stupid out here like me?
Well for you no. Home depot lower water heater element, temp thermostat and then go one isle over and get a flange that has 1" female thread. Drink a beer when you get home, then drill a hole and put it together! 1500 watt heating element is more than enough. That pass your scrutiny sir?

I've used this in my washer with good success. Even used it when I installed my Wilwood disk brake kit to clean all the backing plates and suspension before painting. Worked great. Directions say 20:1, but I used 2 bottles and then added water to fill line. Probably more like 5:1 or 7:1. Whatever it was, it works good.

1 Gallon Heavy Duty Degreaser

-
Back