PCV Vapor Separator.

-

garyfish340

Reaction score
The Aftermarket automotive performance industry must think people are seriously stupid. Below is a photo of 2 vapor separator, The blue one is the piece I just purchased at Lowes for $24.99. It's made of a nice cast aluminium, w/ glass ampule, with a guard around the outside. It has a powder coated housing, and comes with the brass fittings included, The clear vapor separator on the right, is the piece sold by Jegs, and Summit racing. It looks very cheap, and cost twice the price ( actually almost 3 times the price when you figure in shipping, and handling. ) Even if I had money to burn, I would be totally insulted by the prices Jegs, and Summit list things for.
My Separator has the same filter element the clear one uses, but I want to try the copper scouring pad because a lot of racers report better results, and less clogging.
International Harvestor also has a similar piece available for 12 bucks, if you don't mind it not being clear glass, and their's is made of some type of PVC plastic.

Attachments

• filter.jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 202
  • 10903994_846838735379300_3593231375224248098_o.jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 196
  • 10506562_846838432045997_7249414351518206743_o.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 181
you lost me. what does it do on your car
Okay I'm not certain that I understand it all that clearly either. But I live buy this former GM engineer, who designed all these exotic prototype turbo charger application corvette engines. So he was interested in what I was doing because ( believe it or not ) the mule for this quad turbo GM engine was a Plymouth Duster with Quad Turbos. That said the guy is like Doc from back to the future, and he's tuning on my carburetor, which was hopelessly shot from dirt.
The vacuum from the engine evacs the crank case completely, and the canister catches the sludge. I'll have to ask for a more complete definition, but what something to the extent of , The atmosphere does not provide negative pressure. So when you depend on the atmosphere, you get the crank case gas, but not the moisture, that gets suck through the breather. Eventually the sludge forms, it gets on everything, even the check ball on the pcv, once the check ball is compromised, it does things like blowing valve cover gaskets out, and even destroying engines. If you take a pcv, and hose running to the air cleaner, the throat of the carb will pull vacuum and evac, but it's really not enough. so than they started running the hose to the intake vacuum, but than the sludge created carbon deposits on the pistons rings, and valves, so now they have a actual canister on cars that is supposed to be cleaned every oil change. On circle track cars they run the hose up hill so the oil can't escape, and that gets the fumes out but it leaves the sludge in the hose. The idea is to vacuum the sludge out of the engine. It's a cheesy way of having a vacuum pump, like moroso makes. ( the header evac systems only pull vacuum at high rpms )
So now that I managed to confuse all of that up. With the vapor separator, you can drain your oil, and there should be minimal sludge build up ( the gunk that won't drain ) and the oil should stay cleaner longer, and the carb with be at a leaner setting than before you started because ( even new engines ) the fuel blow by is being burned.
I hope I got some of this correct. I understood it when I commented on it, because it was freshly explained. $ 24 bucks at Lowes, it's bigger, and better built, than the Jegs version, and half the price, but doesn't have a bracket. P.S. The fuel lines are for test purposes, I know it's messy.

Attachments

• 10903994_846838735379300_3593231375224248098_o.jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 118
-
Back