Pie cut my brake pedal and new door panels.

-

Cope

Fusing with fire
Reaction score
My pops drove the dart the other day and complained about how far the brake pedal was out front of the gas pedal. He was biching up and down how it's not safe and if I ever need to do a emergency stop I'll hit the side of the pedal. I don't know. I been driving this car for 10 years and never noticed it but after looking at it can see what he's complaining about.

Today I cleaned the pedal arm and made some cuts then pushed on it with my foot until it matches the plane of the gas pedal.

I think it will take me ten more years to not lift my foot, move over and press, VS just move over and press...

But it's done now.

Sorry no before pic.

20170526_190402_zpsqruc4mnb.jpg

Also got the door panels done.

20170526_212205_zpsoyojssoq.jpg

Still struggling with how to hide the pivot on the door handle...

I'd be more prone to shorten the pushrod then cut the brake pedal arm. Door panels look slick
Or raise the gas pedal? Add carpet and insulation and it doesnt look like you have a lot of travel left..... especially if you pop a brake line on one half of the system or the master cylinder starts going bad, requiring more pedal travel.

Hopefully you still have enough pedal travel to fully engage the brakes when you really need them...

I didn't actually think of that but it's solid welded. That pic is before the welding.

Out of all the things I've welded on the car and worried about the breaks is the least of my worries.
:)

The welder I used could weld a battleship.

I do have travel left (that was a big concern of mine) this car will never have carpet, it's a race car.

Dammit, the issue of blowing a line never occurred to me. At that point I'll just have to pump faster?

My pops drove the dart the other day and complained about how far the brake pedal was out front of the gas pedal. ..............Today I cleaned the pedal arm and made some cuts then pushed on it with my foot until it matches the plane of the gas pedal.

I think it will take me ten more years to not lift my foot, move over and press, VS just move over and press... View attachment 1715051682

I think this was a huge mistake. You lost "travel" there which you just might need "on that day." There has been bullions and bullions of these cars manufactured, and I've never heard anyone complain about the brake pedal position. In my younger days, working, I often wore size 11 boots, and never once was the two of them a problem. I'm not that graceful, either

Carl_Sagan_BillionsAndBillions.jpg

I bought my dart when I was 15 and drove it all through high school. Plenty of emergency stops and never had an issue. Like he door panels though!

While I agree that some of the ergonomics on these cars isn't perfect I'd rather have less than ideal ergonomics than a brake pedal without enough travel. Raising the gas pedal would have been the better way to go about this.

The brake pedal is that high to keep you from accidentally hitting the gas at the same time. Also you need all the travel to make use of the dual piston master cylinder. I would say it was safer the way it was before.

Don't you just hate when right after you've done something really nice for someone else, and then the oh-chit moment hits you?
I stopped initiating doing nice things for my wife, cuz it was always nice in my mind, but somehow it never got me the results I was after. Who can understand women?!
Put new braided flex-hoses on and forget about it.
I know, I know somebody is gonna say 'Well what if the master fails", or what about if the rear 'adjusters quit", or,or....
You know what;what if the world explodes tomorrow?
The chances of either happening are slim to none.
Let the old man be happy for a bit, will ya.............
You got lotsa shut-down area right,lol.

Thanks AJ, worst case I dump the chute, best case, it's never an issue.

-
Back