Please Help Me Identify What I Have

-

Valkman

Reaction score
I just bought a a-body A-833 That seems to be pieced together. I has an aluminum case, a cast iron tail shaft, and an old style ball type cover with bronze forks. The guy I bought it from said he thinks it came of a early 70"s Dart but who knows?

Hear are some Pictures with all the #'s:

The Case #s
Case.jpg

Cast case.jpg

The tail shaft #
Tail.jpg

The cover#
cover.jpg

Looks like a 1977 OD

they had aluminum cases on the later ones which make them less desirable. ( hope you didn't pay a lot)

you might have the 26 spline output shaft, which was typical but light duty.

This is great for fuel mileage behind a slant six or 318 but I wouldn't count on it being anything high performance, at least not without extensive modifications

7B so it is from a 1977 model year car built at Hamtramck.

Thanks all. If it's an OD would the tall shaft be cast iron

I ran a 1977 OD street and strip for a few years in a Duster-no problems. all aluminum except side cover, had 904/ 26 or 27 spline output. with slicks at the track for 12 s . with a 5.13 rear gear. did not really like the extra noise of the overdrive gear going thru the cluster.

DSCF0244.JPG

DSCF0248.JPG

DSCF0250.JPG

Well I think the one I have has been pieced together then since its got a cast iron tall shaft and the old style shift cover. Is there a way I can tell if it's an OD by looking at the internals?

easy way to check-rotate input counting how many revs it takes to get the output to rotate once. like for an overdrive-in 1st gear rotate input 3.09 times for 1 rev of output. in 2nd 1.67 revs of input for 1 of output. in 3rd 1 to 1. in 4th .7 revs of input = 1 rev of output

Which lever (direction ) would be overdrive?

the front lever is 3 and 4 in a regular 4 speed with the arm pointing up, or 1:1 and overdrive (with the lever arm pointing down) in a overdrive trans. And the rear location with the lever arm pointing up is 1 and 2. just play with them and count revs and U will figure it out

-
Back