Please refresh my memory on tranny interchange

-

e50095

Reaction score
I found a really nice 87 D100 with a slant and a bad 727. I'd love it to have it for dump runs and to haul my kayaks. Can I use the 904 I have from a 68 or so Valiant? I wasn't sure if I'd run into tail shaft problems, or possibly need to swap the input shaft from the driveshafts. I appreciate any advice......thanks...

Ken in Shrewsbury, PA

The valiant will have a 904 unless someone put a 727 in it. Are you sure that's a 727 in the truck? I know they did that in the 70's but not sure in the 80's. They had a short and long tail 727 and if it's the short tail you may be able to just swap the 904 yoke on the driveshaft and swap trans. Pics of the truck trans? Measure your 904 from bellhousing to tail shaft and the same on that truck. IF they are the same length it may be a simple swap.

904 is shorter, but other than that as long as it also came from a slant and the converter goes with it it'll work.

TF-727-AMC-Transmission-Mount-Dims-A.jpg

You never have to change the yokes as there is a Spicer U-joint that has 7260 and 7290 ends. I have used it several times in the past and even on race cars that I switched pumpkins on.

The 727 and 904 use different slip yokes. The 727/833 is the same and 904 and 3 speed is the same.

-
Back