Popping fuse when stepping on brakes

-

wanahemi

Reaction score
Weird electrical problem happened today while taking my 68' Dart around. First noticed my factory amp gauge pegging the 'D' side in rhythm with the turn signal on in left position. Flasher clicking but no light on dash or on fender. Turned it off, then on again (left) and saw my aftermarket voltmeter had a major draw up and down also with the rhythm of the flasher. Saw a whisp of white smoke from the steering column. Made it home without turn signals & found out no brake or parking lights either. Found fuse popped. Replaced fuse. Tested parking lights, ok. Pressed brake pedal, pop, fuse blew. Not sure if I have one short or a couple. Will pull steering wheel to check the turn signal switch.

First take out light bulbs. One could be shorted, I have seen it.

Might be right in the TS switch. Pull the harness from the switch connector look up wire colors for flasher input and switched brake (white I think) and ohm them to ground while moving the switch handle.

Otherwise might be pinched harness going to the rear, or bulb/ socket problems as mentioned. Find the left/ right turn wire colors at the TS switch harness connector and ohm them. They will be low, but should not be zero. Ohm a turn sig bulb for comparison

X2 on the bulbs. Seen it a good bit.

Improper "lay" of rear harness can pinch under rear seat

That's what my Dart did, and it turned out to be a melted bulkhead connector that shorted the brake light wire to some other overheated wires.

-
Back