Power Brake Booster for 65 Barracuda ?

-

RichB

CherryCuda65
Reaction score
Do you know a good source for a replacement or rebuild for the power brake booster and master cylinder on my 1965 Barracuda? I want it to bolt in and hook up like stock. I've got the drum brakes.

I will be using a 68 or so booster to replace the original 65 booster and vacuum storage tank that came in my 65 wagon. I had it rebuilt and re-anodized by Booster Dewey (Power Brake Booster Exchange). As long as you use the offset bracket (seen bolted to my booster), pretty much any A,B, C, E, etc booster will work. Booster Dewey can rebuilt your original as well. Hope this helps.
IMG_6449.JPG

Booster Dewey has done two for me. He also had to replace a mounting stud on each one. And you get a free bag of M&M's in the box he sends back! I would use him again.

Can I ask about the offset bracket? From which vehicle did that come from? The same as the booster?

Can I ask about the offset bracket? From which vehicle did that come from? The same as the booster?

Yes. I believe all A Body boosters from 67 on up to 76 uses the same offset bracket.

My booster is approximately 8 in diameter, others are flatter and maybe 10/11 inches in diameter and they will work as well.

What are for the tradeoffs using a booster with an offset bracket compared to using my original 65? Does it interfere with the vacuum Canister or windshield washer Jug? Does the steel brake line bolt up? Does the booster bolt up to my power brake pedal?

The offset bracket allows more clearance between the booster and a V8. Your original moves everything closer to the firewall to do the same thing. The booster I'm using is self contained as far as vacuum is concerned so the tank on the inner fender is not used or necessary. No clearance issues with the washer reservoir either. With your booster you must use that vacuum storage tank. I hope you would not be re-using your single pot master cylinder! If you did the brake line will not fit (too short). I would convert to a dual pot master cylinder and then bend (or buy) new master cylinder to junction block lines. The offset bracket comes with the pushrod that will bolt to your brake pedal - it's on the far left coming out of the offset brackets).

Also, the original '65 booster has a single diaphragm which I think is ceramic and doesn't work very well. Years ago Booster Dewey rebuilt mine and warned me that they have a high failure rate. He was right. Mine only lasted a few months. It could be that the diaphragm material is NLA. But basically the newer version is much better. I just never knew I could use a later mounting bracket. Good news.

The offset bracket allows more clearance between the booster and a V8. Your original moves everything closer to the firewall to do the same thing. The booster I'm using is self contained as far as vacuum is concerned so the tank on the inner fender is not used or necessary. No clearance issues with the washer reservoir either. With your booster you must use that vacuum storage tank. I hope you would not be re-using your single pot master cylinder! If you did the brake line will not fit (too short). I would convert to a dual pot master cylinder and then bend (or buy) new master cylinder to junction block lines. The offset bracket comes with the pushrod that will bolt to your brake pedal - it's on the far left coming out of the offset brackets).

It sounds like the newer booster and master cylinder is the way to go. I like the gold chromate booster. Where can I get all of this (best deal) ?

Lines? More than one to the junction Block?

It sounds like the newer booster and master cylinder is the way to go. I like the gold chromate booster. Where can I get all of this (best deal) ?

IN would keep my eyes peeled on the ForSale ads hereon FABO. That's where I found the one in my picture which Booster Dewey rebuilt and did the gold dichromate. I found another booster set-up identical to the first one which I have not sent to him yet. The plan is to use the first one onmy wagon and the 2nd one on my Barracuda.

Lines? More than one to the junction Block?

2 lines to the junction block - 1 for the front 1 for the rear since I will use a dual chamber master cylinder.

65 Dart Charger rebuilt his original in his restoration thread. I think he said it was the same as a Pontiac for parts.

There are new boosters w brackets & MC for $140 on ebay. Not exact OE look, but close enough for most.

IN would keep my eyes peeled on the ForSale ads hereon FABO. That's where I found the one in my picture which Booster Dewey rebuilt and did the gold dichromate. I found another booster set-up identical to the first one which I have not sent to him yet. The plan is to use the first one onmy wagon and the 2nd one on my Barracuda.

2 lines to the junction block - 1 for the front 1 for the rear since I will use a dual chamber master cylinder.

Is a vacuum check valve always used in line between the booster and the intake?

-
Back